VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
Some have received

I did not see the cards, but a service advisor at Kelly VW in MA, said a customer or two received their cards Friday after Thanksgiving.......

308jerry

TDI
VW Passat
The free three year roadside is worth a bunch. When the turbo went out on the 12 Passat, the towing bill was over 1600 bucks, we're 260 mls from the nearest dealer.

mxs

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I went to www.vwemissionsinfo.ca and entered my VIN and updated my contact info.
Haven't heard anything since. And didn't get a confirmation # like they did in the US.
So I don't know if I did it correctly or not. :confused:
I have not received a peep either. VW Canada approach is beyond lame. They are all wasting their time making the last commercial. LOL ... like that will help them to retain the customer base???

cupcake

TDI
2015 Golf TDI 6M
I talked to a VW salesman today in Urbana, IL and he also said a few people came in last week to activate their cards. Excitingggg!

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Yeah

I got a lowball offer for my 2014 TDI w/7k miles.
I told them to stick it up thier ass. it wasn't any better than what Edmunds lists my car for.. in fact it was lower. It was the BASE Trade in value. they didn't add for equipment, mileage, and condition.

screw em. I'll get a Malone, APR, or Revo tune, lock the ECU down.

I like the car.. it performs well.. incredible effeciency.. I hate Volkswagen ..
Probably never have the car services at a dealership again. staying out of there as long as I can. Hopefully I'll find a german motorsports shop that know how to work on TDIs. Either that or it's time for me to learn something new.

Has anyone else received mailers from local dealers offering to match a portion of the dealer cash offered if you allow them to activate your cards? I got one from SouthWest VW over the weekend.
http://www.southwestvolkswagen.com/GoodWillProgram.html

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
You are going to take a bath trading in a one or two year old car no matter what. It's just not a wise way to buy cars on limited resources.

Rayzer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I got a lowball offer for my 2014 TDI w/7k miles.
I told them to stick it up thier ass. it wasn't any better than what Edmunds lists my car for.. in fact it was lower. It was the BASE Trade in value. they didn't add for equipment, mileage, and condition.

screw em. I'll get a Malone, APR, or Revo tune, lock the ECU down.

I like the car.. it performs well.. incredible effeciency.. I hate Volkswagen ..
Probably never have the car services at a dealership again. staying out of there as long as I can. Hopefully I'll find a german motorsports shop that know how to work on TDIs. Either that or it's time for me to learn something new.
There's a really good guy/shop in Springfield/Agwam..he'salso a Malone dealer. 413 Auto Repair (Mike)

the beave

TDI
2015 Jetta TDI S
Probably...;)

But let me explain a little further:

Their core problem now is that they did something bad, something really bad, something so bad, which no other car company did on that scale ever. And that this fact is going to eat into their further sales.

So their main problem is, as I see it, decline in future sales, or likely, multi-year decline in them.

These gifts, while definitely a welcomed gesture by each individual recipient, I doubt are going to A) convince a customer who is on the fence about their brand, or B) sway a pissed off customer back into considering their brand. So I don't think they contribute to fixing the main problem. These of us, who are current owners and are not offended will buy another VW with, or without these cards. And certainly, the people who were potential customers, but did not own an affected car, and are now saying "Nah!", are not going to jump on the bandwagon because their neighbor got a $1,000.

The way I see it, most current owners made up their minds about the brand BEFORE the cards were offered. These that will not consider VW anymore, are not going to change their mind. They will eat/drink $500, and buy tires and oil changes for the other $500, and when their VW car expire, will go next doors to shop for a replacement.

Here is what I would do: I would enter into a partnership with Visa, and establish a VW credit card (they had one 15 years ago) which would offer up to a $1,000 (prorated based on spending level) per year towards a new car and accumulative for up to 5 years.

If at any time prior to reaching the full $5,000, a card owner decides to buy a new VW, they would chip in $1,700 in the first year, $1,400 in the second year, $1,100 in the third, $800 in the fourth and $500 in the fifth, so the customer would have from $2,700 to $5,500 towards a purchase of a new car, depending on what year they activate the bonus.

