VW to offer performance diesel Golf GTD

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Saw one of these while in Italy last week. Sharp looking car, a refresh of the Mk V Golf/Rabbit; not sure but I think I prefer the Mk V look, but still, pretty cool. I'd really like a Blue Motion though. My favourite find there was a Blue Motion B6 Passat wagon like mine. For that, I would trade in a heartbeat.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
stevehecht said:
p-jetta-tdi-cup-replica-coming/[/url]
I'm curious to hear how tdi clubbers take this news--whether the extra hp is an unnecessary and wasteful frill, or whether it's a gotta-have-it product from VW. I'm a bit of both, but definitely leaning towards the latter. I wonder how much the mileage will take a hit. I'm also a bit surprised that VWaG would spend the bucks to get this engine evaluated by EPA--unless they're also planning to use it with other vehicles.
By the time a GTD gets to North America, the chip tuners will have a 170-hp tune ready for uploading to the ECM. So Volkswagen doesn't really need to offer that engine spec, not if it means adding greater complexity to the emissions system.

rme

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Gotta Love'm

Once again VW demonstrates how they are able to snatch defeat from the jaws of success......

If you build it they will come!!!!

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
rme said:
Once again VW demonstrates how they are able to snatch defeat from the jaws of success......

If you build it they will come!!!!
VW is one of the most successful car companies in the world. One therefore assumes that they know what they're doing and each decision to offer/not offer a model to a specific market is based on sound reasoning.

We may not like that reasoning, but I'm pretty sure they're sound business reasons.

Mechnurse

Veteran Member
TDI
97/2K/05/15 Passat 06 Jetta TDI
If VW continues at this rate, I will be waiting for a real performance diesel. BMW here I come.:D A 1 :cool:or 3 :eek:series is fine for me

HopefulFred

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2006, Indigo Blue
PlaneCrazy said:
A 120d would be great, as would a 320d. The 335d is way too much money and car for my needs.
For effin real. The hold-up from BMW is killing me. Of course, VW does the same things. The JSW TDI was only available with virtually all the options - the MkV Rabbit got no TDI at all - and it always seems like the manual trans is the first thing to be removed from the options list - like with the Audi A3 TDI.

But a 120d with a six-speed would be awesome. You'd get all that cool BMW brake stuff - the regenerative braking, the hill-start assist, and the auto-start-stop. But I'd only want it that way - with five doors.

Anyway, I'll put my tongue back in my mouth.

tiguando

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan (Hopefully)
stevehecht said:
I'm also a bit surprised that VWaG would spend the bucks to get this engine evaluated by EPA--unless they're also planning to use it with other vehicles.
I'm sure they will be using it in the new midsize sedan to be built in Tennessee.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yesterday I tried to build a 2010 Golf and Jetta on the vw.ca website. Infuriating: you need to select the DSG to be able to get ESP on the low-end models. Only on the highline (and comfortline TDI wagon) can you get ESP with manual.

No ESP and manual = no deal for me.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
PlaneCrazy said:
Yesterday I tried to build a 2010 Golf and Jetta on the vw.ca website. Infuriating: you need to select the DSG to be able to get ESP on the low-end models.
Is ESP really an option?
In Europe, it has been standard equipment on any A5 and A6, even the 80hp base models. Kind of hard to sell anything without ESP these days.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
PlaneCrazy said:
Yesterday I tried to build a 2010 Golf and Jetta on the vw.ca website. Infuriating: you need to select the DSG to be able to get ESP on the low-end models. Only on the highline (and comfortline TDI wagon) can you get ESP with manual.

No ESP and manual = no deal for me.

On the US website, http://www.vw.com/vwfeatures/golf/en/us/ , all Golf models both gas and diesel get ESP, ASR and ADL as standard features.
EDL - Electronic Differential Lock
ASR - Anti-Slip Regulation/traction control (part of ESP)
ESP - Electronic Stabilization Program

And ABS, antilock braking system, of course.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Sadly, ESP is not yet standard on most Canadian VW models, and certainly not on base Golfs and Jettas. On models where it's optional it's an extra $450. The "build your own" won't let you build a base Golf or Jetta with ESP unless you also select DSG (for the diesels).

droit

TDI
09 JSW TDI 6M
Very weird. It seems so strange to have such diverse range of options and standard features when we are so close. You can get some features on the wagon that we cannot, leather as well as the highline MFD.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Be aware that the EDL is not truly an electric differential lock. I hoped it really was with winter driving conditions being what they are here. Instead, the computer senses a drive wheel slipping and feathers the brake on that wheel to allow the non-slipping wheel to have the better traction. I'm betting a true EDL would be heavier, more expensive and more prone to failure.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
True, but it works well, for a road car.
I remember last winter climbing a short cca. 20% incline with one wheel on transparent clear ice and the other on dry tarmac (some water had been spilling onto one half of the road, and only a 2-foot wide swath was clear of ice).
I was surprized I could do it myself.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If VWoA does not offer a GTD, one can always build his own -- with some suspension mods, some interior upgrades, and a chip. The Golf owner can probably do it for thousands less, too.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
dasteph said:
If it comes no dealer will accept less than MSRP--I'm miffed about their attitudes these days
Niche marketing tactics. Produce a few, create a false demand, jack up the profit margin because of said demand.

Chrysler tried to exist with this practice and we see where they are now.

Hopefully VW is smarter than this.

You survived the long run with happy customers that return over and over and you make money by selling more, not less with artificial surcharges that gouge your customers. It is the economic efficiencies of mass production that save your butt.

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Just a further update on the GTD for NA.

Just got this back this morning from VWoNA... from my enquiry last night about the GTD question...

Thank you for visiting the Volkswagen website. Your comments regarding
the GTD are greatly appreciated.
We assure you, we investigate all engines for their use and demand in
the North American region. However, at this time, there are no plans to
offer the GTD model in the United States or Canada.
The 2010 Golf VI will feature an optional 2.0 TDI clean diesel engine,
which will produce 140-horsepower at 4000 rpm and an impressive 236
lbs.-ft. of torque between 1750 and 2500 rpm, bringing a no compromises
alternative fuel driving experience to the all new Golf.
Please feel free to keep in touch with us for future updates.
Thanks again for visiting vw.com!

Wanda
Volktalk
Might already be common knowledge, but figured I'd add a fresh response to the thread for those new to the topic.

*Emphasis added by me, to call out the important point. ;)