VW R5 TDI stalling, hard start

CarlPDE

TDI
VW T5 2,5 AXD
Dear community,
I'm hoping for some help!
The vehicle is a VW T5 Multivan (eurovan) with 5 cyl TDI 130 hp motor AXD, built 2005

I'm not a mechanic and limited to the backyard in terms of tools and possibilities.

The last year i had some sporadic stalling of the car, maybe once a month, always when slowing down and the engine was hot.

Last week i drove a couple hundred km for work, and this started happening more frequently, always hard to restart immediately after but could be done after some cranking and disconnecting the battery cables for a minute or so.

Now the car is in my backyard and hardly starts at all. Only after sitting a while and some really serious cranking ( yes got a new battery), for 15-20 seconds it " catches on" and runs on high rpms for a while
but stalls pretty quickly in idle.
Trying the same thing again right away only results in cranking without the engine starting.

I installed a new battery and tandem pump, without any improvement.

Pulled the rocker cover today without seeing anything strange except for a bit of scoring on the exhaust valve of cyl 1.
The camshaft is still in place.

I have a handheld OBD scanner (which usually works well for this car) doesn't show any error codes except for one for the fuel temperature sensor but i had that for a long time already, more than a year.

Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated! What could be the next step? Do i need to pull the head after all?

I have no possibility to measure compression at the moment.