VW rust warranty, best options

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
i have a 07 passat that has some rust issues, was wondering where was the best (most likely to push it though) place in ontario to take it to get the warranty work done? my local dealer (orangeville) doesnt do auto body so they wont even look at it.

Last edited:

akafred

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 jetta TDI
my dealer isn't interested as they don't have autobody, rather then fight it, best to go somewhere else.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
from what I understand, the dealer doesn't decide - it's VW Canada
The dealer though, should be willing to do the documentation required by VW Canada, namely pictures.

My own ex-dealer, Niquet in St. Bruno, Quebec (PM me if you want to know why my EX-dealer), would take the pictures and write it up and send it to VW Canada, and then a decision would come down in a month or two. My '05 Passat has been through the rigamarole twice. On the second time I learned that Niquet farmed out the body work to the local Carstar franchise, and they did the write-up for VW Canada, took pics, etc.

Some of it was refused, in particular the rear right door that was completely perforated behind the moulding. I ended up sending them a legal letter and we settled on half the cost.

You do have to be careful and document in writing what they say. When you complain about a rust spot they'll answer "it has to be perforated". Then when it perforates, they'll say "not covered, caused by neglect, you should have come to us sooner". They tried that sh!t with the door. Oddly, they didn't flinch for the FRONT doors for the same problem, the year before, and replaced them no questions asked.

So if they say "it has to be perforated", make sure the assessment is in writing, and make sure you have pictures. When it perforates and they say no, then pull out the documentation and tell them they'll hear from your lawyer if they don't fix it. The Customer Denial Department seems to need a little arm-twisting to honour the warranty.

I would also call VW Canada and complain about the dealer. They MUST honour the warranty even if it means just pointing you in the right direction if they can't deal with it themselves. Complain about that and ask VW Canada to recommend a place. I know a friend who was denied warranty work from Toyota because he didn't buy the car there (he had moved for a job transfer). He promptly complained to Toyota Canada, and they told him to return to the dealer, and if the service manager refuses again, dial this number and give him the phone.

Which is what he did, and he said it was hilarious, all the service manager was saying on the phone was "yes, sir, no sir, no we don't want that sir. Yes sir, we'll get onto it". Toyota CA threatened to revoke the franchise if they didn't honour the warranty's conditions.

Last edited: