VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Question-- are these guys, given they are not going to do a TDI in the 4Motion sportwagen-- going to still do the TDI in the Cross Blue? and what's the status on the cross blue-- I thought it was to be out around now-- anyone know?
The production version of the CrossBlue has been confirmed to be built in the Tennessee plant as a 2017 model, likely available mid-late 2016. Engine selection has not been confirmed. My personal hope is a TDI, but based on how well the Jetta Hybrid works I would not be adverse to that either. I believe a reasonable guess is one gas, one hybrid and one diesel, like the Jetta and Touareg both have. If anything, I'd guess the availability to be in that order. I hope I'm wrong, and a TDI is available immediately. My dealer already knows I'll be the first to order one.

kamkam

TDI
2012 vw golf wagon tdi highline
I am thinking about trading in my 2012 golf wagon highline TDI on a 2017 Alltrack golf wagon which according to the latest report I have read will go on sale in Canada around September 2016.... so still a long wait away...

I like the looks of it (as seen in the latest 2015 NY auto show), including the wheel wells and body mouldings, interior trimmings, as well as the AWD feature (and the fact that it is part-time when needed, which makes the vehicle more fuel efficient) and the higher (an inch) ground clearance.

I was looking at Subaru Outback for a bit but like the fact that I can get a diesel in the VW. Can I really justify the price of the diesel engine.... probably not... since my 2012 only has 53000km and I bought it in Fall 2011... but people also buy diesels for reasons beyond fuel savings...

I like the fact that I don't have to fill up at the pumps as much... I enjoy the torque both in the city and on the highway where I find my car passes with ease... and the higher resale value and longer engine life (should I keep them longer) is a plus as well...

I love the wagon with the relatively large cargo area and so does my lab who owns all the flat area behind the front seats (my rear seats have never seen the light of day)... I would probably be looking at getting another highline version...

I have never purchased winter tires as I hate the hassle of switching out every Spring/Fall... now, the winter performance of my original tires with front wheel drive is not impressive but I have gotten by mainly due to not going out in conditions that I know are dangerous and driving cautiously and defensively when I do...

I do think that the AWD, even part-time, will add some degree of better performance to the vehicle even if I don't buy winter tires (which I won't)... and the higher ground clearance and larger wheel wells will help in keeping ice/snow build up and then thawing and falling to the ground which has literally frozen my car to the driveway at times...

I am hoping VW will consider offering an optional heated steering wheel which are so nice for winter driving... and what about offering a wagon where the sides of the rear area are not carpeted or carpeted with something that doesn't accumulate dog hair or is easily cleaned ...

also, it would be handy when carrying really long items for the front seat to fold down.... one more thing, I am hoping that they will offer the option to go with tires larger than 17 inch (like I have now)... 18's or 19's would be a nice touch...

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I am thinking about trading in my 2012 golf wagon highline TDI on a 2017 Alltrack golf wagon which according to the latest report I have read will go on sale in Canada around September 2016.... so still a long wait away...

<snip>
Cool story, but I think it is unlikely that we'll see the AllTrack wagon with a diesel engine under the hood in North America.

Or if we do, it'll be in the same price range and things like the Mercedes GLK250, BMW 328d Xdrive Wagon, etc...which are available right now.

blujett2.0

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Chev Silverado 6.6L Duramax
Cool story, but I think it is unlikely that we'll see the AllTrack wagon with a diesel engine under the hood in North America.

Or if we do, it'll be in the same price range and things like the Mercedes GLK250, BMW 328d Xdrive Wagon, etc...which are available right now.
Didn't they already say NO to a golf wagon TDI AWD due to the emissions equipment? I would presume the answer wouldn't change for the AllTrack...I have no faith in VW...

