VW really doesn't want a sale....

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
In late September, I placed an order with Coastal VW in Massachusetts for a white/beige VW Golf TDI SE with both the lighting package and the driver assistance package. I was told it would take 8-12 weeks for delivery. Up to about two weeks ago, the dealer was sticking to a "mid-December" estimated delivery date, despite the fact that the car hadn't budged in their order tracker from the initial "order placed" status (whatever it's technically called).

A couple days ago, the dealer called and said that the car would be delayed by three more months. The song and dance I was given was that VW wasn't yet building Golfs with the driver assistance package. (I'm highly suspicious of that claim, since I'm pretty sure I've seen reports of such cars on this and other forums.)

Needless to say, I'm quite frustrated -- enough that I've more-or-less decided to cancel the order, buy something else entirely, and never set foot in a VW dealership again. I feel like I've been lied to, or at least that VW is so incompetent that it can't manage its order systems, or maybe communicate clearly to its dealers. If anybody has any suggestions for how to light a fire under VW to get me my car in the next month or so, though, I'd love to hear it.

I'm mostly just venting. In case I get something else, though, thanks to everybody who's posted useful information!

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
By all means cancel the order. Contact other VW dealers that either will work better with you and/or the VW order system, or the over all dealers' inventory system.

Me? I would delete the option !! Saved $'s, who is to know what resale value or HIT it offers, dubious operational value.

The truths MIGHT be (I really do not know) : they are absolutely telling you the truth, There MAY be real delays. What do they have to gain by lying? They might not be a dealer with BIGGER factory order allocations. They might not be willing to do their (smaller) allocated factory order for you, or unwilling to do the extra leg work to get the EXACT model and options that you are looking for.

Last edited:

cmschmie

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE 6MT
I feel your pain, though I did not order the driver assistant package, it took 3 months to get my car.
If you take a look at the last few pages of the "order tracker" thread you'll notice that there are significant delays in vehicle orders with the driver assistance package.

Best of luck.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Paul Clark VW is our supplier and we've collectively bought a bunch of cars from them. If you want give me or Corey a call at IDParts and we'll provide an intro. They're good at intercepting cars in transit or headed to other dealers.

Requiescat In Pace
Burlington, NJ {35 minutes from Phila Int"l
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
Or call Chris. That dude works miracles.
The op and I are in contact with each other.

I am waiting every day for the updated ETA. They have pushed it off for 3 days now.

The delay has everything to do with the Driver assist Option and I apologize on behalf of VW.

I gave in fact come up with an alternative today that will save our fellow TDI club member approx 1-2 months from his ordered vehicle.

I will report to him tomorrow upon seeing his order update

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Thanks for making sense of this, Chris. When my local dealer [the next closest one is about 1500 miles away] couldn't help me with my order after my down payment, I began searching. I found the car I wanted in Miami, flew there and drove one-way to Seattle by myself in 6 days. I then had the car put on a barge and shipped to me for less than the local dealer would deal with me to make. It worked out well and I'm happy with the car, almost 6 years later.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
The op and I are in contact with each other.
Untrue. I'm the OP, and I haven't heard anything from you, aside from this post. You may be thinking of somebody else with a similar problem. If you care to look into my issue, I'd be glad of the help, though....

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
Untrue. I'm the OP, and I haven't heard anything from you, aside from this post. You may be thinking of somebody else with a similar problem. If you care to look into my issue, I'd be glad of the help, though....
Please pardon me, I thought you were the gentleman who wrote me in an email just the other night!

I just looked your car up and YES, it is in Factory order bank status with its next ETA move along of 01/2013.

401065EE35792015AU16920Q0QSRAID GEG GLN P00 P08 $28,270SOLD
Factory Order BankMA01/13/2015

Unfortuntaely, I only see one other white one due in sooner to a dealer in Las Vegas, NV. That vehhicle is maked SOLD as well!

There are other colors showing sooner!

Chris

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
To the OP:

If your dealer states that they haven't made Golfs with the driver assist package yet, they are either ill informed or not being completely honest with you. There are cars on the ground right now with the driver assist. If you search autotrader.com, you'll find a few here and there. They're rare but out there.

I'm in the same boat as you. I am waiting for a Golf SEL TDI with the lighting and driver assist packages. Chris placed the order for me in late September and it has sat there stagnant for about two months. The difference is I had better visibility through my salesman that my chosen car was stuck in VW's purgatory system. As said before, the Driver Assist has held the car up.

The best suggestion I can make is to contact VW and voice your displeasure. It may not make a hill of beans difference in the outcome but I don't think saying nothing helps either.

I suspect one of two things are happening with the Driver Assist:

1) VW has a parts shortage. In my conversation with a VW represenative, he made no mention of a parts shortage.

2) This is a planned event. VW has alloted a limited number of hardware for North America and European/ROW demand supercedes our needs. I believe the only reason they are offering Driver Assist as an option at all is to get the IIHS top safety pick + rating. You need some form of a frontal collision avoidance/warning system available to get the "plus". They've already made some cars with a minimal warning system so that box is checked. Notice in the EU/ROW, they are using the same radar integrated into a more advanced system which includes adaptive cruise control. They can make more money per unit in these EU/ROW cars so they are cherry picking to give ample supply to them and we're getting sloppy seconds. I can't prove it but it's a theory.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
Please pardon me, I thought you were the gentleman who wrote me in an email just the other night!
That's OK. Sorry if I sounded prickly; that wasn't my intention.

I just looked your car up and YES, it is in Factory order bank status with its next ETA move along of 01/2013.
What does this mean? Is there a chance it'll be built in January? If so, I might just hold out for the Golf.

