VW recalls 09'-10 DSG's

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
I spoke to VW today and the letters have NOT gone out yet. Should go out this week according to the rep I spoke with. They did confirm my 10 year / 100K mile warranty though:cool:

I also called several local dealers today and not one has the parts in stock yet anyway so there's obviously no rush.

Tosh2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI sedan, sold, 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, auto(!), 2009 TDI sedan Graphite Blue, DSG, ESP. SOLD!
PeoplesCar said:
VW Canada is generally much slower and more reluctant to address such problems than is VWGoA. Don't hold your breath waiting for the dealer to help, they will deny the problem till the cows come home then finally and grudgingly fix the car in their own sweet time. My '03 seat heater set fire to my pants, no kidding, but the dealer denied any problem - although they DID buy me a new pair of pants. Then 6 weeks later every car with heated seats was recalled for a fix.

joetdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2-2002 Jettas W/Auto
Right now there is also going to be a recall on the 2007-08 cars for another issue reguarding the DSG. This will require the replacement of the mechatronics unit as the failure is in the unit with the fluid temp sensor in the TCM. Should the temp sensor see to high a temp the trans will force the clutches to open and the car will not move. This is the issue I talked about in a previous post.

FutureTDI

TDI
Nil
RUSHtheBUS said:
This stuff is insane alright because it is not going on anywhere else in the world (AFAIK) nor in any of VWs other brands with the SAME transmission. There seems to be so many near death experiences with anything new in the USA that the whole thing smacks of hysteria.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Jim1977 said:
You just made the case for a longer warranty, particularly if the manufacturer is using cutting-edge technology that is very expensive to replace. If they know they will be on the hook to fix it for a longer time, they will build it (and test it) to last. Customer expectations should take that into account in their buying decision.
And you were right. Now the DSGs have a Hyundai-like 10 year 100,000 mile warranty...

SportWagenFan said:
HERNDON, Va., Aug. 28 /PRNewswire/ -- Volkswagen Group of America, Inc. (VWGoA) today announced it would initiate a new customer service program to address concerns raised by its customers with certain Direct Shift Gearboxes (DSG((R))) in Volkswagen and Audi models, and to affirm its confidence in the sophisticated technology represented by those components. "Safety, customer satisfaction, quality and long-term reliability are top priorities at Volkswagen and Audi. We have been studying the symptoms customers have reported, and are working closely with the NHTSA," said Stefan Jacoby, president and CEO, VWGoA. "We listened to our customers' concerns, and are taking action to address them. We are focused on taking all the appropriate actions to ensure the complete satisfaction of our existing customers."
This new comprehensive service program affects a limited number of model years 2007-2009 Volkswagens and Audis. Covered models are the Volkswagen R32, Jetta, Jetta SportWagen, GTI, Eos, as well as Audi A3 and TT.
Some customers have reported transmission performance issues under certain driving conditions. This was due to a faulty component inside the Mechatronic unit within a limited production range. VWGoA will repair or replace the components in the transmissions of approximately 43,000 Volkswagens and 10,300 Audis at no charge to the vehicles' owners. Additionally, VWGoA will reimburse customers who have had this repaired at their own expense.
The company has begun increasing the parts supply to expedite this customer service program. As the parts become available, owners of the affected vehicles will be contacted to schedule an appointment at their dealer. The company will make loaner vehicles available at no charge.
In the meantime, owners who may have experienced problems with their transmissions are requested to contact their dealers or the Audi/Volkswagen toll-free customer service numbers (see below).
This new customer service program is unrelated to a voluntary safety recall that VWGoA announced August 20. Under that recall, VWGoA is replacing a faulty temperature sensor in a separate and smaller group of vehicles. (The earlier action addresses a potential for a faulty temperature sensor to cause the transmission to shift into neutral while the vehicle is being driven.)
The company will extend its New Vehicle Limited Warranty to cover the DSG((R) )transmissions affected by the customer service program and the voluntary safety recall. This extended warranty is for 10-years/100,000-miles, transferrable to subsequent owners.
VWGoA is confident these actions will address issues noted by owners of the affected Volkswagen and Audi models. The DSG((R)) gearbox is an industry leading technology that combines the fuel economy of a manual gearshift with the automatic shifting capacity of an automatic transmission.
Customers who have questions or concerns should call the Volkswagen Loyalty Center at 1-800-444-8982 or the Audi Customer Relations Campaign Help Line at 1-800-253-AUDI (2834).

