VW says AWD SportWagen coming in 2016

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Car & Driver says the same thing. But my local dealer owner went to a product launch meeting a few months ago and no one would confirm a TDI in the AWD Sportwagen. And since we haven't been able to put the MKVII platform, IRS, and Adblue in the same vehicle in NA it seems unlikely they'll suddenly figure out how to do it now.

There are always stories like this, sometimes attributed to VW of America. But keep in mind that VWoA doesn't have the last say in what cars are sold here, and it's worth their while to promote models, even if the likelihood of them coming here is slim or none.

I'll believe it when I see one on a VW lot.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
I'm surprised VW would unleash a Golf wagon with AWD. It looks much sportier than TDI sport wagons but the trade off in fuel economy would be the big question, 20mpgs vs 40mpgs.
Unless there's a strong demand at that market segment. If I wanted AWD I wouldn't get a wagon, I'd get a crossover or SUV. Cross Blue looks better suited to most with larger families but is going against tough competition.
I like the look of a sportier more aggressive Golf wagon which appears to be aimed at trying to get some of Subarus customers, but that's a pretty loyal customer base. Or maybe it's attempting to create a new VW fan base.
Fuel economy in the 20-25 mpg range with those AWD wagons doesn't make sense to me if crossovers yield similar fuel economy. I'll continue to drive after the plows and SUVs tire tracks and drive slowly dreading those 5 to 10 storms yearly. Lately in Northeast we've been badly beaten.
Where I live we get usually 2 or 3 bad storms when it's actually useful when it snows more than one foot, so out of the 600 or so yearly drives, dreading about 10 drives a year still not worth getting AWD. Unless you live in a state where it's worse. Most of the storms in my area are less than a foot and people get panic attacks and are clueless. I'll continue to be cautious and drive on those tire tracks really slowly. I am surrounded by SUVs and crossovers on a daily basis. The drivers behind those vehicles like the self perceived feeling of invincibility.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Storms aren't the only reason to have AWD.

When you have lots of torque, you can't use it if you don't have traction.

For example, when it's raining and you need to get in front of a 280HP mini-van before it gets in front of you and proceeds to drive at three mph below the speed limit for the next fifty miles. With AWD you just punch it and never see them again because they just sit there spinning their front wheels while they floor it in a desperate attempt to get in front, cut you off, and slow down. That's what they do, and AWD is the solution.

That's why I want it, combined with a Diesel engine.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My TDI with DSG is not great in bad weather that's for sure and I could understand the extra traction factor but when you gotta drive 20k miles per year fuel economy will suffer.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I understand that AWD can help you get started if your car is stuck in snow, mud or sand. But isn't it true that it doesn't help you turn or stop faster once you are going?
True, in those conditions AWD doesn't help with turning or braking. But AWD does help with wet roads, in my opinion. When I had my Tiguan, I rarely if ever felt any controlability issues at highway speeds. Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but hear me out. In my previous Jetta and current Passat, there are times the car just doesn't feel as well "planted". Maybe it's just my perception that I want it to be better, so it is, but I had a higher level or confidence driving in the rain with AWD. And this summer not withstanding, it does rain in Seattle! :p

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
True, in those conditions AWD doesn't help with turning or braking. But AWD does help with wet roads, in my opinion. When I had my Tiguan, I rarely if ever felt any controlability issues at highway speeds. Sounds like I'm contradicting myself, but hear me out. In my previous Jetta and current Passat, there are times the car just doesn't feel as well "planted". Maybe it's just my perception that I want it to be better, so it is, but I had a higher level or confidence driving in the rain with AWD. And this summer not withstanding, it does rain in Seattle! :p
You know that claws don't come out from the tires and grip the roads, don't you?

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
I work at a ski resort, and the access road can get very dicey. We often get stopped on steep inclines and getting moving again can be a challenge. I put dedicated snow tires and wheel on my Golf for the winter, and they work fantastic 95%of the time. But, there are those storms when I just know I will need to take the Outback because it just climbs the hill that much better.

Last edited:

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
You know that claws don't come out from the tires and grip the roads, don't you?
Bosch Automotive Handbook, 8th Edition
Bentley Publishers

p682
All-wheel drive and transfer case
"All-wheel drive (AWD) improves traction on cars, off road vehicles, and commercial vehicles on wet and slippery road surfaces and rough terrain."

arne487

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Golf TDI, '10 TDI Cup Jetta
Not really the thread to be discussing it, but AWD definitely helps handling when at the traction limit and under power.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
And YOUR source of "information" is? Read the 5th paragraph. The TDI engine with be its "base engine".
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2014/11/20/vw-sportwagen-golf-all-wheel-drive/19301567/
VWofA has made no official announcement on the Alltrack powertrain so this article is speculative, wishful thinking, the result of poor journalism, or mistaken. The press release is the only official word.

http://media.vw.com/release/953/

Conversations with VW staff are not official unless otherwise stated. While not official, VW/Audi isn't mating IRS with TDIs on the MQB platform...yet.

