VW tranponder systems explained: immo2, immo3, immo4

dmp

TDI
15 Golf, 13 Golf (for sale)
I've seen a few topics on the subject but yet to find a clear explanation. I did write this quickly and I'm sure it could use some edits but it's a starting point. I am happy to elaborate on any of the information listed, I just ask that you reference me if you're reposting the information anywhere!

VW immobilizers (Golf/Jetta/Passat)

immo2 - North American cars 2000-2001 (some vw/audi)
Keys are programmed to the dash only, do not write anything to the chip, can be reprogrammed on another immo2 car. Immo3 chips can be programmed to immo2 cars if unlocked. Programming can be done via vcds as long as you have the SKC.

immo3 - 2002-2005ish (depends on chassis)
Keys are programmed in the dash but dash and ecu are synched with 'component security' (CS), the same info that is written to the chip of the key. 6 bytes are often in the ecu (sometimes 7) but 7 are in the dash. No special coding is required to the chip before programming, it just must be virgin or locked to that particular car's CS (ie a key already used on that car). Programming can be done with vcds as long as you have the SKC.

immo4 (2005.5+, mk5/mk6)
Early immo4 cars, 2005.5 and 2006 may or may not require precoding the key before programming. I have done several 05.5 and 06's with new chips but they must be 'CAN' chips. Ordinary id48 glass chips can be converted to a VW CAN chip if you have the proper tools and lock to the car once programmed like an immo3 chip.
2007+ cars require precoding (exception is the city golf/jetta that still uses immo3) the chip before programming to the car. The CS bytes are written to the key (making it a 'dealer key')and it is locked if you order the key from the vw dealer so their equipment can add it to the dashboard. For these cars, you cannot simply go to a vw dealer with a virgin chip with cut blade and have them program your car. I have heard several different excuses why but the truth is that most do not fully understand the electronics behind the system (some do, many don't) and they have just been told that only dealer keys ordered from VW will work. There are some aftermarket solutions that can do this on mk5/mk6 cars but as of now, the dealer isn't capable. Once you have a precoded key/dealer key, it can be programmed into the dash to start the car.

Programming can apparently be done with VCDS if you have a 'dealer key' and the proper pin but I have only tried a few times and it didn't seem to work. I'm sure it can be done, I just use other tools that are more straightforward to get it done!

There are essentially two parts to the immobilizer chip, the fixed code that is written to the dashboard and the writable section that is written with CS when the chip is locked to the car. Both pieces must match before the key will be accepted by the car to allow it to start. This is why used keys/chips cannot be reused.

Very happy to answer any questions on this topic as I have dealt with many different systems and models. Will try to elaborate and add pictures in the future if desired.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Both pieces must match before the key will be accepted by the car to allow it to start. This is why used keys/chips cannot be reused.
This part is not true, I have rewritten immobilizer 3 chips to 2 different clusters on my car (this means that the immo chip has been used on 3 different cluster, original, the second one I had in the car and now the current one in my car). It seems you can adapt the immo3 chips to as many clusters as you like. I even rewrote and immobilizer chip from a different VW car which had the immo2 cluster.

dmp

TDI
This part is not true, I have rewritten immobilizer 3 chips to 2 different clusters on my car. It seems you can adapt the immo3 chips to as many clusters as you like. I even rewrote and immobilizer chip from a different VW car which had the immo2 cluster.
There are some specifics in this case that allow it: when your new/replacement cluster is adapted to your immo3 car, the CS bytes align and the key can be reused (this is different than if you used them in a different car) since the dash is setup the same way as your original.

The immo2 key can be used on a immo3 car only if if it's a magic2 transponder (newer version that is backward compatible). If it is magic1, it isn't as easy. The main reason for this is the immo2 dash only cares about the specific transponder identifier and not the CS and does not lock the chip, thereby keeping it like a virgin chip. All keys from VW for probably/close to a decade have been magic2 chips, regardless of immo2/immo3.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Now that's an interesting note about magic2 chips, didn't know about that. Regardless, reusing a magic2 chip from an immo2 car was the same process to adapt as the my original key, so on that bases I say that you can adapt any magic2 chip from any car to your own car...

dmp

TDI
Now that's an interesting note about magic2 chips, didn't know about that. Regardless, reusing a magic2 chip from an immo2 car was the same process to adapt as the my original key, so on that bases I say that you can adapt any magic2 chip from any car to your own car...
That is correct, I just wouldn't rely on them being a magic2 chip unless you knew or could read the chip information to confirm (I don't like saying something can be done and have people try unsucessfully, especially if they take it to a dealer to program it and have to pay for something that doesn't work)

Non-CAN immo3 chips can actually be unlocked as well, but you need some transponder equipment to do it - something that has only been cracked in the past couple of years (that I know of)

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I've seen a few topics on the subject but yet to find a clear explanation. I did write this quickly and I'm sure it could use some edits but it's a starting point. I am happy to elaborate on any of the information listed, I just ask that you reference me if you're reposting the information anywhere!