SOURCE Volkswagen Group of America, Inc.
FutureTDI said:
This stuff is insane alright because it is not going on anywhere else in the world (AFAIK) nor in any of VWs other brands with the SAME transmission. There seems to be so many near death experiences with anything new in the USA that the whole thing smacks of hysteria.
Reason: In every other country in the world 9 out of 10 sold cars come with a MANUAL transmission. Only in America do 9 out of 10 cars get sold with an AUTOMATIC. The DSG is an AUTOMATIC (DO NOT get into the technical terms, an automatic shifts itself, the DSG is an automatic).

So the reason you don't see this failure in other places could be that:

- Those who have automatics are disabled in some fashion, and tend to drive less

- They are in delivery vehicles, which eat transmission regardless

- Colder climates (playing on the whole due to the heat/temp - which I don't fully buy after seeing VW's Freezer and Oven test facilities on some engineering show a year or tow back, hell they use the Freezer to cold start the 2010 TDI Golf to prove diesels start like gas cars in the cold)

But I can speculate all day. Facts are, people bought an automatic for whatever reason, and it didn't work. Am I surprised? No this is just the next in a long line of failure-prone Automatics from VW.

Funny thing is that my dad's manual 86 is still rocking, like my 02 Beetle is, the 06 Jetta is, our neighbor's 09 Jetta is..... Oh, wait, we bought real transmissions with a much larger user-based, time tested, and driver approved.

After this I am sure the DSG will be fine and dandy, this will probably hinder the 7-speed's release if I'm right. They will ensure this never happens again, and 10 year 100k miles might become their new power train warranty (useless for someone like me who would burn the miles out in under 3 years time, but hey, it's the deal breaker for others).

However this is more fodder for me to point at a "technical advancement" that really just makes the driver lazy and laugh because it blew up. I feel less bad about the 45k mile transmission lock up on the 2007 Camry now. Seems all car makers automatics suck.

agronomya

TDI
None
I'm sorry but I've been out of town for a while and have gotten behind on this thread. Are all the DSG's getting the 10yr/100k warranty or just those affected by the recall?

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
Now if VW would only do the same (100,000 miles/10 yr) for '06 Dual Mass Flywheels on the manuals (pre 08/07) and for PD cam wear they might convince me to buy another TDI in the future.

And yup I think my DMF (manual) is starting to end it's short (33.5K) life..as for cam wear.. we will see in another 40K miles..

It seems to me that VW has issues with it's transmissions, and at a higher rate than many other manufacturers..

With the DSG-- when I bought in '06 I followed the golden rule for car buying-- never get a new technology in the first year. It looks like with VW that should be three years.

Fred

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
agronomya said:
I'm sorry but I've been out of town for a while and have gotten behind on this thread. Are all the DSG's getting the 10yr/100k warranty or just those affected by the recall?
Only the DSG's affected by the recall get the 10yr/100k mile warranty. I'm not sure which thread had the news release quoted in it, but that's what was stated.

chester_tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
Why do all the manual transmission fanboys have to chime in on all DSG threads?

We get it, you like manual transmissions, now go away.

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
TDI DSG No affected.

My local dealer in Lincoln NE Today (9-1-09) said that only gasoline engines with DSG were affected.

They checked my vin number (TDI purchased in January 09) and it is not part of the DSG recall.

I plan to go on a 4000 mile trip into the mountains. I hope I do not overheat the transmission on the way uphill.

HKS

PeoplesCar

TDI
2009 Jetta
I don't get it. Lots of people are saying that the DSG fluid needs replacing at 40,000 miles (60,000 km). I am looking at my Canada Maintenence schedule which came with the car (09 Jetta TDI, DSG delivered July 23, 2009) and it says nothing about replacing the fluid right up to 120,000 miles (180,000 km). It does mention changing the fluid on a Haldex clutch (4motion only).