During this program VW is out of pocket $500-$1,700 depending on the year the customer activates the bonus, and - of course - would average out some over time.

And - drum roll - I would offer this plan to existing customers, and to people who never owned a VW.

I am pretty sure this program would have a greater positive impact on their sales, emphasizing the near, and more difficult years. And would probably cost them the same, or darn close to these two cards they are busy printing now, and would bring in new, never owning a VW customers.
This is a damned Good idea. In fact it's a great idea.
Why don't people like you work in the higher up places at Volkswagen???? Too much logical sense I guess.
Good Work.
the beave

MotoTDI

TDI
Mk6 Golf
This is a damned Good idea. In fact it's a great idea.
Why don't people like you work in the higher up places at Volkswagen???? Too much logical sense I guess.
Good Work.
the beave
Sorry, the idea sounds like a 'Cluster Fxxx'. Retaining customers is far less expensive compared to acquiring new customers. The Volkswagen GROUP's (VW, AUDI, PORSCHE, BENTLEY, ETC.) priority #1 is to keep current customers loyal and bringing closure to the diesel problem.

Current customers are 'vetted' customers (income credit worthiness, etc.) who have bought cars and will probably buy a more expensive car in the future from the VW group. VW Group car owners want to feel good about the brand. Therefore, spending resources (time, marketing) elsewhere is not effective.

The credit card partnering scheme appears overwrought and it's effectiveness is highly dependent on the credit worthiness of those potential new customers.

VW simply needs to make sure the majority of customers impacted by this mess are treated fairly and don't hold a grudge on the VW group. The VW group has well received cars but just needs to stop dragging this out.

A 25K VW Golf that cannot be repaired satisfactorily does not cost VW 25K to replace. If the bottom line cost is 15K for a new Golf, VW should replace it, apologize, and get a signed agreement for no future legal action. Removing that person from a class action suit, extended warranties, and retrofit costs is not a small sum.

A side benefit is increased plant production which keeps staff working.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Someone always yells at me if I leave them out, but off the top of my head:

• 413 Auto (mentioned above) in Westfield
  • Schnell Snail in Wareham
  • Kraftwerke in Braintree
  • KMH Motors in Lowell
  • Bob Mann Auto (Dr Volks) in Pembroke
Apologies in advance if I've forgotten someone.

MacBuckeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Was planning on using the $500 for myself or the family. Looks like I'll have to use both the VISA card and the VW card to fix my friggin Jetta. I have a bad feeling my TDI just took a bite of the HPFP pie. :(

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Someone always yells at me if I leave them out, but off the top of my head:

• 413 Auto (mentioned above) in Westfield
  • Schnell Snail in Wareham
  • Kraftwerke in Braintree
  • KMH Motors in Lowell
  • Bob Mann Auto (Dr Volks) in Pembroke
Apologies in advance if I've forgotten someone.

Thank you

CinciKen

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
Although I've been registered here for a year, I've never posted. What I would like to ask about is the goodwill offer of the $500 gift card/$500 card to be used at a dealer. I have not done anything to claim that yet and I am hesitant to do so because I do not want to forfeit any future claim(s) that I might be entitled to. Is that a stipulation of accepting the offer?

I apologize for the question and realize that it was probably already addressed in this thread but because the thread is so ungainly, wading through it is difficult. Even using the search function is a bit difficult.

Thanks in advance.

D15SEL

TDI
'15 Golf TDI SEL 6M, '13 Beetle 'vert 6M
jerryn63, don't get me wrong.....I love these TDI's, as we have 5 in our immediate family....am wondering why the purchase of a diesel if you have a '14 with just 7k? I know this thread is about the goodwill cards but that caught my eye.
We have a '13 purchased in '14 with 42k, and my '15 is not one year old with 31k. Regarding the debit cards we will most likely use them for tires "if" the dealer prices are anywhere near reasonable on cost. (the Hankook tires on my wifes Beetle Convet. TDI are the worst tires we have EVER owned)

Kawazar

TDI
2014 Jetta
Although I've been registered here for a year, I've never posted. What I would like to ask about is the goodwill offer of the $500 gift card/$500 card to be used at a dealer. I have not done anything to claim that yet and I am hesitant to do so because I do not want to forfeit any future claim(s) that I might be entitled to. Is that a stipulation of accepting the offer?
I apologize for the question and realize that it was probably already addressed in this thread but because the thread is so ungainly, wading through it is difficult. Even using the search function is a bit difficult.
Thanks in advance.

