VW rust Warranty is dust in the wind

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I recently had a nickel sized rust bubble near the left rear wheel lip- no chips or scratches. It was approved within a week and beautifully repaired a week later.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
I am not the original owner of the car. I bought it with 165,000 mi. on it.

I had no idea I had to disassemble the car and clean out the gunk behind the wheel wells. Never did this on other cars I owned. Is this something that is specific to Beetles?

Shouldnt make a difference in their corrosion warranty coverage. It doesnt say 12 year coverage unless you dont clean the crud out of the wheel well.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
To be honest, I don't know if it is a problem on Beetle's like it is for Jettas and Golfs.
And like you say, perforation is perforation regardless of cause.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I dunno if they will approve of the repair or not. I will keep you guys updated.

squeegee_boy

Veteran Member
I've had mixed results on the rust warranty. On my third attempt with the front fender foam issue, they offered to pay 50%, which I agreed to after being worn down.
They repaired the rust on the rear hatch; it reappeared and they fixed it again. It has shown up a third time, and I'm now seeking a replacement (anybody have a line on a salt free one?) since I'm tired of the hassle.
Small bubbles on the A-pillar on the driver's door resulted in complete replacement of the door. No questions, no hassle (aside from a horrendous paint and reassembly job).
From my experience, these days they take photos and send it in for approval. In years past the service writer would simply look at the rust, say no, and tell you that there was no recourse.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
I just found this thread a month after Mamma whacked a dumpster dead centre against sharp edge. No fender distress, but I had our captive VW ENTHUSIAST body guy put new hood with emblem notch filled to match badgeless grille and repair horrible rust perforation on inside rim of the hatch where it notches around tail lights. I had completely forgotten about the rust perforation warranty, and it definitely would apply to her hatch. We don't live in big rust country, and this spot has been sliding downhill for a few years. No damage ever to that area.

While I would never refuse a part from VW, I am not so sure I would let any dealer near much of anything. Twice when the car was much younger, I let them do warranty jobs and regretted the results ever after. One was headliner when brand new, not perfect repair, but it was brand new so I relented. The second was when they volunteered to the the window regulator recall under goodwill. I was out of town, so let my wife take it to them. A year later - I was taking the door apart because the pax side window fell down. The damage and childish workmanship under that door cover was really disappointing. The heck of it is, I should have known better. Not so sure I was ready to take pot luck with the rear hatch.

What they have done for me under other warranty items is just give me the parts to replace myself. If they would do that with the hatch, I would have been delighted. Oh well, just posting so someone else might be inspired to look at their rear lid before it is too late.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, just got a phone call from the servie manager from the Lafayette, Indiana dealership. He said that he forwarded my pics to the regional svc mgr and he said that the perforation has to be completely through!!!

What the heck! Rust is rust in my opinion, and if you look at my pics above, that is a darned good sized rust bubble.

I am gonna drive the heck out of this thing this winter in the salty Indiana roads and hopefully speed up the process.

Service Mgr did say I had till July of 2014 before my warranty was up. So hopefully the rust does its job by then!

BlankThis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
I've got a few rusty spots on my car. What the heck I'll try my luck and see what my local dealer has to say about them.

Wayne64SS

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Huh i don't get why it's so hit or miss. A couple months back I brought my 03 Golf tdi in for the fender issue. Not only did they replace both fenders, they also replaced the hood and hatch with new OEM vw parts and fixed the rockers and pass door. I couldn't believe it considering the hood was obv stone chip damage, i expected to pay for everything except fenders. +rep to nemer vw in Latham NY.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Vw repaired the roof on my '05 2.0 beetle a few months ago, it was rusting about 2" from the front corner on the passenger side for about 2-3" right next to the seam. Leith vw - raleigh looked at it and verified the paint was original, then 2 weeks later it was approved, after a week at foster's body shop, my beetle looks as good as new, the paint is a perfect match.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
Well, just got a phone call from the servie manager from the Lafayette, Indiana dealership. He said that he forwarded my pics to the regional svc mgr and he said that the perforation has to be completely through!!!

What the heck! Rust is rust in my opinion, and if you look at my pics above, that is a darned good sized rust bubble.

I am gonna drive the heck out of this thing this winter in the salty Indiana roads and hopefully speed up the process.

Service Mgr did say I had till July of 2014 before my warranty was up. So hopefully the rust does its job by then!
Thats just what I told the SA when he nixed my rusting from the inside fender edges::p

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, I am gonna goto the dealership in Fort Wayne and play like I never took it to the Lafayette dealership. Hopefully they will take care of me. But my luck, it will be the same area rep.

DieselHuffer

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI 5-spd
Giddy, Id be interested to know too, as my 02 has some rust around the gate and lower front fenders (both).

Was trying to decide if I wanted to go to Lafayette, Ft Wayne or Indy. Seems I can rule out Lafayette....

GaryTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Beetle TDI 5MT

Did you check underneath to see if there was a rust hole? My 2002 Beetle just came back from getting a huge hole repaired on the driver side rocker panel but the hole was on the underside and couldn't be viewed except when underneath the car. VW approved the drivers side but I had a much smaller hole in the same place on the passenger side that they didn't approve because they said there was other damage on that rocker panel that likely caused the rust. I didn't agree but I was at least happy to get the worse side repaired. They completely replaced the whole rocker panel and it looks great.

Wankel7

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Is there a good rate of success for covering lift gate replacements on the wagons?

r72gsaol

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 99 NB
I just had my 03 sedan deck lid and left front fender replaced due to rust. The deck lid was rusting around the license plate lights and just starting to bubble. The fender had the typical rust but had not perforated yet. The right front was replaced two years ago.