Do you guys in the States have a different maintenance schedule for the 09 Jettas with a DSG?

I also wonder if VW Canada is going to do a recall and warranty extension. Have heard absolutely nothing from them or in the press.

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
UPDATE TO DSG RECALL.

VW now has the final numbers for the recall involving the temp sensor. WE ARE ON IT, SHUCKS
It will be referred to the "S7" campaign. It involves an inspection and then the replacement if deemed. What it is is a faulty wiring harness to the sensor itself. A bad crimp job.

that's the latest...

Babe

Babe

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
HKS said:
My local dealer in Lincoln NE Today (9-1-09) said that only gasoline engines with DSG were affected.

They checked my vin number (TDI purchased in January 09) and it is not part of the DSG recall.

I plan to go on a 4000 mile trip into the mountains. I hope I do not overheat the transmission on the way uphill.

HKS
we cancelled our trip to the Pocono Mountains this week cause the DSG will get a good workout going up and down...got this advice from a person who knows.

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
PeoplesCar said:
I am looking at my Canada Maintenence schedule which came with the car (09 Jetta TDI, DSG delivered July 23, 2009) and it says nothing about replacing the fluid right up to 120,000 miles (180,000 km).
Just checked my Canada Maintenance Schedule, you need to replace the fluid at 60,000km. Check the top of the next page for the continuation!

PeoplesCar said:
I also wonder if VW Canada is going to do a recall and warranty extension. Have heard absolutely nothing from them or in the press.
Today, I called VW Canada Customer Care (1-800-822-8987) September 31st, 2009 with my VIN. There were no open campaigns on my vehicle (purchased early 2009). I also called VW Loyalta America (1-800-444-8982), who also confirmed this.

PeoplesCar

TDI
2009 Jetta
solartempest said:
Just checked my Canada Maintenance Schedule, you need to replace the fluid at 60,000km. Check the top of the next page for the continuation!]

HMM!. I must be blind or stupid but there is definately no mention of it in my maintenance booklet. Not to say it isn't true. I just thought if it is an issue that they would have spelled it out.

The top of the next page is for the dealer stamp on the maintenance and next service form to fill out.

From the back of the maintenance booklet.

Print Status 12.2007
Art.-Nr.: 291.554.MA!22 | Englisch Canada 01.2008

I will contact VW Canada and try and get clarification.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hey newb....Nice greeting from you, Why can't you keep YOUR comments to yourself?

See you in DC......

chester_tdi said:
Why do all the manual transmission fanboys have to chime in on all DSG threads?

We get it, you like manual transmissions, now go away.

solartempest

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG
PeoplesCar said:
HMM!. I must be blind or stupid but there is definately no mention of it in my maintenance booklet. Not to say it isn't true. I just thought if it is an issue that they would have spelled it out.
Print Status 12.2007
Art.-Nr.: 291.554.MA!22 | Englisch Canada 01.2008

I will contact VW Canada and try and get clarification.
When you contact them, you might want to request an updated maintenance booklet. My dealership gave me the wrong booklet and took them about a month to get the proper one to me.

Canadian Maintenance Manual is shown below (60,000km is before 75,000km):

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
60k kms ~ 37,260 miles ( 40k miles ~ ( 64k kms ) is the suggested US spec car change Interval ) . so I'll buy that 60k km change interval ,

By the way VW is well known for not printing correct info in their warranty & service manuals . I have more than a few inserts , a stack of them from cars I've owned over the years to fix/deal with issues left out of the cars owners & service manuals .

chester_tdi

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG
did i make the fanboys mad, so sorry. but I'm tired of every DSG thread having some fool, saying "You should of got a manual"

PeoplesCar

TDI
2009 Jetta
Cool. Thanks for the info.

solartempest said:
When you contact them, you might want to request an updated maintenance booklet. My dealership gave me the wrong booklet and took them about a month to get the proper one to me.

