VW TDI goodwill package: Offers $500 Visa cards & $500 dealer credits to TDI owners

undertaker

TDI
2010 tdi cup edition
I honestly just want a buyback at august 2015 value, or a private sale at august 2015 value...

no desire to be punative I just want out, I don't care if its outright with vw or some other way with cash on top, I just want to part ways and put my tdi behind me at a fair number.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I doubt it would be binding or contingent on agreeing to a fix.
Didn't think about it that way.
There should be 2 gift cards, one for $500 can be used anywhere, the second will range from $500 to $750 and must be used in connection with service. Would be great if that second one could be used for ANY VW service.
A second card, which will be valued at between $500 and $750 can be used exclusively at Volkswagen dealerships.
It didn't say the second card was only for service, at least not in the article.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
I honestly just want a buyback at august 2015 value, or a private sale at august 2015 value...
no desire to be punative I just want out, I don't care if its outright with vw or some other way with cash on top, I just want to part ways and put my tdi behind me at a fair number.
Unrealistic to expect that unless you can figure out how to go back in time. Believe me, a lot of people are thinking "could'a, would'a, should'a" right now. I believe VW will come out with something that will address diminished value, but time and mileage will still be considered to calculate market value.

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta

Exactly my sentiments

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
Lmao what a damn joke. Glad my TDI is gone. Props to those who still love theirs. But after my DPF cracked at 27k miles, I'm glad I am out of that junk. VW has a lot of work to do and I can safely say I'll never recommend a VW/audi to anybody ever again no matter how good the MPG is. The money you save in fuel just goes towards the completely asinine maintenance costs/schedule.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It didn't say the second card was only for service, at least not in the article.
That's what I'm hoping. I'd use it to buy tires or timing belt parts. They don't touch my car.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My interpretation of the article may be wrong. That's what I think VW would want possibly to encourage their customers to use the dealerships, who have been struggling with sales since the scandal.

It seems logical since there will be separate cards issued, no idea how it will be done. I could think of a lot of ways to spend that at the dealer, which of course is paying premium for service.

I don't like my local VW dealer so I travel to a farther VW dealer where I bought my car since their dealership seems to have better service. Except for the complimentary car wash and the prettier salesgirls.

GWbiker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI 4dr.
I'll take the $500 gift card and use it to pay for.......................more D2 fuel...;)

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Yup, same here. If VW is planning to buy TDI's from dealers, who've had them 30 days, I've got a TDI that I have had since Summer. Why not me, too? How about an offer between pre-diesel gate wholesale book, and retail?

The only reason I had the car going into late September, was to get the dash lights clear, so I could sell it. I have the early September receipts, to prove that. It now sits, occasionally getting a 2 amp, 12V, trickle charges.

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Being made "whole" mean different things to different people, but one thing is for sure; a complete buyback as if you never purchased the vehicle in the first place is NOT going to happen. Will you receive something? Yes, and I believe the $1,000 is a good start, if I don't have to sign my rights away to get it. :rolleyes: VW might as well poke themselves in the eye AGAIN if they think anyone will do that.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Too bad it's not a straight $1k, which would just about cover the cost of a Malone Stage2 and DSG tune. Oh well....

dropnosky

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta 6 speed, 2012 Passat DSG
1K might be a nice chunk of an ALH powered spare TDI to go with my higher mileage one

As for the 2012 passat, we bought it to drive it and put lots of miles on it. After all the hand wringing hysteria is over we will still be driving it and putting lots of miles on it. Realistically id use any money towards maintenance.

All the people demanding a full reimbursement might as well put that out of your minds. No car company will do that and certainly not VW. Getting angry over something you know wont happen is pointless and a huge waste of time.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf DSG w/tech package
Not worth it if they will do recall work on my car. If that's avoidable I'm putting a new set of tires on with the money.
It says proof of ownership is needed to receive the cards. Hopefully that's all that's needed to get them.

Rudyjo

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen Tdi
If the second $500 - $750 could be used at VW toward a good extended warrantee that covers all mechanical and electrical systems for another 5 years beyond the regular warrantee, I would consider putting the whole $1,000 - $1,250 on it. The peace of mind would be worth it to me.

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
$1000 is a very small drop in the bucket compared to the fine they face if you don't get you car updated, $37,000 per car!!!!!!!

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
$1000 is a very small drop in the bucket compared to the fine they face if you don't get you car updated, $37,000 per car!!!!!!!
That was a maximum fine the EPA came up with but it has no bearing on whether or not the owner gets the "fix" done by the dealer.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
A positive announcement comes up and the bashing continues. Does anybody realize that your TDI can get 50mpgs ?
Being that all VW bashers and clowns delight in various forms of entertaining posts, ask yourself what purpose has your rant accomplished ?
Use the money wisely, get 4 new quality tires or a new Bilstein suspension, or a tune-up, DSG flush, fuel filter change, oil changes or diesel fuel money. Stop complaining and man up, you silly group of clowns.
Have a little fun with the money, and stop squeezing the dollar, you're not a Leaf, Prius, or econobox driver are you ?
Jump into that VW and blast away with those 236 lbs of torque. Imagine yourself being serviced and look at all the people at the dealers because they usually smile back. Real people in those shops, I BS with the mechanics, salesgirls or parking attendants.
Think back when your job was at risk ? How did that make you feel ?

