VW Rejecting Non-Clean Titles?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Does anyone know how to figure out the amount for "owner restitution"?
When you make the claim and get to the step of the value, it says how much is restitution and how much is vehicle value. Combined is your buyback. For 2.0s, its about $5K

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Does anyone know how to figure out the amount for "owner restitution"?
If you put the question on google, you will be directed to a number of websites that have the calculation tables. It depends on the vehicle year, model, and accessories. Minimum is $5100, can go up to about $7500.

drawbar777

TDI
2013 vw passat
CRC turned down my claim to no reason

Hope you guys can help me with this dilemma. I had a VW passat TDI 2013 in 2015 I started to have many issues with it from stalling to blown diesel pump etc then came the scandal of the diesel emission that pushed me to trade it in. I lost 10k when I did so, when it was time to file the claim I was overseas and came back 3 days after the deadline has passed. I was allowed to file a paper claim and did so, CRC asked me to provide a proof of my travel itinerary and I promptly emailed it to them. About a week ago CRC sent me a letter and an email telling my claim was denied without any reason provided even though I was eligible for the buyback or restitution claim.

Can anyone help me with any pointers and had anyone else had the same issue and what was their recourse.

playum

TDI
Passat TDI, Jetta TDI, Golf TDI
I have 13 salvage rebuilt cars, but I can't get them to accept my Proof of Acquisition (of course the VW customer service is useless).

I purchased them all rebuilt, they had a California Salvage certificate, I used a California Bill of Sale from a private party. I'm military, so although I'm stationed in California, I'm a resident of Oregon. Oregon allows the base police at your base to do the inspection. I had them inspected, and registered them in Oregon (Title says "Totaled Reconstructed").

For Proof of Acquisition, I've submitted my Bill of Sale and photo of the previous salvage certificate. It get's rejected as "Incorrect Document". I've explained there are no other sales documents, just the Bill of Sale and Previous Salvage certificate. Not sure what they want....The VW customer care asks if I have a "more official" bill of sale? (I guess like you'd get from a dealer...but I bought these from a private party, so I don't have anything like that)

Suggestions anyone?

WISCO

TDI
2009 Touareg TDI
I have 13 salvage rebuilt cars, but I can't get them to accept my Proof of Acquisition (of course the VW customer service is useless).

I purchased them all rebuilt, they had a California Salvage certificate, I used a California Bill of Sale from a private party. I'm military, so although I'm stationed in California, I'm a resident of Oregon. Oregon allows the base police at your base to do the inspection. I had them inspected, and registered them in Oregon (Title says "Totaled Reconstructed").

For Proof of Acquisition, I've submitted my Bill of Sale and photo of the previous salvage certificate. It get's rejected as "Incorrect Document". I've explained there are no other sales documents, just the Bill of Sale and Previous Salvage certificate. Not sure what they want....The VW customer care asks if I have a "more official" bill of sale? (I guess like you'd get from a dealer...but I bought these from a private party, so I don't have anything like that)

Suggestions anyone?
What's the time period these were bought?

ujames

TDI
YES
For those that fall into this category iv with vehicle(s) with salvage titles (not rebuilt), are you seeking legal representation? If yes, based on what real ground?

I think it may make sense for those of us in this category to take this discussion offline. PM your email address and I’ll get it going.
Private discussion forum is up. Your identity will be protected and can be set to be anonymous. If you’ve been actively contributing to this thread, you’ll get an email today if you’ve sent me a PM

Last edited:

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
Can some one clarify on my scenario (sorry I’m new to this forum).
So I currently have my daily driver 2014 Jetta TDI, it was leased by a previous owner, he wrecked it in late 2016. It ended up on IAAI in Fremont CA Auction. I purchased it, restored it and had it registered with a salvage title on February of 2017 (California only has clean or salvage title). Previous owner also filed for his restitution part. He recently just received his part (got a hold of previous owner), the next day I received an email and in my portal stating “Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.” Ineligible claim. I called the hotline and few of the lawyers representing the class and I received same answer, stating that the minimum requirement for this vehicle has been met. I’ll only qualify for a free fix some time in 2019 once the settlement deadline closes. Am I getting the correct info?

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Can some one clarify on my scenario (sorry I’m new to this forum).
So I currently have my daily driver 2014 Jetta TDI, it was leased by a previous owner, he wrecked it in late 2016. It ended up on IAAI in Fremont CA Auction. I purchased it, restored it and had it registered with a salvage title on February of 2017 (California only has clean or salvage title). Previous owner also filed for his restitution part. He recently just received his part (got a hold of previous owner), the next day I received an email and in my portal stating “Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.” Ineligible claim. I called the hotline and few of the lawyers representing the class and I received same answer, stating that the minimum requirement for this vehicle has been met. I’ll only qualify for a free fix some time in 2019 once the settlement deadline closes. Am I getting the correct info?
I think if you claimed restitution you can't get it since it's been paid but you can get buyback minus restitution. Or a fix, I guess.

yurkin89

TDI
2015 GSW TDI x2
I think if you claimed restitution you can't get it since it's been paid but you can get buyback minus restitution. Or a fix, I guess.
From what VW is saying they met their minimum requirement on my vehicle set by the judge. Just previous owners restitution is good enough, and they will not pay anyone else anything nor buy it back.

gmoldovan

TDI
2002 Golf TDI
From what VW is saying they met their minimum requirement on my vehicle set by the judge. Just previous owners restitution is good enough, and they will not pay anyone else anything nor buy it back.
That doesn't sound right. What it is is:
buyback value + restitution=full payment
If someone claimed the restitution, you should still get:
buyback value + no restitution=(just the buyback value)

This isn't VW paying out twice or anything like that, there's just two components to the payment

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
That doesn't sound right. What it is is:
buyback value + restitution=full payment
If someone claimed the restitution, you should still get:
buyback value + no restitution=(just the buyback value)
This isn't VW paying out twice or anything like that, there's just two components to the payment
"Vehicle value" + "restitution" = "buyback". I write that because the FTC tables use that term with restitution included. I'm not sure why they're not offering him vehicle value. According to the below this person can get the fix or turn in for vehicle value.