Kalevi1Poeg

TDI
2015 Golf SE Manual TDI Mk7 Silk Blue, 20th Anniversary GTI Jazz Blue
VW USA must have the worst marketing departments ever. For example their non-strategy for bringing over AWD VW Golf or Jetta Wagons has been that either US people don't want small cars just SUVs (introduction of Toureag) or that it will eat into their Audi quattro sales. Result Subaru sales skyrocket over the last 10 years because of AWD small cars - good job VW.
Now the only discriminator or distinctive value of a TDI AWD small car is also being dismissed - lets build the CrossBlue (Squashed Explorer crossbred with a Flex) - VW fail again.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
VW USA must have the worst marketing departments ever. For example their non-strategy for bringing over AWD VW Golf or Jetta Wagons has been that either US people don't want small cars just SUVs (introduction of Toureag) or that it will eat into their Audi quattro sales. Result Subaru sales skyrocket over the last 10 years because of AWD small cars - good job VW.
Now the only discriminator or distinctive value of a TDI AWD small car is also being dismissed - lets build the CrossBlue (Squashed Explorer crossbred with a Flex) - VW fail again.
My sentiments exactly. I have occasionally had the idea of working my way up in the ranks of VWoA to see if anything could be done about it, but it would probably do no good. The change has to come from Germany, as far as I know.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Personally, I like the looks of the CrossBlue. Have to see how the production version makes out after the bean counters finish with it. Give me the hybrid power train with the 2.0 TDI engine and I'd be a happy camper.

That said, VWoA is really missing out what is really desired in the country, and that's basically the same cars (and trucks) they sell elsewhere. I realize that some of the older designs likely wouldn't pass safety, but the newer models are probably either close or passible as is.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Where did the Tercel wagon and Corolla wagon and Camry wagon go? *poof* when Toyota realized they could make more money by pushing people to SUVs.

Where did the Civic wagon and Accord wagon go? *poof* when Honda realized they could make more money by pushing people to SUVs.

Those guys even played around with some AWD variants, but saw a better market in SUVs.

In the eyes of most automakers, an AWD wagon/hatch would cannibalize their own sales. Why would VW give us an AWD Golf when the Tiguan is an AWD Golf, with a little lift? (yeah, we have the Golf R, but that's a different halo vehicle thing)

Most of the auto industry has gone this way. Subaru is an exception. Volvo is an exception.

VW marketing hasn't taken the brand in a direction that you personally like. But VW knows this, because there are few of you, and they know that their efforts are best spent elsewhere.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Run flats are bad news. You get a puncture and then proceed to limp the car to a tire shop.

That punctured run flat just gave up its life so you could drive on it while flat. There goes $200 bucks.

While the same puncture in a normal tire would mean putting on the spare and getting the punctured tire patched. $200 saved since most tire shops would repair for free.

Run flats do not make sense unless you are wealthy and don't mind pissing money away.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree that VWs success is in North America tied to offering more and cheaper models. It's hard to get a young or first time buyer into the dealer when the lowest priced model you offer is the Jetta sedan.

Less expensive, not necessarily cheaper.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
Run flats are bad news. You get a puncture and then proceed to limp the car to a tire shop.

That punctured run flat just gave up its life so you could drive on it while flat. There goes $200 bucks.

While the same puncture in a normal tire would mean putting on the spare and getting the punctured tire patched. $200 saved since most tire shops would repair for free.

Run flats do not make sense unless you are wealthy and don't mind pissing money away.
Everyone has their own perspective and experience. I've had three flats in the last 1,500,000 miles, making the cost relatively inconsequential. A bigger issue with run-flats is their weight, which creates a poor ride. My solution in the one vehicle that I had that was equipped with them was to sell the run-flats and replace with standard tires (and a set of winter tires to match).

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Ehh we have a 2015 TDI Golf and would have loved if the GSW was AWD but it isn't a big deal. The all-track VW is not a consideration for me. Personally I think it is ugle, I would rather have a Subaru Outback. The 2015 outbacks are great cars and if I needed something like the all-track I would go Subaru for the immense cost savings! Our Golf drives great and we love the TDI but any bigger or more expensive it would be silly to buy a VW in my opinion unless brand loyalty is overpowering your common sense.

atifvw

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI, 2015 Golf Wagon TDI. 2008 Grand Cherokee Diesel
Ehh we have a 2015 TDI Golf and would have loved if the GSW was AWD but it isn't a big deal. The all-track VW is not a consideration for me. Personally I think it is ugle, I would rather have a Subaru Outback. The 2015 outbacks are great cars and if I needed something like the all-track I would go Subaru for the immense cost savings! Our Golf drives great and we love the TDI but any bigger or more expensive it would be silly to buy a VW in my opinion unless brand loyalty is overpowering your common sense.
Subaru in Canada is more expensive than VWs, cheap plastic interiors no fuel efficiency no TORQUE not worth the $$ in my humble opinion and not the greatest looking cars long term rusting issues etc etc. Again beauty is the eye of the beholder but I wouldn't touch a subaru good thing I'm not a big AWD guy....

