VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
@740GLE - since when is Subie building Diesels? Or if you go gas why not a TSI? I understand the TDI preference, but you could stay in the VW family?
Jason
Subaru makes diesels overseas and made a vague commitment to bring one to the states around 2004, but never followed through. I wouldn't hold my breath.
If my choice of AWD vehicles came down to a Subaru or a TSI Alltrack, I'd go with the Subaru. Every Subaru has a larger fuel tank than the Golf, except the BRZ which has the same 50L capacity. The Impreza and the Forester both have available manual transmissions. Finally Subaru's AWD system is generally considered to be a better system than the Haldex.
I know that Subarus have head gasket issues, and turbo Surbarus have turbo issues. I've personally witnessed and helped repair a few of them, but these seem to be some of the few issues they suffer. The TSI engine has its share of issues from carbon build-up to PCV valves and timing chain tensioners. Few people are going to take you seriously if you tell them your TSI is going to be more reliable than a Subaru, even if Subaru reliability is not all it's reputed to be.

LMJ

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf
I haven't read this entire thread, so maybe this is a repeat. Just received the following Intel, if you can call it that.

Dear Mr. Johnson,

I truly apologize for the late response.

Thank you for your inquiry about the Golf Sportwagen with 4 motion. Even though the Golf Sportwagen made its official debut in April 2015, many of our Customers like yourself want to know when will the 4 motion all-wheel drive system be offered for the Golf Sportwagen? At this time, there are no plans to add the 4 motion as an option for this vehicle.

I am happy to announce that the Volkswagen Golf Sportwagen Alltrack will make its debut for the 2017 model year. This vehicle will off 4 motion all-wheel drive. No official launch date has been set, but you can continue to check for updates on our media website at media.vw.com.

If you have any other questions, you can contact me at volktalk@vw.com or you can contact our Customer Care Center at 800-822-8987.

Brent H.
VolkTalk.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
So I finally got around to getting comparison pics. I don't understand why they install a beam axle on TDI instead of IRS.
Here is a TSI with IRS;

And here is a TDI with beam axle;

Hmm...

Jason

Sent from my iPhone

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I think the reason why is because of the ad blue tank.

LuvDaDiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI - 355,000miles - rip
solid beam - cheaper. Sportwagen has IRS. I was really disappointed when they cheapened the Jetta to better meet the desires of the American buyer. If you are inclined to purchase a VW you are not doing it because you want it to perform and feel like an American made car. REALLY!?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI -both of those are Sportwagens. They install a modified MkIV style beam in the TDI Sportwagens. It is NOT like the beam in the Jetta sedan.

And see that black plastic cover on the right sight? On the TSI it is the charcoal canister and EVAP crap. On the TDI it is a large open space. And BTW, guess where the AdBlue tank is on a Jetta sedan and Passat?? Right where that black plastic cover sits in the above pictures. So why not use the existing free space (same as was done on other models) instead of redesigning the rear suspension? Urgh!!!!!

4motion or not this kind of stupid (along with the price) has put me off buying one!

Jason

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
There are reports circulating about that the IRS gets in the way of packaging the urea tank for the TDI's SCR system. IMO, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP. Whole new vehicle platform programs are not drawn on the back of a napkin 6 weeks before launch and considerable planning and coordination goes into the engineering amongst all the VW Group members anticipating to use a given platform (for the MQB, this is basically EVERYONE in the group save for Lamborghini and Bentley).

To say, in effect, that "We didn't plan to incorporate the urea tank with the IRS for the MQB platform" (also employed in the group's crossover models) would an unimaginable product engineering oversight on the part of VWAG or a terribly lame insult on the public's intelligence.

It is COST COST COST. Period.

diesel4ever

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2000, black
My 2015 Jetta has IRS and AdBlue tank. Somehow they found the way. The Golf, OTOH is a bit shorter and there 'may' be a lack of space.
I'll second TDIMeister on this one, though.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Cost may be a factor, but your Jetta has the Adblue fill in the trunk, not behind the fuel filler door. This may have both space and tank position implications.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
My 2015 Jetta has IRS and AdBlue tank. Somehow they found the way. The Golf, OTOH is a bit shorter and there 'may' be a lack of space.
I'll second TDIMeister on this one, though.
On the Golf and NB didn't they cut the fuel cell size to 13.7 to give room for AdBlue tank???? While they found room for both and still keep the 14.5 in the current Jetta TDI-CR with AdBlue......

