VW Racing, Strut Bushing Upgrade

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I purchased a set of OEM Strut bushing that go in the tower. It's the same part the VW racing team uses. These things are fantastic.

Sorry I don't have any pics but they look just like the OEM strut bushings. The difference is you cannot bend or push them with your finger.

That's how firm these are

And remember, since they don't do alot of shock absorption the springs and struts do, they don't sacrifice ride comfort.

But just as Kennedy is always saying every little piece helps. It's all cumulative but I'll tell you this, I noticed a difference immediately.

Steering is crisp and sharp, turns are solid. Now, you've got to start with a good set of Bilstein's or other aftermarket suspension to have these be affective, IMHO.

I've now got the upper strut bar, lower bar and Race strut bushing. I'm very pleased with my handling and ride with this setup.

I got them from Dan at Hillside Imports.

Lito

peter pyce

Veteran Member
.....And remember, since they don't do alot of shock absorption the springs and struts do, they don't sacrifice ride comfort.....
They do actually do a lot as a lot do tires. It is all part of the equation. I suspect you have not mounted them yet, therefore you say they do not sacrifice comfort...... It is like going from 15" to 17" wheels, some comfort always goes away with the stiffer and shorter sidewall....

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Peter,

IMO, the bushings do more for handling than sacrifice ride comfort. The biggest change I made which affected ride comfort were the struts, shocks and springs.

The upper and lower strut tower bars along with the bushings have affected the steering control and cornering. My suspension is not jarring as a result of adding these items. That was my point.

If you read what I wrote, I agreed with Kennedy that it's a cumulative affect. But it's no where near changing the stock suspension to Bilstein HD's.

And yes, I've been riding on them and have formulated my opinion based upon my experience.

So again, all of these items serve to make the suspension more crisp, responsive and fun to drive. Adding the bushings, bars alone will not be the same as changing out the stock shocks, struts and springs to an aftermarket set.

Your opinion may vary, but this is mine.

peter pyce

Veteran Member
Sure, I have no problem with anything that you said in your second post. I just find the wording "do not sacrifice ride comfort" in your first post to be off, because whatever you put "stiffer" in there, it sacrifices the comfort some. It depends on how much, but that is personal. It is like to say: "I put 16" wheels after the 15"s and comfort is the same"...it can not be true. There is sacrifice, but it may be little to someone and more to someone else. Also it depends where exactly you drive, etc....... it was just the wording, that's all. You do not know who reads and how do they understand your words. Someone less experienced than you may think "Whoa, check this deal, helps handling but comfort is the same!" and goes and gets them and only then realizes that comfort is somehow different as the stiffer rubber transfers more of everything from the strut assembly. It is exactly like a Z-rated tire, even if you keep the same size and rim and pressure, it will be stiffer wall, so stiffer ride. It does a lot to handling, but it takes some from comfort...... Now, you could come and tell me that this harder bushing did not do anything to comfort at all to you - I would say it really depends what kind of roads you drive on. If you have some sort of German autobahns there, then I would agree again, you may not notice the difference in comfort, but try those on the crap of roads I drive, cement joints every several feet, and it makes a lot of difference....

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Lito,

I just read this thread and thought maybe you (or someone else) might know the answer to my question. I've just ordered the front and rear sway bars and lower stress bar from Autotech. They all come with mounting hardware and polyurethane bushings. I had the car at the dealership, up on an alignment rack, trying to find the source of an annoying squeek from the front suspension. We narrowed it down to the control arm bushings and I'm having them replaced on Monday when I have the sway bars installed. My question is, on the diagram below, which bushings would be replaced in conjunction with the sway bar install? I've got an idea but just need some confirmation. Thanks.
According to the source of the diagram, the bushings are as follows:

(1) Front Wishbone Front Inner Bushing
(2) Front Wishbone Rear Inner Bushing
(3) Front Anti-Roll Bar Mount
(4) Front Anti-Roll Bar Link Bushing
(5) not listed

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For Justin:

The Upper Strut Bushing are from Dan at Hillside Imports. They are an OEM part used by the racing team. IIRC, they were $30 ish each? Don't quote me.