And yes no Alltrack TDI in the horizon for now. Even if miracolously they offer it's going to be automatic no manual.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Subaru in Canada is more expensive than VWs, cheap plastic interiors no fuel efficiency no TORQUE not worth the $$ in my humble opinion and not the greatest looking cars long term rusting issues etc etc. Again beauty is the eye of the beholder but I wouldn't touch a subaru good thing I'm not a big AWD guy....

And yes no Alltrack TDI in the horizon for now. Even if miracolously they offer it's going to be automatic no manual.
Subarus used to have torque, but the ramped up fuel emmissions control/efficiency coupled with the need to produce as much peak horse power possible forced the engineers to orient the power band up high. You have to race the engine to make any power, and the fuel economy absolutely plummets. The boxer is no longer a useful torquey engine.

We had a nice, nice new Legacy Wagon (2003). Made in Indiana... They had not screwed up the engine yet, and it still made lots of torque low down and early, got 28-29mpg all around, and upwards of 33-34 on the highway. Say goodbye to that type of engine. Gone.

And diesels in America? Aside from Golf, Jetta and JSW (Golf Wagon in Canada), don't expect anything else AT ALL ever from VW. All rumors and whispers. If Amarok or Tiguan were to ever show up, in TDI, they may not be available with a manual transmission anyway. The days of a simple diesel with manual transmission are LONG gone except on Craiglist or ebay. Big trucks are a different category. Sure, you can buy a massively over built turbo diesel work truck (good for work or hauling horses, but stupid for commuting), but even Canyon is going to be oversized and only four door probably, if it ever shows up in Diesel.

The Golf AWD may show up in North America, but forget about the diesel alternative. I'd fall over in amazement if anything develops in AWD, SUV, CUV, 4WD in diesel from VW. Just fall over dumbstruck.

If I did not have two kids in school, I'd be able to afford to build/convert something. Even that is not happening!

Last edited:

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,

Have you driven the 2014/15 outback? Or any Subaru for that matter? They now have soft touch materials, FAR better head unit(on legacy and outback) and get decent MPG. I can buy a fully loaded(4cyl) outback for 32k here and that is basically what we paid for our tiny TDI Golf. Not saying we don't love the driving dynamics or tq of the Diesel Golf, but how much more do you think a comparable car to the outback (size and capability) would cost from VW? The Subarus are also so much cheaper to work on and rust was an issue back in early 2000's. They have a lifetime rust warranty now..

Just saying outside of VW's smaller offerings it is pointless to stay VW in my opinion. The 4motion SEL tiguan, which is basically a lifted golf gets 26mpg, takes premium fuel and will run 36500. You'd have to be an idiot to buy that over the competition out there.

If Subaru is that much more expensive in Canada then I can understand where you are coming from. For Subaru and VW owners I feel like overall cost of ownership is pretty important.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
even Canyon is going to be oversized and only four door probably, if it ever shows up in Diesel.
You maybe correct. Current speculation on the Colorado/Canyon website is diesel will only be available in the crew cab. I also think it will only be offered in top trim at least through the 2016 model year. Without any add-ons, I am assuming a top selling price for the 4x4 of just under $40K US.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Other than a dislike for the Chevrolet company, I am excited for that midsize diesel! Think of all of the capability you would get out of that truck! I am excited even if I will probably not get one. I want more competition in that segment!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a canyon as my third vehicle that does duty on the weekends for yard work and play time. If the mileage is good enough, we are considering giving one of the kids my JSW, getting rid of the current truck, and getting a new diesel one. It will all come down to EPA mileage and of course price. Oh, I guess then I will also need to put a trailer hitch on her Golf.

kamkam

TDI

If there is no option for the diesel, then I'm not buying the Alltrack version... love my diesel...

kamkam

TDI
Where is the famous German engineering? Surely they can figure out how to engineer an Alltrack AWD TDI, with appropriate emissions for U.S/Canadian markets , and a multi-link rear suspension all in one vehicle? Am I asking too much?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Where is the famous German engineering? Surely they can figure out how to engineer an Alltrack AWD TDI, with appropriate emissions for U.S/Canadian markets , and a multi-link rear suspension all in one vehicle? Am I asking too much?
It has nothing to do with engineering.