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Sure they do. I remember the Uniroyal commercial for Tiger Paw tires that clearly showed the claws :p

Or am I dating myself? :eek:

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
One positive of the AWD wagon, is that VW can ditch the Tiguan. IMHO.
Ditching the Tiguan in favor of the Alltrack isn't even a remote possibility. Wagons belong to a shrinking market segment while compact CUVs are growing in market share.

I know you were just speaking for yourself but historically the Tiguan's low annual sales figures have outpaced the Sportwagen. VW is betting big on the next Tiguan. I don't see the Sportwagen placing too much pressure on the Tiguan in the future.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Ditching the Tiguan in favor of the Alltrack isn't even a remote possibility. Wagons belong to a shrinking market segment while compact CUVs are growing in market share.

I know you were just speaking for yourself but historically the Tiguan's low annual sales figures have outpaced the Sportwagen. VW is betting big on the next Tiguan. I don't see the Sportwagen placing too much pressure on the Tiguan in the future.
I agree the Tiggy and the GSW all wheel drive are not in the same market place. I would much rather have a Tiguan TDI than an awd wagon.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT

I don't know, and I don't have numbers to back me up, but where I live the area is crawling with Sportwagens...and I hardly ever see a Tiguan. I feel like I see Sportwagens all through the northeast in my travels. I'd sure take one over a Tiguan any day...but that's me.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a Tiguan, and I'll be back in one the minute the TDI arrives. Loved the car, didn't care for 22 MPG. I tested a Audi Q5 TDI, and the mileage was impressive, even with the V6 TDI. Can't wait to see what VW will be offering in the next couple of years.

At 60 years old, I like the higher seating position, which also makes it easier to get in and out. My son-in-law had a Jetta Sportwagen and it wasn't any higher than the sedan. I realize the AllTrack will sit higher, but I don't think it would be all that much more.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't know, and I don't have numbers to back me up, but where I live the area is crawling with Sportwagens...and I hardly ever see a Tiguan. I feel like I see Sportwagens all through the northeast in my travels. I'd sure take one over a Tiguan any day...but that's me.
It helps having actual numbers rather than going by observation. In June, the Golf Sportwagen sold 1,873 units to the Tiguan's 2,604. The Jetta Sportwagen brings another 136 units to the Sportwagen sales totals. The Golf is new while the Tiguan has been around pretty much in the same body since MY 2009 and is down in sales from its peak years. The Golf is experiencing a sale increase due to the new model. The new Sportwagen should be capable out of outselling the aged Tiguan. You can pick the sales period you wish over the past 7 model years and generally, Tiguans post higher numbers.

Keep in mind, the Sportwagen has to compete with not just the Tiguan but other CUVs, wagons, and hatchbacks. Niether the Tiguan nor the Sportwagen are hurting the Outback (June - 10,912 units) or CX-5 (June - 9,373 units). The numbers tell the complete story.

Last edited:

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
CUVs are a huge money maker for the various dealers and VW is trying to tap into that market share. Corporate makes the decisions based on trends, price of gas and various factors. Consumers have so much selection these days. I don't ever remember so many car companies as there are now.

VW's Golf is one of their flagship brands. Population trends seem to indicate more people getting married and having kids. The Sportwagen I feel is dominated by Subaru, like those figures show, it's a big gamble on VWs part, I don't know and as usual consumers will vote with their wallets.

A Golf Sportwagen vs Subaru Outback, a diesel is an obvious advantage with MPGs if it is mechanically possible, great idea. But again, Americans who spend the most like size, the Q5 is the perfect size vehicle, if we could all afford it, that's beauty.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
My parents have a 2012 Outback, and it can pull their 2000# A-liner popup trailer, yet still gets 30mpg average during the summer without the trailer. And the current refresh is even nicer inside and out than their 2012. Stiff competition for an AWD Sportwagen.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I had a Tiguan, and I'll be back in one the minute the TDI arrives. Loved the car, didn't care for 22 MPG. I tested a Audi Q5 TDI, and the mileage was impressive, even with the V6 TDI. Can't wait to see what VW will be offering in the next couple of years.