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
13.2 actually. Big disappoint. MKVI Jetta is a different platform, but you'd have thought they'd find room for more fuel. Range is one of the big reasons I like diesels.

skinnyb

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI
Thats disappointing about the beam suspension and adblue. Hopefully by the time I am ready to upgrade my 13 JSW they will have redesigned and have adblue, IRS, and a 14.5 gallon tank (or bigger)... That is one of the biggest reasons I really like my Passat :)

TxTDINerd

TDI
2011 Jetta SportWagen TDI
I still want one...

Even if it has some quirks, I still want the Alltrak version. For the driving I do and the range of environments we deal with when we travel to visit family throughout the year, the all wheel drive feature will be helpful.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
There are reports circulating about that the IRS gets in the way of packaging the urea tank for the TDI's SCR system. IMO, WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP. Whole new vehicle platform programs are not drawn on the back of a napkin 6 weeks before launch and considerable planning and coordination goes into the engineering amongst all the VW Group members anticipating to use a given platform (for the MQB, this is basically EVERYONE in the group save for Lamborghini and Bentley).

To say, in effect, that "We didn't plan to incorporate the urea tank with the IRS for the MQB platform" (also employed in the group's crossover models) would an unimaginable product engineering oversight on the part of VWAG or a terribly lame insult on the public's intelligence.

It is COST COST COST. Period.
I'll buy that argument in a regular Golf as I have seen them and space is tight. But the wagon I'll agree it is marketing/cost.

Same BS line why the Tiguan didn't get TDI was no where to locate the AdBlue tank. :mad:

What really is funny is the AdBlue tank is wrapped up over the axle anyway. And I did notice the fuel tank is different shape (size?) between the TSI and TDI. Pay attention in front of the muffler. So even cost is a question because they designed multiple fuel tanks.

Still think they could have made the Diesel "Outback" their niche in NAR and made an impact in Subie sales.

Jason

kamkam

TDI
2012 vw golf wagon tdi highline
Okay, can someone explain why Mercedes (Canada) can sell both the midsize AWD SUV (ML350) bluetec (meaning diesel), and now the smaller-sized 4 cylinder GLK AWD diesel SUV (which competes with VW tiguan) and seem to have no issues with getting emissions/adblue tanks in conjunction with all that, but VW can't figure out how to get AWD, diesel, Adblue tank, and multi-link rear suspension on a sportwagen?

The next VW tiguan they redesign had better offer a TDI version or Mercedes will have the upper hand with their small suv GLK....

also, the letter from VW rep on this thread seems like a bit of a contradiction.... first saying there is no golf sportwagen coming with an option for AWD, then saying the Alltrack sportwagen is coming as a 2017 (in late 2016) with AWD?? Huh?

If the alltrack comes to Canada as gas only engine, it will compete with all the other AWD gas engine vehicles (small suv's/cuv's are numerous) so I don't believe it will do as well as if it came with a diesel option .... that would be a marketing factor to differentiate it from the competition ...

now, if the newly designed tiguan comes to Canada with a diesel option?, well, I would look at that as well as the sportwagen

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
Okay, can someone explain why Mercedes (Canada) can sell both the midsize AWD SUV (ML350) bluetec (meaning diesel), and now the smaller-sized 4 cylinder GLK AWD diesel SUV (which competes with VW tiguan) and seem to have no issues with getting emissions/adblue tanks in conjunction with all that, but VW can't figure out how to get AWD, diesel, Adblue tank, and multi-link rear suspension on a sportwagen?