No problems getting it covered. They gave me a loaner car too. Garvey VW in Queensbury, NY.

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
Ok, sorry for not getting to the update sooner (Bought a Harley Davidson and been away from this site for a spell)

Anyway....I ended up going to the VW Dealership in Mishawaka, Indiana and the service manager pretty much told me what the dealer in Lafayette told me!

Fast forward 6 month:

I just bought a 2010 TDI from Vordermans VW in Fort Wayne and had explained my displeasure with VW's corrosion protection warranty to the salesman and he acted shocked and told me to bring the it by their shop for inspection.

So, when I get a day to burn, I will drive the 70mi over to the Fort and see if the third time really is the charm!

Minion

TDI
01 Golf 5-speed
Ok, sorry for not getting to the update sooner (Bought a Harley Davidson and been away from this site for a spell)

Anyway....I ended up going to the VW Dealership in Mishawaka, Indiana and the service manager pretty much told me what the dealer in Lafayette told me!

Fast forward 6 month:

I just bought a 2010 TDI from Vordermans VW in Fort Wayne and had explained my displeasure with VW's corrosion protection warranty to the salesman and he acted shocked and told me to bring the it by their shop for inspection.

So, when I get a day to burn, I will drive the 70mi over to the Fort and see if the third time really is the charm!
Let me know the outcome! i have some rust starting on my fenders and the local VW dealer said they will not replace because it is valid for 12 years. I pointed out that my car was a 2001 and it would be still under 12 years. No beans....

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
VW reps are d1ckheads
They only cover some of those defective fenders

DieselHuffer

Veteran Member
TDI

Fast forward 6 month:

Well, at least you narrowed it down by one more for me before I give it a try!

Dr.Phil

TDI
2004 Jetta GL
Rust Replacement Under Warranty

My 2004 Jetta GL has rust on top both front fenders & on the lead edge of both rocker panels. Took it to the local VW dealer without a body shop. Took a few pictures & had me back for some more. I think they lost the first batch. The Service writer has been keeping me abreast of developments along the way. He called tonight & said the regional rep approved the fender rust but not the rocker panels. I asked for a meeting with the rep & he agreed to set it up & will call me tomorrow. So far so good. When I took it to the dealerships referred Body Shop the estimator said he'd done 250 of this type repair. He agreed the rocker rust was from the upper fender rust running down to the rocker on both sides. He said he won't repair but will only replace parts then paint. The rep has a copy of the estimate.

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I was able to do this as well about a year ago. I drove in and they took pictures of the rust spots. Both of the front wheel wells were rusting out in the 12 o'clock position. They called me a week or so later told me to bring it in. They kept it for a few days and I got it back in great condition.

Dr.Phil

TDI
2004 Jetta GL
I got the ok to replace both front fenders from VW & have 30 days to get it fixed or VW will null and void the off. Still no rocker replacement So I'll schedule the fender fix get it in & fight with VW to get my rockers done while fenders are being replaced. Something is better than nothing....I'll keep you up on the developments

DieselHuffer

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the ok to replace both front fenders from VW & have 30 days to get it fixed or VW will null and void the off. Still no rocker replacement So I'll schedule the fender fix get it in & fight with VW to get my rockers done while fenders are being replaced. Something is better than nothing....I'll keep you up on the developments
If you wouldnt mind, would you post what VW is charging to fix the rockers? Or pm me? Mine need done, and Im debating taking it to them or a local non vw shop.
I know it varies from shop to shop, but just looking for a rough estimate.

homann__

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Don't know if this thread is dead or not but I just got a call from Bytek VW (in Ottawa) saying they have two new fenders for me, painted and ready to be put on my 2002 Jetta TDI. I went to them maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago and they already got back to me. Also my when I called a different VW dealer the guy told me my Jetta was one month out of warranty. I think it matters where you go, some people will do it for you, some people won't. When I get there I'm going to ask if they can do anything about my rocker panels (passenger side has been eaten right through) and some rust bubbles starting to show behind my driver side taillight. Regardless when I was told by the other dealer that my Jetta is out of warranty I sort of lost all hope in getting these repaired free of charge. This has given me some new hope. :)

Louis_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf Gls
Don't know if this thread is dead or not but I just got a call from Bytek VW (in Ottawa) saying they have two new fenders for me, painted and ready to be put on my 2002 Jetta TDI. I went to them maybe 2 or 3 weeks ago and they already got back to me. Also my when I called a different VW dealer the guy told me my Jetta was one month out of warranty. I think it matters where you go, some people will do it for you, some people won't. When I get there I'm going to ask if they can do anything about my rocker panels (passenger side has been eaten right through) and some rust bubbles starting to show behind my driver side taillight. Regardless when I was told by the other dealer that my Jetta is out of warranty I sort of lost all hope in getting these repaired free of charge. This has given me some new hope. :)
Oh man I should of taken 10 minutes more and went to Bytek instead of Vw de l'Outawais in hull. We went in February to get the ball rolling clean car and taking picture and blah blah blah... 3 months later the service manager Marc André never never calls me back I got a hold of him one time he could't find my folder he had his computer changed and his been really busy and he dons't understand why it's taking so long but hi'l figure it out and call me back... ha hasn't call back yet. So guess I need to take a day off work to get this sorted out? Go sit in this guy's office wile he goes threw his folders like if he was in school to make sure he dose it :confused:

Oh and I all ready did a claim for the same issue (front passenger door) VW Canada told me they would't fix it because it din't show from the outside of the car. And thats why I went in the dead of winter since it started showing from the outside. Only took then 2 months to reply the first time too.