Page 40 of the Feb 2018 claims supervisor report... https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/w...uary-2018-Report-of-the-Claims-Supervisor.pdf
(iii) Owners of used vehicles that were purchased with a branded title and had a “salvage rebuilt” or equivalent title as of February 26, 2018, are potentially eligible for Vehicle Value if all other eligibility requirements are met. If the previous owner of the vehicle does not submit a claim for Owner Restitution by the September 1, 2018 claim filing deadline, the consumer also may be eligible to receive Owner Restitution in addition to Vehicle Value.

Also footnote 35 on same page... "have the option of electing an AEM."

I'm also assuming for California that iii means Owners of used vehicles that were purchase at an auction lot and received a salvage certificate and had a branded title on Feb 26... In California your title gets branded "salvage" if you restored a wrecked car that came with a bill of sale and a salvage certificate. A branded title with the brand "salvage" in Ca means it's running, licensed, inspected, registered, and driving on roads.

Last edited:

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
It's not so much about double paying per se, but rather the issuing of the eligible lessee restitution payment itself. The buyback was never really a benefit option for an eligible lessee. Unique situation for sure.

Brica

TDI
Passat
I got a email from Vw

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.

Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.

Purchase the car with salvage title Ian 2017
Rebuilt car and title feb 2017
Open claim and provided all documents in mar 2017
After almost One year I got this answer and the claim has been erased from my portal.
The reason I’m not the member of class is because the car was open lease in 2016
Can somebody make me understand what’s going on
Thank you

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
I don’t know
They seem to be playing hardball with salvaged cars which were totaled during an active VW lease, or where the eligible lessee never became an eligible owner. Their position seems to be that an eligible lessee was never entitled to a buyback. I would certainly appeal this decision with the CRC.

This is from the original settlement benefits booklet:

SETTLEMENT PAYMENTS TO LESSEES
The tables below show the range of possible payment amounts to lessees under the Class Action Settlement. The amount you will be offered depends on your car’s model year, model, trim level, and factory options. The amount you will be offered will be the same whether you choose a Lease Termination or an Approved Emissions Modification or no longer have an active lease. The Approved Emissions Modification option will only be available if a modification is approved by the EPA and CARB.
These tables assume that you had a leased car with VW Credit, Inc. when the emissions accusations became public on September 18, 2015 and that you did not purchase that car on or before June 28, 2016. If you purchased your leased car on or before June 28, 2016, then you are considered an owner and should use the tables on the previous two pages to find your payment range.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
Was the vehicle totaled while in an active VW lease?
Why would it matter if a prior owner was a lessee or not and whether or not that lessee received restitution or not? I don't read that condition anywhere nor do I understand the logic behind it. The new owner of the car that was purchased at auction and restored/titled should be eligible as per (iii) of page 40 of the Feb Claims Supervisor Report.

fookin

Veteran Member
TDI
A3
I got a email from Vw
Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxx, you are not eligible to participate in the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program. The reason(s) for your ineligibility is described below.
Not member of class - You are not a member of the class.
Purchase the car with salvage title Ian 2017
Rebuilt car and title feb 2017
Open claim and provided all documents in mar 2017
After almost One year I got this answer and the claim has been erased from my portal.
The reason I’m not the member of class is because the car was open lease in 2016
Can somebody make me understand what’s going on
Thank you
I'm wondering how I would know this to be an issue for me as well?
I bought a 2012 2.0 A3 at auction in Jan 2017.
Rebuilt and registered in March 2017.
Claim on step 15 since March 2017.
Is there a way to find out if prior owner was in an open lease? The car's history report doesn't indicate Audi as the owner or lien holder in any context. The claims website admins have told me already the prior owner has filed for restitution so does that indicate in some way their lesee status?

Jkhalil123

TDI
golf
Quote:
Originally Posted by ujames View Post
For those that fall into this category iv with vehicle(s) with salvage titles (not rebuilt), are you seeking legal representation? If yes, based on what real ground?
....hi anything new?

halbert

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 sportwagen
Recieved fedex package at home today (wife opened): Offering $6800 restitution because vehicle is inoperable. What is the definition of operable? It USED to be that the engine would run and it would move under it's own power. What is it now? Sounds like appeal time :( (On the other hand, I'm tempted to call Copart and have them make an offer)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Recieved fedex package at home today (wife opened): Offering $6800 restitution because vehicle is inoperable. What is the definition of operable? It USED to be that the engine would run and it would move under it's own power. What is it now? Sounds like appeal time :( (On the other hand, I'm tempted to call Copart and have them make an offer)
2.0, 3.0? What is the hx behind your claim? Was it ineligible and sent to CRC?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
The cars coming off of lease do present an interesting problem. If they were operable at lease termination then VW would need to do the emissions fix before reselling them, anything else is a violation of the agreement. The problem is if the lease was terminated because they were totaled. Presumably VW should have scrapped them... but it looks like they just went to the auction yards. It will likely take an appeal or further legal action, but VW may have put itself in a bad position by allowing cars back on the road that they shouldn't have. I would suggest that any appeal point out that VW still has the obligation (by the spirit of the agreement) to get them off the road (buyback) or fix them, based on the owner's preference.