VW to brand EVs 'Voltswagen' in U.S., source confirms

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Not a typo.

VW to brand EVs 'Voltswagen' in U.S., source confirms

A press release leaked online Monday revealed that Volkswagen of America will use the brand name “Voltswagen” to differentiate its line of electric vehicles, which began deliveries to U.S. dealers this month.

Automotive News has independently confirmed the authenticity of the planned change with a person familiar with the company's plans, and that it is not an April Fools' Day joke.

The person said the change is in keeping with the company’s “all electric” future in the U.S.

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I will keep my 'Diesel'wagen (Jetta) and 'Gas'wagen (GTI), no interest at this time or in the future for a volt/electric car. My next car will also be an ICE.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I missed this thread yesterday and started another on the same subject. I'm a big fan of EVs and modernization of our energy consumption/production in general, but this name change idea is poor marketing, imo. Assuming it's not a joke.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Too bad. I actually sort of wished they'd pull the trigger and do it. It's kinda smart, fitting and obvious once you put it in context in a cheeky sort of way.

Oh, well, let the scramble to trademark "Voltswagen" begin if it hasn't already.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
This story (of how this was reported, "confirmed", then unconfirmed) is actually quite a good little microcosm of the decline of journalism in the "BREAKING NEWS!" / click-bait era.
Explained quite well in this little mini-thread, summed up by this:
So, if the PR people are being evasive to direct questions, there are no trademark registrations anywhere on earth, the brand history is too valued, the costs are too high, the benefits too temporary and the whole thing close to April 1, why weren't they more skeptical?

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB