VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
The TDI revs a thousand rpm's lower (quieter, more relaxed driving), and will get better than advertised mpg. Almost never having to wait for a pump is also nice! ;)

Being ables to use B05 initially, and B20 there after is also a plus for some.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
I'd be interested in a AWD Sportwagen with 6 spd manual and TDI. The car I really want would be a Golf TDI/GTD hatch with AWD and 6spd manual.

I drive about 40K km a year, 30K km of that is just me, my lunch and laptop (Work commute). 5K km is probably one kid and equipment to hockey or ringette, 5K km is family of 4.

My wife has a 2011 q7 tdi that we use for weekend trips to the cottage with dog etc. Her work has changed, so she no longer has a long commute to work. Her commute now is about 15km, the last 3 of them through a small town.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
(fingers pressing on temple) my prediction is you'll get a 1.8t (read 'gasser') 7sp dsg 4motion golf wagon that'll achieve low 30's combined mpg's . man, I've never hoped to be less kreskin!
alas I think the vw corporate collective minds see this set-up as the best money-maker for the masses in America so that's probably what we'll get in Canada too. don't get me wrong, it'll be a lovely car that many folks will admire at the gas bar and it'll get slightly better fuel economy than the pricier Volvo, Audi, Merc,& BMWs and homelier Subaru offerings. tdi would really make it stand out from the crowd though(sigh)...

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
Having gone through 15 pages on this topic of an AWD TDI I have to throw my $.02 in. Everyone seems to want a Golf sized wagon. Why? IMO the primary purpose of a wagon is ROOM. You want "room"? Well here it is. http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-debuts-new-passat-alltrack-wagon-naturally-we-want-one/

As for the Haldex AWD system by Borg Warner if it behaves as well as the DSG 6 speed then I'm all over it. Here's a pretty cool vid of it's operation. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tbs9TeS6Qxo

If this package comes out for USA next year I think I'll be doing an "upgrade". Engines will be offered up to a 237hp 2.0LTDI. This will make it a "hauler". But as with everything price will be a deciding factor.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
We looked at the Passat wagen in 2007. Really liked the fit, feel, and finish but since the gasser required premium and no diesel available, we went with the CR-V. It was large enough for our needs. My JSW has about the same room behind the rear seats, except for height and it gets almost twice the mileage. Would I want that bigger Passat all-track? I'd be just as happy keeping my JSW for another 70k miles.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Having gone through 15 pages on this topic of an AWD TDI I have to throw my $.02 in. Everyone seems to want a Golf sized wagon. Why? IMO the primary purpose of a wagon is ROOM. You want "room"?

]If this package comes out for USA next year I think I'll be doing an "upgrade". Engines will be offered up to a 237hp 2.0LTDI. This will make it a "hauler". But as with everything price will be a deciding factor.
Yup. That is exactly my concern. While I absolutely LOVE our MkIV variant, it is a two plus two at best, and not even that with a pair of modern child seats installed (especially turned around). Our eldest has a 09 Passat Variant, and its size is 100% perfect. It's lack of diesel and AWD is not.

Now, I should thank you for posting a link to one of the most revealing articles on the new platform Allcross/Alltrack/allwhatever, but in fact what that does is just pees me right off that VWC (and VWOA) continues to stick us with non-current, bottom-of-the-barrel, 3rd world suitable model choices.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Having gone through 15 pages on this topic of an AWD TDI I have to throw my $.02 in. Everyone seems to want a Golf sized wagon. Why? IMO the primary purpose of a wagon is ROOM. You want "room"? Well here it is. http://blog.caranddriver.com/vw-debuts-new-passat-alltrack-wagon-naturally-we-want-one/

As for the Haldex AWD system by Borg Warner if it behaves as well as the DSG 6 speed then I'm all over it. Here's a pretty cool vid of it's operation. http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Tbs9TeS6Qxo

If this package comes out for USA next year I think I'll be doing an "upgrade". Engines will be offered up to a 237hp 2.0LTDI. This will make it a "hauler". But as with everything price will be a deciding factor.
I wouldn't count on us in the USA getting a more powerful version of the new engine. From what I have read we are stuck with the 150hp/236lb-ft engine is all the offerings that get 4 cyl diesel power. That is plenty of power in this application by the way.....

alhutch

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Arrrggg...