Unfortuntaely, I only see one other white one due in sooner to a dealer in Las Vegas, NV. That vehhicle is maked SOLD as well!

There are other colors showing sooner!
I'd accept light blue or maybe red. (Or lots of colors that VW doesn't offer. :-( ) I'm more concerned with the transmission (manual), option packages, and interior color. (I've driven cars with dark grey interiors for the past 20 years, so I want a change on that!)

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
That's OK. Sorry if I sounded prickly; that wasn't my intention.

What does this mean? Is there a chance it'll be built in January? If so, I might just hold out for the Golf.

I'd accept light blue or maybe red. (Or lots of colors that VW doesn't offer. :-( ) I'm more concerned with the transmission (manual), option packages, and interior color. (I've driven cars with dark grey interiors for the past 20 years, so I want a change on that!)
Upon running a locate thru VW's system, there are only 2 cars other then yours with the Drivers Asisst pkg from Deleware to Vermont and they are both marked sold.

Only 1 car from Md to Florida.

Here is one that I would have your dealer check on for you. I realize it is marked Sold, however, you never know

Order Configuration

Model Year: 2015
Model: AU1692 GOLF A7 SE 4-DR 2.0TDI MANUAL $25,495
Exterior Color: 2B2B SILK BLUE METALLIC $0
Interior Color: SR BEIGE LEATHERETTE $0
Options: ARK ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE KIT $85
GMT GOLF TDI RUBBER MAT KIT (PORT INSTALLED) $235
P00 LIGHTING PACKAGE $995
P08 DRIVER ASSISTANCE PACKAGE $695
DESTINATION CHARGE $820

Estimated Total MSRP $28,325

Commnum VIN Status
CZ4173 3VWRA7AU1FM055624 Intransit From Factory

Estimated Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the model equipped as shown. Taxes, title, transportation, other options and dealer charges not included. Actual prices set by dealer. FINAL DEALER INVOICE COST AND MSRP ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME BEFORE INVOICING.

Dealer Information
Dealer 401067
Name Volkswagen of North Attleboro, Inc.
Address
563 Kelley Boulevard
North Attleboro, MA 02761
Phone (508) 6957131
Fax (508) 6950321

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
If you or anyone else that is waiting for a vehicle with the asisst pkg and can no longer wait and have niot given up on the idea completely, I do have this vehicle in stock without the Drivers Asisst pkg, however, the manual trans, lighting pkg, and a great color!

So here is what I have to offer. A rare annual trans!

Order Configuration

Model Year: 2015
Model: AU1892 GOLF A7 SEL 4-DR 2.0TDI MANUAL
Exterior Color: K5K5 TUNGSTEN SILVER METALLIC
Interior Color: TW BLACK LEATHERETTE
Options: P07 LIGHTING PACKAGE

Estimated Total MSRP $29,810

Commnum VIN Status
DW2465 3VWRA7AU5FM047008 Dealer Stock

Estimated Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the model equipped as shown. Taxes, title, transportation, other options and dealer charges not included. Actual prices set by dealer. FINAL DEALER INVOICE COST AND MSRP ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE AT ANY TIME BEFORE INVOICING.

MSRP is $29810
Dealer invoice is $28701
My price would be $28801 plus $298.40 doc fee plus $8 temp tag

Thank you all for the consideration

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
Upon running a locate thru VW's system, there are only 2 cars other then yours with the Drivers Asisst pkg from Deleware to Vermont and they are both marked sold.

Only 1 car from Md to Florida.

Here is one that I would have your dealer check on for you. I realize it is marked Sold, however, you never know
Indeed. It turns out it was a special order placed this summer. The original buyer, like me, got frustrated at the wait and bought something off the lot, so it was available! "Was" because it'll now be mine!

Thanks again! VW should give you a raise!

Requiescat In Pace
TDI
all the TDI's on the lot
Indeed. It turns out it was a special order placed this summer. The original buyer, like me, got frustrated at the wait and bought something off the lot, so it was available! "Was" because it'll now be mine!

Thanks again! VW should give you a raise!
Well there you go my friend! Great turnaround and many happy miles!

I have no hair up top because of VW! lol

TurnOne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI 6MT
I'd wait for the driver package if it included the adaptive cruise control. Appears somewhere in the world gets that but not the USA. I would not pay extra for some beeps.

Last edited:

CT_White_SRT

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL
I too had a big delay in getting my car with DAP.

Ordered early August and was told 4-6 weeks. Kept getting pushed back.

It was the DAP delaying it. We ended up getting it right before Thanksgiving.

I have not driven it much. I don't think the DAP was worth waiting for. Is it only sensors for parking?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The owner of our local dealer stopped in last Friday and I asked him about availability of this car. He said he has an employee who used to do allocations for VW, and is good at knowing where to look and how to capture ones in the pipeline or transit.

If the OP is still looking and wants an intro my offer stands. Call us Friday and I'll help you get in touch with Paul Clark to see if he can help.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
IndigoBlueWagon, thanks for the offer, but it's unnecessary. I got a call earlier today that the car to which 3193 pointed is expected to arrive in port this week and be in the dealer's hands next week. Of course I expect to be driving it a day or two later....

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
An update, and a happy ending/beginning: My car arrived today! I called the dealership at 10:00 AM and was told they had no updated ETA, only to have them call back two hours later and tell me it was being unloaded from the truck! Much running around ensued to get paperwork in order, etc., and it's now sitting in my driveway.

So, thanks again to Chris/3193 for pointing me to the car!

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
Congratulations srs5694, the silk blue looks really good.
If I lived closer would give Chris my business.
Enjoy.