Price point. Profit margin. How many $40-$45K Sportwagens are going to sell?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Let's compare numbers (US dollars):
VW SLE gasser with auto and all packages: $32000
VW TDI with dsg and all packages: $34000
Subie V6 top of the line with equal packages: $37000

Looking at a Honda CR-V, AWD adds $1200. Add in a couple of grand for the IRS and we are at about the same price as the 22 mpg (Consumer Reports) subie. Just like the Canyon diesel I'm waiting for, if VW offers an AWD TDI, they need to keep the SLE base price under $40,000. They can then add on the $1100 for DSG and $1700 for the lighting and driver assist packages. So, yes, I finally agree that a fully dressed AWD TDI GSW (fell like I'm at work now) will top out around $43,000

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Just read an article Jamie wrote over on VWVortex about the Golf AllTrack TDI he drove. HEH???:confused: They figured out how to get IRS, diff and axles, and AdBlue in there (I'm making the assumption they drove an Euro 6 emissions car).

I think its back to bean counters and marketing. GRRRR:mad::mad:

Jason

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
By focusing on the middle of their target market, VW is missing their best opportunities. Making products that blend in with other less expensive or more reliable options, begs the question- why buy a VW? Case in point being the Passat. Could it be more bland? However, the Passat should be an excellent platform on which to build an array of more interesting products with the 2L diesel- wagon, Alltrack, and Tiguan replacements.

Last edited:

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
One man's bland is another man's not so bleepin' trendy that doesn't age as well. Just sayin'.

kamkam

TDI
2012 vw golf wagon tdi highline
I maintain that if VW Canada decides to sell the Alltrack sportwagen (or sportwagon in Canada) with a diesel engine, it would have no direct competitors in the marketplace, but if it chooses to only offer the Alltrack gas version, it will have many direct and indirect competitors. I hope at some point they are willing to offer both engine options in the Alltrack.

And btw, how about offering a heated steering wheel? Nice option for cold winters....

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
Just read an article Jamie wrote over on VWVortex about the Golf AllTrack TDI he drove. HEH???:confused: They figured out how to get IRS, diff and axles, and AdBlue in there (I'm making the assumption they drove an Euro 6 emissions car).

I think its back to bean counters and marketing. GRRRR:mad::mad:

Jason
VW always knew how to do it! They were using that as an excuse to brush off N.A. consumers by making it a technical problem instead of business decision.

Last edited:

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
Last weekend at Watkins Glen during the Sahlen's Six Hours I talked to a couple of TDI owners. One worked for VWofA. He said the Golf Sport Wagon TDI AWD was a "go" for 2016. Then he eluded to a seven passenger SUV that was "in the works". The one guy was pulling a tandem axle camper with a Toureg TDI(V6). Asked how it pulls the camper. "NO problemo!" he replied.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Last weekend at Watkins Glen during the Sahlen's Six Hours I talked to a couple of TDI owners. One worked for VWofA. He said the Golf Sport Wagon TDI AWD was a "go" for 2016. Then he eluded to a seven passenger SUV that was "in the works". The one guy was pulling a tandem axle camper with a Toureg TDI(V6). Asked how it pulls the camper. "NO problemo!" he replied.
Man I hope so. My wife really wants to get back into a VW because she loves them so much, but the Subaru Outback she drives is so handy for us. We like to have at least one vehicle with AWD and decent ground clearance. If VW brings the Golf Sportwagen Alltrack to the US with a TDI and 6-speed...the Outback will be traded in promptly!!

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
I understand that AWD can help you get started if your car is stuck in snow, mud or sand. But isn't it true that it doesn't help you turn or stop faster once you are going?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I meet someone in April pulling a travel trailer on I81 in Va with his diesel Toureg. Said it drops mileage a little but other than that he didn't feel that anything was even back there. IIRC, he said he was running mid to upper 20s with the trailer.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
I wouldn't be surprised if the AWD Sport Wagon TDI is ONLY offered with a DSG. Though many prefer to "stir the stick" as with lots of other car manufacturers dual clutch systems are making serious inroads. Computers cannot "talk" to a manual transmission. Even racecraft are getting away from them. "Zero shift time" seems to be the latest evolution. Here's another. http://www.xtrac.com/

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Regardless of what you heard, there won't be an AWD Diesel. No room for the Adblue and AWD system. Not gonna happen.