AutoWeek is saying that the TDI Sportwagen gets the same torsion beam rear axle as the TDI Golf:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-rev...op&utm_content=body&utm_campaign=awdailydrive

Relevant text:

The wagon gets the hatchback’s familiar strut suspension in front. Like the hatch, gasoline-powered SportWagens have a fully independent multi-link arrangement in the rear. Diesels get a torsion-beam rear axle, and that’s odd too. Perhaps VW thinks diesel buyers are less likely to notice that it saved a few bucks with a solid rear axle. As it is, the SportWagen TDI’s base price drops $2,000 compared to 2014. All wagons now come with aluminum wheels, ranging from 15 to 18 inches in diameter.
This probably also means no AWD for the TDI wagon. I'm so sad if it's true. :(

Last edited:

skramer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE 6MT
(fingers pressing on temple) my prediction is you'll get a 1.8t (read 'gasser') 7sp dsg 4motion golf wagon that'll achieve low 30's combined mpg's . man, I've never hoped to be less kreskin!
alas I think the vw corporate collective minds see this set-up as the best money-maker for the masses in America so that's probably what we'll get in Canada too. don't get me wrong, it'll be a lovely car that many folks will admire at the gas bar and it'll get slightly better fuel economy than the pricier Volvo, Audi, Merc,& BMWs and homelier Subaru offerings. tdi would really make it stand out from the crowd though(sigh)...
After reading the first reviews over the weekend on the sportwagen, my thoughts are similar to this. The GSW I expected to have IRS being the car had more room, but they kept the IRS on the 1.8t, while the TDI gets the torsen...I just don't see VW releasing the awd TDI in the states now :(

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
It all comes down to having space for the Urea tank. That's why the TDIs have been getting the torsion bar suspension. The independent suspension takes up the room a tank needs.

One would hope they could redesign some room for the tank in there somewhere.

Coal Roller

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI Premium DSG Reflex Silver
My mechanic and I had the conversation regarding the prospect of an AWD TDI. When I told him that VWA was going to use the Borg-Warner Haldex system his eyes did this :eek:. "Right now there is a nationwide backorder on repair parts for oil leakage with these." he said. He also wasn't to keen on that computer control board being back there on top of the rear diff. :rolleyes: So tell me Mr. Owl, why couldn't VW have used the Quattro AWD in it's "sister" vehicles?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, I've not heard of any issues with Haldex and oil leaking. Maybe I missed it. But Quattro and 4-Motion are product names, not technologies. Most Quattro Audis are in longitudinally mounted engines. Haldex is used in transversely mounted engines, both in VW and Audi applications. The TT and A3 are called Quattro by Audi and Syncro or 4-Motion by VW. But it's the same stuff.

May-39

Veteran Member
TDI
alh wagon
Really? Why

In a universe that could bring an amorak, why an AWD wagon?
I routinely take my car through the snowbelt of northern Michigan and Upper Peninsula.
My family still lives in the snowbelt..My mom has been driving 30+ miles each way to her job including on call for 20 years..All in FWD cars with quality snow tires..Why would I want to give up the mpg and have added possible problems? Save for the rare all out blizzard then it's only for ground clearance that a truck would be needed...
A good pair of snow tires or studded snows under a fwd tdi particularly with a locker is PLENTY.
I would much rather drive that than my 4wd truck with a locker and high quality all terrains,,and typically do.

If people want it good for them..I'm not knocking it but this being an opinion thread at this point. One man's opinion.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
I have one simple question.

What is the difference between a golf/jetta wagon errrrr wagen?

I am no VW expert by any stretch, but, I always thought the difference between a golf and jetta was one was a hatchback, the other a sedan/wagon.

Is it just a marketing gimmick? Does VW think that by calling it a Golf and keeping the price low, it may get more looks?

Will there still be a JSW? If so, what is the difference? Is the JSW stretched a few inches or does it just have more/nicer stuff inside?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Everywhere but the US most of VW's small wagons have been Golfs. They sold the Jetta wagon here starting in '01 because the Jetta sedan was very popular here. It's not in the rest of the world.

Now the Jetta sedan and the Sportwagen are on different platforms. The Wagen is on the Golf Platform, the Jetta Sedan is on an older platform. So it makes sense to make the new Wagen a Golf, since it shares more with that model than the Jetta Sedan.

It doesn't really matter. I de-badged my Jetta Wagon about 10 years ago. Most people ask me if it's a Passat.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Crossovers?

I've read a few VW announcements in Car and Driver about VW making crossovers for 2016, the TDI Tiguan idea, only more of a crossover with AWD. I tried to post links on the news thread but they mysteriously don't appear. Anybody hear anything about it?

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
No tdi, no crossover in my driveway.

office5280

TDI
2011 Jetta
Yeah, without the TDI, there won't be an upgrade happening for my family. I'd love the AWD but without that engine it's just not worth it.

dieselbill

TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6 speed sedan Titanium Beige and 06 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed Wheat Beige
no TDI no deal

AWD Golf Sportwagen will sell well but without a TDI I will not buy one. The disappointments from VW continue.