VW immobilizers (Golf/Jetta/Passat)

immo2 - North American cars 2000-2001 (some vw/audi)
Keys are programmed to the dash only, do not write anything to the chip, can be reprogrammed on another immo2 car. Immo3 chips can be programmed to immo2 cars if unlocked. Programming can be done via vcds as long as you have the SKC.

immo3 - 2002-2005ish (depends on chassis)
Keys are programmed in the dash but dash and ecu are synched with 'component security' (CS), the same info that is written to the chip of the key. 6 bytes are often in the ecu (sometimes 7) but 7 are in the dash. No special coding is required to the chip before programming, it just must be virgin or locked to that particular car's CS (ie a key already used on that car). Programming can be done with vcds as long as you have the SKC.

immo4 (2005.5+, mk5/mk6)
Early immo4 cars, 2005.5 and 2006 may or may not require precoding the key before programming. I have done several 05.5 and 06's with new chips but they must be 'CAN' chips. Ordinary id48 glass chips can be converted to a VW CAN chip if you have the proper tools and lock to the car once programmed like an immo3 chip.
2007+ cars require precoding (exception is the city golf/jetta that still uses immo3) the chip before programming to the car. The CS bytes are written to the key (making it a 'dealer key')and it is locked if you order the key from the vw dealer so their equipment can add it to the dashboard. For these cars, you cannot simply go to a vw dealer with a virgin chip with cut blade and have them program your car. I have heard several different excuses why but the truth is that most do not fully understand the electronics behind the system (some do, many don't) and they have just been told that only dealer keys ordered from VW will work. There are some aftermarket solutions that can do this on mk5/mk6 cars but as of now, the dealer isn't capable. Once you have a precoded key/dealer key, it can be programmed into the dash to start the car.

Programming can apparently be done with VCDS if you have a 'dealer key' and the proper pin but I have only tried a few times and it didn't seem to work. I'm sure it can be done, I just use other tools that are more straightforward to get it done!

There are essentially two parts to the immobilizer chip, the fixed code that is written to the dashboard and the writable section that is written with CS when the chip is locked to the car. Both pieces must match before the key will be accepted by the car to allow it to start. This is why used keys/chips cannot be reused.

Very happy to answer any questions on this topic as I have dealt with many different systems and models. Will try to elaborate and add pictures in the future if desired.
I have one word for you "KISS" and there is lots of resources out there that explains it much better and with pictures. Yup I'm an ******* for saying this, But it is what it is.

Andrew

dmp

TDI
I have one word for you "KISS" and there is lots of resources out there that explains it much better and with pictures. Yup I'm an ******* for saying this, But it is what it is.

Andrew
Thank you for your feedback. Would you please provide some links sharing this information you're referring to? (don't rip the information off of them, just share the wealth for the benefit of all concerned)

I have seen excellent descriptions of immo2 and immo3 programming but there has always been something missing in those reports. I have seen so much mis-information about immo4 and with reading the number of people wasting money going to the dealer to program keys that can't be programmed, I was compelled to share some information about systems that I have been working with for years. I apologize if I wasn't super clear, I will try to break it down a bit better and explain it better but hopefully I can save some people some $$ in the meantime. The systems are deliberately complicated to make them difficult to defeat and require a more complex breakdown to make sense of them.

I'd love some constructive feedback, whether on this thread or via PM and I will do my best to clarify for everyone.

I have benefited from others experience in the past so I just want to pass along some expertise that I have.

Cheers

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
so buying a used fob off ebay for a 2012 Passat Kessy (immo V...right?) is a waste of time and money...and cannot be reprogrammed...ever...True ?

Is that what you're saying...?

dmp

TDI

dmp

TDI
so buying a used fob off ebay for a 2012 Passat Kessy (immo V...right?) is a waste of time and money...and cannot be reprogrammed...ever...True ?

Is that what you're saying...?
From my experience, kessy remotes would have to be unlocked (I personally don't have the ability to do that yet) before reusing them since the remote is linked to the transponder on these models (even though they're in the same physical key on non-kessy cars, they are independent systems).

I have only worked successfully with virgin kessy keys but don't deal with them often enough to confirm either way.

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Amacd, not to seem like an *******, but I didn't find those links of much use, I have searched endlessly to find help with my cluster programming, and dmp has provided some really good info, more then what what those links provide (or those links are more difficult to understand). I personally found these links way more helpful when it comes to cluster swaps and Immo info...

http://uk-mkivs.net/mobiquo/smartba...e3a5&board_url=http://uk-mkivs.net&lang=en-gb

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/10689-mk4-golf-and-bora-speedo-instrument-cluster/#1096416

amacd

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Amacd, not to seem like an *******, but I didn't find those links of much use, I have searched endlessly to find help with my cluster programming, and dmp has provided some really good info, more then what what those links provide (or those links are more difficult to understand). I personally found these links way more helpful when it comes to cluster swaps and Immo info...

http://uk-mkivs.net/mobiquo/smartba...e3a5&board_url=http://uk-mkivs.net&lang=en-gb

http://uk-mkivs.net/topic/10689-mk4-golf-and-bora-speedo-instrument-cluster/#1096416
They were the first links that popped up when I gooled it. I didn't actually even look at them. But thanks though.

Andrew

mjhandy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I read the ross tech link regarding this, and for the Treg, it was a dealer visit. Got a free car wash and coffee while i was there :)

shak911

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-372000KM
From my experience, kessy remotes would have to be unlocked (I personally don't have the ability to do that yet) before reusing them since the remote is linked to the transponder on these models (even though they're in the same physical key on non-kessy cars, they are independent systems).
I have only worked successfully with virgin kessy keys but don't deal with them often enough to confirm either way.
Hey...can we hook up..I need the help of an experienced individual like you..
I am having issues with my immo(kessy)..car starts and drives, but first I must go through a starting sequence of pressing buttons and depressing pedals...not quite a 747..better to explain it in person...then we can post and share your findings.
You can PM me....thank you in advance.