The upper Strut tower sway bar is the OEM bar similar but not exactly the same as the one used on the Audi TT. It's made for the A4 platform but is not available here in the US. IIRC, it was $87-$90ish? Dan has these in stock. At least the last time I talked with him he did.

The lower stress bar is from Neuspeed. It will fit above the OEM Steel Skid Plate.

L

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
2001 golf gl, 2006 jetta, 1981 ALH swapped rabbit pickup, 1998 beetle
Lito, you may want to get these too from ecs tuning.
<a href="javascript:msgWindow=open('/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?partnumber=' + escape('MK4RCSI') + '&html=learnmore.html','notespopup','menubar=no,directories=no,status=no,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no,width=450,height=250');msgWindow.focus();" target="_blank">ECS Urethane rear coil spring isolators</a>

Though I dont have them yet, I'm planning on it.

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
just ordered mine.

and they sent these along too!

Now the question is. when will I find the time to install them!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Justin,

Thanks for the pics. What you can't tell from the pics is just how hard those things are.

You will be very happy with them.

L

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Lito, you may want to get these too from ecs tuning.
<a href="javascript:msgWindow=open('/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi/?partnumber=' + escape('MK4RCSI') + '&html=learnmore.html','notespopup','menubar=no,directories=no,status=no,resizable=yes,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no,width=450,height=250');msgWindow.focus();" target="_blank">ECS Urethane rear coil spring isolators</a>

Though I dont have them yet, I'm planning on it.
Justin,
Those are just energy suspension bushings. ECS is too high for those.
I have the ES rear spring isolators and both sets of control arm bushings. You can get them cheap if you shop areound.
They also sell poly trailing arm bushing... But no way am I dropping that to install thsoe.

bigmacf1

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta 1.8T Tiptronic sedan galactic blue
Anyone know if I can use the VWR strut bushing on R32 front suspension? Any benefit(better/harder) or just stick with stock R32 ones? TIA.

Kennedy

Veteran Member
Anyone know if I can use the VWR strut bushing on R32 front suspension? Any benefit(better/harder) or just stick with stock R32 ones? TIA.
Same benefit would be realized on the TDI as the R32, although the R32 suspension is already tighter than the TDI's

I'm 100% sure VW did not use VWMS bushings on the R32.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
So are there any poly replacement bushings for the stock swaybar? I have replaced mine twice in the last 2 years.

Thanks

dieseltwo

Veteran Member
What is the part number for the VW racing strut bushings. I am changing my struts and want the better bushings. Please get back, and thank-you

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I downloaded the PDF for the Golf IV and it indicates that the top mount part number is 1JV 412 331. But check it out for yourself. I am not 100% sure about it?

Rally parts catalogue

These parts may not be available from a dealr? You might have to order them directly from VW Motorsports or find someone to order it for you?

oldpoopie

Vendor
TDI
I thought I'd bump this to the top. I've gotten a few IM's regarding this lately. Just like Lito, I purchased my set from Dan at Hillside Imports.

Unfortunately, the part #s were removed, so that limits the ability to source these. They are significantly stiffer than oem, though I imagine that using a Eurethane part might be even better. I know someone on vortex is selling eurethane ones, but the search is down.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
hmmm...

so these factory things are butyl? Just like the OEM ones?

hmmm...

here's the thought - going from soft old stock upper strut mounts to harder ones (oem or vw racing or poly or solid) will be more dramatic than starting with new ones...

its kinda like someone raving at how great the new tires are after driving on bald crappy tires for a year, any new tire would be better...

however - i'd be curious to hear from lito here what the difference is now, and how much these have settled since installing, or anyoen who's put them in.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Geoff,

It's hard to tell from just one component. I'll tell you this, before I knew about the harder ones I had installed NEW regular OEM bushings.

Removing them just 6 months later and you would not believe the deformed state of the OEM regular bushings were in.

I'd have to remove them and take a look at the condition to really know.

But, when first installed they made a big difference.

L

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
cool.. 6 months can't be that bad... esp since for me thats 20k miles on jointed concrete...

thanks for the update lito!

have they settled at all? That you've noticed (from looking at the towers)

hmmm - gonna add these to the list for the next suspension change (when the TC's need warranty replacement)...