VW Settlement in the US

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon TDI Highline
Didn't see this posted anywhere...

https://www.yahoo.com/news/vw-resists-move-trial-instead-epa-settlement-101425133--finance.html

BERLIN (Reuters) - Volkswagen has reached a deal with U.S. authorities to settle the case over its cheating of diesel emissions tests that would involve it paying each affected customer $5,000, Germany's Die Welt newspaper reported on Wednesday.

Citing unidentified sources close to the negotiations, Die Welt said the agreement would be presented on Thursday to Judge Charles Breyer in San Francisco, avoiding a trial.
Original referenced article in case anyone is interested ;) :D

http://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/artic...unden-sollen-5000-Dollar-von-VW-erhalten.html

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$5K covers the loss in residual value, barely, but will do nothing to compensate for the loss of power or fuel economy after the "fix"

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
$5K covers the loss in residual value, barely, but will do nothing to compensate for the loss of power or fuel economy after the "fix"

Sorry I'm not following...what loss of power or fuel economy? I'm sure these cars will still out-perform 99% of the other vehicles out on the market in regards to fuel economy.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
Until there is an official release of what is actually going to happen, I'm not beleiving anything the media reports. They will post whatever it takes to get a reaction out of the readers, irresponsible trash journalism.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Sorry I'm not following...what loss of power or fuel economy? I'm sure these cars will still out-perform 99% of the other vehicles out on the market in regards to fuel economy.
I think that what they mean is the before and after. the cars will not be the same.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
We have no idea what VW has planned for these cars. For all anyone knows, they might be given emissions exemptions and never touched.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
We have no idea what VW has planned for these cars. For all anyone knows, they might be given emissions exemptions and never touched.
until we know firmly what is planned, we do what we always do...leap to conclusions and jump to assumptions. rumour and conjecture are us. :D

Max-4

TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
This is crazy, I wonder what the "buy back" offer will entail? I own a 2011 golf wagon tdi high line with 100,000kms. Wonder how much VW would offer to buy back this car from me for?

mrrhtuner

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2015 Touareg TDI
I wonder if the vehicles they buy back, if VW will re-sell to other countries with lower standards?

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I wonder if the vehicles they buy back, if VW will re-sell to other countries with lower standards?
I would think they would apply the fix to them, and then sell as "certified pre-owned" since we are given a choice to apply the fix or take the trade-in. If there ends up being no fix as many have suggested, then you're probably correct, they will end up being shipped somewhere and resold.

Silver02TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If they buy back, I imagine at whatever the residual value was at the time the scandal broke. They'd probably put the onus on owners to prove how much their car was worth, or their mileage at the time. I figure my car was worth $18-$20 K at best at the time, and is now worth $12 K?

But then if they offered to buy it back, say even at $20 K, would I take it? I'd want to see what the "fix" did to my car first. Bottom line, in terms of fuel efficiency and cargo space, I have not yet found an alternative

Max-4

TDI
2011 VW Golf Wagon TDI
Yeah, I'm in the same boat as you it was prolly worth about 20k at the time and maybe now 12-13k. What is the deal about the $5000 incentive? If you take this $5000 you have to get "the fix" done to your car? Do we even know what the fix is? I'd take the $5000 if they don't touch my car and these cars get emission exemptions. If they are going to put a ridiculous def system or a major overhaul to my vehicle to fix this well then they can buy my car back...

Last edited:

BryanK

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
VW wants to buy back my 2015 Golf, purchased appporx one month prior to the dieselgate swindle?? S-O-L-D!!!!! The price better be right. Had it with diesel and possibly VW. May consider a TSI, maybe even automatic.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Q5 diesel, there's your Tiguan, lol.
but for a lot more Money. Drove it in Germany for 3 weeks as a Rental.... It's ok, nothing to talk to your Brother about:confused::mad:

Hwy_Demon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDi
Whatever they do, they wont have a fix that wont get them in trouble. Best bet for them would be to buy them back and ship them to countries with less restrictions to minimize their loss.

I recall speaking to a Service rep at Yorkdale VW who shook his head and stated with such confidence and said " the fix will make the car better and better performance and more fuel economy" I laughed at him and said " there is no fix that they can do that will make the car better at all or else they would not have lied and rigged the computer."

Im in the same boat as Savageman69.

Good Luck Vw.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
im likely not entitled to anything anyway....selling my mk6 post scandal and then buying this now i am not the original owner