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Start window shopping now. If the "cards" are anything like many other prepaid cards, they decrease in value over time when fees are deducted. I'd be ready to spend right away. :) But what could I want from a VW dealer?

jayb79

Top Post Dawg
From Reuters
"Volkswagen can face civil penalties of $37,500 for each vehicle not in compliance with federal clean air rules. There are 482,000 four-cylinder VW and Audi diesel cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations. If each car involved is found to be in noncompliance, the penalty could be $18 billion, an EPA official confirmed on the teleconference."

hfnut

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
It's gonna cost me....the postage necessary to send the card(s) back to VW!!!!! If you think this won't have strings attached you're crazy! Bottom line...VW defrauded us...they have been defrauding us since 2009. Let's never overlook the obvious facts...and as far as I'm concerned VW should pay full original purchase price for these cars. Period. If this sort of thing happened anywhere else in life, people would be screaming for a full refund and would get it. It shouldn't matter that you drove the car one mile or one million miles, you were defrauded at the time you origonally purchased it.

undertaker

TDI
2010 tdi cup edition
I'm not looking for original buyback from when I bought it 5 years ago, I'm just looking for what it was worth before dieselgate.

and no I don't want a prius, leaf or some other ungodly ghey econocrap. I'm no longer commuting 100 miles round trip more like 10, so I'm back to my lifted, blown 2500 suburban at 12 mpg not caring about mpg. The VW served a purpose, that was to keep miles off my truck and it paid for itself in gas savings the past 5 years, its now outlived its purpose.

Unlike most here I bought an inexpensive economy car as a beater. Everyone else seems to hold their TDI on a pedestal and I never did, its been a daily beater. Now I want to buy the wife a new escalade and I'm getting offered 4300 for something I was offered 13k 4 months ago. Yes I'm a little annoyed that through no fault of my own this thing is worth roughly a third of what it was before the announcement.

Am I looking to get rich off of this no, I just want out of the car at what it was worth immediately before dieselgate

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
"Volkswagen can face civil penalties of $37,500 for each vehicle not in compliance with federal clean air rules. There are 482,000 four-cylinder VW and Audi diesel cars sold since 2008 involved in the allegations. If each car involved is found to be in noncompliance, the penalty could be $18 billion, an EPA official confirmed on the teleconference."
Exactly, this came out on day one of the scandal, and the allegations turned out to be true. All of the 482,000 vehicles sold had the cheat code and are non compliant with the clean air act rules. This does not mean that VW will be fined if they do not update each car. They face a fine for breaking the rules.

hfnut

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
I'm not looking for original buyback from when I bought it 5 years ago, I'm just looking for what it was worth before dieselgate.
Well, VW didn't just defraud you....you we're defrauded five years ago when you first bought the car. VW has admitted as much and should refund you the original purchase price of the car. What you have done with the car (number of miles driven) since you purchased it is immaterial.

TDIpilot4u

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Hmm interesting how a thread about plans for spending goodwill money has just turned into yet another repetitive branch of the apocalypse megathread. :rolleyes:

Pending the devil in the details...I think it is perfect timing for my timing belt maintenance and some new tires, battery and maybe brakes. We shall see, but hey whatever helps.

Last edited:

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
I need to get the 40k service done on my Touareg, so I know how one of the cards will be spent.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I need to get the 40k service done on my Touareg, so I know how one of the cards will be spent.
Finally some good sense.
Or a DSG flush, fuel filter change, 4 new tires or new brakes or Bilsteins, 1/2 a DPF job if applicable.
This is not another thread for venting anger. Give us all a break.
If you got a problem call VW's Customer Care Region Case Manager Team in conjunction with your purchase at the dealer you bought your car. Use the dealer to help you, I have heard the dealers have funds set aside for the really tough cases.
No idea if they could help, but it's worth a shot.
VW is in a really tough spot.
Just be glad you are not VW, your car is a small percentage of savings relative to your lifetime of car purchasing and spending.
I am giving VW one last chance to get the fix right. What they did was wrong obviously.
A buyback may be an option for them IF they cannot make the cars emission compliant. It is a tough mess for them.
Does that mean we should not keep our VWs maintained. The only way is for a miracle or higher power to bail out VW and let them grandfather the cars.
Have them pay a huge fine and move forward with environment projects to make the greenies happy.
Fixing the cars requires time, imagine working in Wolfsburg right now and the hours of lost sleep for the engineers. They are burning the midnight oil and we are just venting with typed text messages.

Perry01

Veteran Member
TDI
Finally some good sense.
Or a DSG flush, fuel filter change, 4 new tires or new brakes or Bilsteins, 1/2 a DPF job if applicable.
This is not another thread for venting anger. Give us all a break.
If you got a problem call VW's Customer Care Region Case Manager Team in conjunction with your purchase at the dealer you bought your car. Use the dealer to help you, I have heard the dealers have funds set aside for the really tough cases.
No idea if they could help, but it's worth a shot.
VW is in a really tough spot.
Just be glad you are not VW, your car is a small percentage of savings relative to your lifetime of car purchasing and spending.
I am giving VW one last chance to get the fix right. What they did was wrong obviously.
A buyback may be an option for them IF they cannot make the cars emission compliant. It is a tough mess for them.
Does that mean we should not keep our VWs maintained. The only way is for a miracle or higher power to bail out VW and let them grandfather the cars.
Have them pay a huge fine and move forward with environment projects to make the greenies happy.
Fixing the cars requires time, imagine working in Wolfsburg right now and the hours of lost sleep for the engineers. They are burning the midnight oil and we are just venting with typed text messages.
I agree. I bought my Golf TDI two years old with 20k miles on it. I didn't buy it because it was a "clean diesel" but because it gets great fuel economy and has lots of torque. I'm not mad at VW, they didn't lie to me but I can understand that others may be.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
Is the linked website a reputable source? Any links to other resources of information that back the claim?

Seems sleazy and we would like be at the butt end of that deal.