Canadian Maintenance Manual is shown below (60,000km is before 75,000km):

FutureTDI

TDI
Nil
Reason: In every other country in the world 9 out of 10 sold cars come with a MANUAL transmission. Only in America do 9 out of 10 cars get sold with an AUTOMATIC. The DSG is an AUTOMATIC (DO NOT get into the technical terms, an automatic shifts itself, the DSG is an automatic).

So the reason you don't see this failure in other places could be that:

- Those who have automatics are disabled in some fashion, and tend to drive less

- They are in delivery vehicles, which eat transmission regardless

- Colder climates (playing on the whole due to the heat/temp - which I don't fully buy after seeing VW's Freezer and Oven test facilities on some engineering show a year or tow back, hell they use the Freezer to cold start the 2010 TDI Golf to prove diesels start like gas cars in the cold)
Sorry, but I can't buy your logic on this one. The fact is that more than 2 million have been made and other countries tend to have about 30% DSG penetration. And the drivers are not disabled.

Approx 2 million produced and this is a relatively minor recall. Hysteria brought about by fear of new technology.

Last edited:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
FutureTDI said:
Hysteria brought about by fear of new technology.
Too true. When Ford started to use a ZF designed/built CVT transmission, they were panned-no chance of being reliable etc. Nobody said the same thing about CVT transmissions in MINI, Nissan, etc. CVT are far more common in europe.

jmanner

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium - gone
frugality said:
Only the DSG's affected by the recall get the 10yr/100k mile warranty. I'm not sure which thread had the news release quoted in it, but that's what was stated.
This is sad. VW should go to 10/100 for all new DSG's also, for that matter the entire TDI drivetrain. My '01 came with 10/100 and did not have a bit of trouble during that period. However, it was nice to have the warm fuzzy feeling of the warranty in the background. I view it as a partnership, I do my part with superior maintenance, and VW backs their product. Now at 140K, no problems, and expecting many more miles.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Years ago, I bought an Infiniti Q45. There was a transmission upgrade campaign where they added a transmission oil cooler, and if you had that campaign performed, your warranty on the transmission was extended.

Of course, every warranty extension creates a liability on the manufacturer's books for future expenses that will have to be covered, so the bean counters would prefer to limit the extension to as few vehicles as possible.

But what is the purpose of the warranty extension? Is it to build good will with owners? Is it to prevent the DSG from suffering a poor reputation in the market place? What does limiting the warranty extension to recalled units say? It seems to say that VW has more confidence in recalled but repaired DSG units than it has in DSG units that were never considered to be in need of repair.

It is certainly a mixed and confused message.

Jim1977

TDI
none
k1xv said:
It is certainly a mixed and confused message.
My guess is that it is simply hand-holding for the people who need it the most, the ones affected by the recall. They probably have no idea at this point whether the repaired units will be more or less reliable. But I am still not clear on exactly how many different problems are out there. I know it is more than just the temperature sensor, but beyond that opinions differ.

But I am out for this round. Maybe in 10 or 15 years, when I am in the market again, they will have the DSG issues sorted out.

William J Toensing

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 TDI Jetta "value edition" 4 door
I was afraid of that DSG transmission when I first saw a cut-away display of it at the 2008 VW display at the LA Auto Show. Clutches wear out eventually.Who will be able to work on that transmission? I doubt the average VW dealership will have any mechanic capable of working on it. I heard somewhere those transmissions had t6o be sent back to Germany for repair. Is this true?

jaydogg007

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Babe said:
Anyone get their recall letter yet
I haven't gotten mine, nor have I called VW or made an appointment to see a dealership. I'll scan mine and post it here as soon as it comes in. Not sure the letters have even gone out yet? Have they?

Also, make sure you update your contact information with VW if you've moved since you bought your car. I was filing some maintenance records last night and saw a card that I filled out with my phone numbers, email and mailing addresses.

securityguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan
William, don't believe everything you read or hear. The tranny's can be worked on by any qualified VW mechanic (maybe not your dealership but a good local mechanic:D )...they do not need to be sent back to Germany.

Jaydogg, letters haven't gone out yet.