At 60 years old, I like the higher seating position, which also makes it easier to get in and out. My son-in-law had a Jetta Sportwagen and it wasn't any higher than the sedan. I realize the AllTrack will sit higher, but I don't think it would be all that much more.
Same reason that I will be looking at the tiggy tdi or the canyon diesel.

It helps having actual numbers rather than going by observation. In June, the Golf Sportwagen sold 1,873 units to the Tiguan's 2,604. The Jetta Sportwagen brings another 136 units to the Sportwagen sales totals. The Golf is new while the Tiguan has been around pretty much in the same body since MY 2009 and is down in sales from its peak years. The Golf is experiencing a sale increase due to the new model. The new Sportwagen should be capable out of outselling the aged Tiguan. You can pick the sales period you wish over the past 7 model years and generally, Tiguans post higher numbers.

Keep in mind, the Sportwagen has to compete with not just the Tiguan but other CUVs, wagons, and hatchbacks. Niether the Tiguan nor the Sportwagen are hurting the Outback (June - 10,912 units) or CX-5 (June - 9,373 units). The numbers tell the complete story.
One thing that may be squeing those numbers is that VW hasn't produced any 2015 GSWs until the last month. All those JSW sales were 2014 models.

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Sales Figures for VW

I just looked at sales data for cars and suvs
VW's Jetta placed 17th in the cars list, selling over 43000 year to date, 50302 for 2014, a lot of tough competition
No VW on the SUV list
Subaru Outback and Forester had good numbers, tough time for VW as Americans do not perceive VW as a CUV/SUV contender
Golf Sportwagen is going to try and counter that perception. VW needs a contender in that segment, looking at the list reveals potential sales figures VW is missing out on, millions of CUVs and SUVs sold annually, those are big numbers
Americans love for the CUV and SUV cannot be ignored. It really took off in the 80s, boomed in the 90s but slowed with gas prices at Y2K's, but have picked up again.
Amazing numbers and I'm not a numbers guy but I was nearly floored when I did a google search and looked at the data, time to listen to some music again, my oh my, a lot of sheep out there

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
In addition to updating infotainment for 2016 models the automotive press is also reporting that adaptive cruise control and additional updated safety features are being added to the normal model year change trim level rejiggering. Sorry I don't see an official VW press release on it.
http://www.automobilemag.com/featur...add-new-infotainment-systems-safety-features/

Sadly, appears still no option to get a cloth interior.

Last edited:

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I guess I missed how this has much to do with the arrival of the alltrack other than possible model year implication whoo-hah, blah, blah. if smart phone platform implementation is something to look forward to, then no thanks, unless I can use an iphone for traction under my tire in January. you would be correct if you surmised that I'm a bit pi$$'d that the alltrack won't arrive in tdi form so nobody can remotely hijack control through any number of smartphone hacks of the sensible vehicle I'd like to own but can't...

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
I too don't care much re infotainment but many in the market do. I posted up because the addition of adaptive cruise and added/improved safety features does interest me much more and I assume the AWD wagen will see them. Again some write it all off as nanny stuff and feel it serves to further disconnect the driver from the tasks of actually driving the car, others see the value for aging or distracted drivers.

Personally, I am not setting foot in a VW dealer until I can get one with a nice cloth interior in the USA. May mean never purchasing a new VW ever again. May seem odd to many. If I have to resort to having a custom cloth interior installed then it won't be in a TDI, have a BIL who recently purchased a 328d xdrive wagon and is in the process now.

So the market values all sorts of things, I thought the safety software upgrades were worth a mention since the infotainment upgrades were mentioned/posted up. Sorry if it is all too OT.

Last edited:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
I dont listen to the car radio or music in the car during the week. All I need is BT for the phone.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
my rant wasn't directed at you nytdi, rather the thought that no tdi alltrack means no alltrack for myself & many others no matter what gadgetry is packed inside. perhaps the performance will be there but economy & longevity will not. (this as my wife's 2010 awd tiguan w/65,000kms on it sits parked just out of warranty with at least $2000 in repairs for a broken valve spring after being well maintained!)

lrtdi, I don't listen to music much either and the radio sparingly for news. no Bluetooth, just earbuds.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Aww WHAT THE HECK??!! Just had a 2015 TDI Beetle come in with AdBlue cap next to the filler neck...AND IRS!!!!! If they can squeeze IRS and AdBlue into a Beetle (yes, I know PQ35) they why the heck not in Golf Wagen?

/rant

Jason