If you go to the goodwill website VW set up the frequently asked questions covers this stuff. Of course you'll get varing opinions here so you need to go through the info on the website and decide for yourself. I applied to receive the package on the day it came available and still haven't received anything yet.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Thanks in advance.
I read the VW "fine print" on the cards— which only has to do with the limitations on the cards themselves. I have also read several opinions concerning acceptance of these "goodwill" cards. I then went ahead and applied for the cards the day they came out. I cannot see any way that the mere acceptance of the cards themselves precludes any future claims against VW, and has no effect whatever on the fixe(s) for the emissions problem.

CraziFuzzy

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW (GoneBack) - replaced with '15 Azera and '16 Fiat 500e.
Was planning on using the $500 for myself or the family. Looks like I'll have to use both the VISA card and the VW card to fix my friggin Jetta. I have a bad feeling my TDI just took a bite of the HPFP pie. :(
That shouldn't cost you anything but perhaps a tow.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I just read that VW has taken out a 20 BILLION loan to bridge through their crisis.
Also sales down 25% in November in the US due to short supply?
Of customers for the cars they can sell?
It is amazing the self inflicted wounds and the damages caused by the "few rogue engineers".
Perhaps the price of hubris is pretty high here.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
That shouldn't cost you anything but perhaps a tow.
I thought about that too, until I seen his mods to it. If he can bring it back to stock, and make it look as if it's always been stock, he might get it covered....IF it's less the 120K miles. I think that's the warranty expiration on the HPFP. A Malone 2 will definitely void the fuel pump. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.

ray96disco

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
I am kind of in a pickle too... My fiancee was driving and go tangled up on an accident... insurance is reviewing now to see if it is a total loss ($10K estimate from Body shop but they listed that as %63 of value?!?! I don't see a 2010 JSW with 125K on the clock being worth $15 today, maybe to a private buyer in August but not today)... I think i will be out the good will package because i obviously cant drive the car to the dealer to claim the cards :(.
Do they need to physically touch or see the car or, do they need proof of ownership?

I finally got around to reading the rules. No. 3.1 states we must present the affected vehicle. Bummer, billmn.

Last edited:

billmn

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW stock:Totaled 2000 black Golf gls 315K : retired
Do they need to physically touch or see the car or, do they need proof of ownership?
According to everything I have seen on any official websites, documentation etc, yes you need to bring your car and proof of ownership IE Title to the dealer to activate the cards.

here is the official info from vwdieselinfo.com how the program works pdf.

https://www.vwdieselinfo.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Customer_Goodwill_Package_Overview_1.pdf

Once you’ve received the Goodwill Package,
please visit a participating dealership with
• Your Goodwill Package
The affected vehicle
• Driver’s License
• Proof of ownership (any of the following):
• Vehicle registration
• Title
• Lease Agreement
Note: Vehicle registrant must be present.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
I thought about that too, until I seen his mods to it. If he can bring it back to stock, and make it look as if it's always been stock, he might get it covered....IF it's less the 120K miles. I think that's the warranty expiration on the HPFP. A Malone 2 will definitely void the fuel pump. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this.
A Malone tune alone doesn't touch the pump. VW would have to prove that the tune killed the pump. Since the pump itself doesn't really have any way to mod it (besides taking it apart and putting in a new more aggressive cam) I'd say there's a good chance if he's under 120k miles he should be good.

Magnuson Moss Warranty Act
The act states that a dealer must prove that aftermarket equipment caused the need for repairs before it can deny warranty coverage.