VW switching to 0W oils?

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
My old W123 turbo-Diesel Benz used 15w-40 Diesel oil exclusively. I finally got tired of looking at it's face every morning and sold it with 360000 miles on it. She was still getting 30mpg in mixed driving and used no measurable oil between 5000 mile changes. I private-sold it and used the proceeds to buy a 2014 JSW with 86000 miles.

I wish I had the Benz back.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Ahhhh...the 123TDT. Get an '85 vintage; they had 3.23 final drives( vs 3.54 for the older wagons). What I'd really like is a 300CD Turbodiesel with the wagon's legs and a manual. Sacrilicious. I don't recall turning them up was all that easy tho...
cheers,
Douglas

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Ahhhh...the 123TDT. Get an '85 vintage; they had 3.23 final drives( vs 3.54 for the older wagons). What I'd really like is a 300CD Turbodiesel with the wagon's legs and a manual. Sacrilicious. I don't recall turning them up was all that easy tho...
cheers,
Douglas
A few months back there was an early 90s Mercedes 300 diesel wagon with awd and manual for sale near me. I couldn't help but think of how much of a unicorn it must be at least in this part of the world. The ad stated it didn't run well so I wasn't too interested.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Nah DF, that is a modern beast...the 123 and 126's are about the end of what is a Real Benz, IMO. Now for a real unicorn, a 123 300TDT with a 5sp would be sweet...or at least grab the 5sp stuff from Over There. There were some interesting grey-market gassers, but only gasser-interesting...LOL
cheers,
Douglas