VW Still Believes In Diesels; Unveils New 2.0 TDI Mild Hybrid

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
You need to get to the gym and do some right leg presses.

The amount of work done feathering along a car doing a 2 legged 3 pedal dance is way more than pushing/lifting from a powered brake pedal.
Funny, that seems like what you need. My quads are quite powerful thank you.

I am certain the best transmission is a manual for most applications. The car companies have made it a common belief, and enormous expense, especially since 0-60 time, which is better with automatics, is an almost meaningless statistic especially when comparing the two on the same car otherwise.

Cheers.

TM

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Subaru Forester Diesel, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
yet it becomes ever more difficult to comply with emissions regs with a randomer's right and left feet in control.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yet it becomes ever more difficult to comply with emissions regs with a randomer's right and left feet in control.
Yes. The EU and EPA fuel economy cycles are different and manufacturers can set it up for each market to get maximum fuel economy.

For example, our Lexus C200h had the same drivetrain and a smaller body/chassis yet the Prius got 4-5 mpg better. The C200h was a design for Europe which Lexus decided later to import to NA. We got the same fuel economy, easily over 50 mpg, with it.

TM

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Funny, that seems like what you need. My quads are quite powerful thank you.

I am certain the best transmission is a manual for most applications. The car companies have made it a common belief, and enormous expense, especially since 0-60 time, which is better with automatics, is an almost meaningless statistic especially when comparing the two on the same car otherwise.

Cheers.

TM

TM,

I am not trying to make a case for autos. I prefer Manuals myself and driven properly, they do perform better, although the autos are getting very good. I just fail to see how all that clutching is easier than simply resting your foot on the brake, lifting it now and then to inch forward.

If you are referring to traffic that is very heavy, but moving continually, I see your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TM,

I am not trying to make a case for autos. I prefer Manuals myself and driven properly, they do perform better, although the autos are getting very good. I just fail to see how all that clutching is easier than simply resting your foot on the brake, lifting it now and then to inch forward.

If you are referring to traffic that is very heavy, but moving continually, I see your point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes. The new automatics, especially BMW/ZF 8 speed types, are pretty good - but that is not my preference either. I can see how one would get annoyed with multiple shifts, but my experience is this helps in other ways. I wouldn't buy a manual Suburban either although light and heavy trucks with manuals are still a thing. Autos are expensive to fix and maintain, and their cost is built in to new car pricing.

TM