It has everything to do with Marketing.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'm not so sure that it isn't also something to do with engineering. After all, the DEF tank placement is so critical to the overall function that it can only go where pieces of the independent rear suspension is supposed to go.

Knowing the German engineers, they probably wanted to rebuild the whole car instead of finding a better place for the tank.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We got a TSI and a TDI sportwagens in and I had pictures of both on a hoist at one point. There is no reason why they cannot make an AWD TDI wagon. The DEF tank could go in the hole vacated by the EVAP canister and associated hardware. Heck, the Passat and Jetta already have their DEF tanks in that same location.

I think it comes down to marketing and trying to sell a TDI (more $$) with AWD (more $$) to a customer without them going to Audi/BMW wagons or even a SUV from BMW/Audi/Merc.

BTW the rear axle is set up like a MkIV Golf/Jetta/Beetle instead of the beam in the MkVI Jetta.

Jason

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
We got a TSI and a TDI sportwagens in and I had pictures of both on a hoist at one point. There is no reason why they cannot make an AWD TDI wagon. The DEF tank could go in the hole vacated by the EVAP canister and associated hardware. Heck, the Passat and Jetta already have their DEF tanks in that same location.

I think it comes down to marketing and trying to sell a TDI (more $$) with AWD (more $$) to a customer without them going to Audi/BMW wagons or even a SUV from BMW/Audi/Merc.

BTW the rear axle is set up like a MkIV Golf/Jetta/Beetle instead of the beam in the MkVI Jetta.

Jason
Well the Marketing brain child's prob just pushed us to a Subaru Outback when the wife decides she wants me to get rid of the Jetta. 32k can buy a whole lot of Subaru even if I'll miss the torques and mpg.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I have a friend who makes a good living out putting head gaskets in what we would consider lower mile Subis. He has a three-six month waiting list of cars @ ~$3k a pop in line needing new head gaskets.....Subi owners seem to look at this pretty guaranteed to be needed at some point repair, usually @ 80-120k as no biggie, which will always be a puzzle to me.....The sooner you catch the problem the less the repair costs, my buddy tells me subi owners seem to understand this better than other car brand owners....

To respond to your question, It is still happening, he has a 2013 car in the bay right now! Driving these things up and down the CO mountains pushing them to the breaking point might have something to do with the failures which are still happening.,...But isn't that what they are designed to be able to do with that all wheel drive system.........

Great car but for some reason they just can't figure out the head gasket failure problem in these things. Make sure you put some money aside for the head gasket replacement if you decide to go the subi route........

Last edited:

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I have a friend who makes a good living out putting head gaskets in what we would consider lower mile Subis. He has a three-six month waiting list of cars @ ~$3k a pop in line needing new head gaskets.....Subi owners seem to look at this pretty guaranteed to be needed at some point repair, usually @ 80-120k as no biggie, which will always be a puzzle to me..

Great car but for some reason they just can't figure out the head gasket failure problem in these things. Make sure you put some money aside for the head gasket replacement if you decide to go the subi route........
From what I read, the turbo models didn't have the HG issues, due to more webbing/reinforcement in the block. It is my understanding that the problem in non turbo models has been corrected since 2010.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have a friend who makes a good living out putting head gaskets in what we would consider lower mile Subis.
They had this issue as far back as 82, when we bought our subie. The guru we ended up going to told us that is was due to different alloys used in the block than in the head. They recommended that all service work be performed or at least finished on a dead cold engine. That way the mechanic could properly torque the head bolts. So any service meant leaving the car overnight. Not sure how much was truth or was smoke, but at 100K miles, I had no head or oil leakage issues.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Back when I worked at a Subie dealer we were putting sealant in as part of a recall. A big problem was location of the temp sender - an air pocket (vapor bubble?) would form around the sensor and prevent it from reading the true engine temp. Result is the temp gauge says everything is normal when in fact the engine was overheating. Customer continues driving until head gasket pops because they don't know there is a problem.

@740GLE - since when is Subie building Diesels? Or if you go gas why not a TSI? I understand the TDI preference, but you could stay in the VW family?

Jason