VW Predictions for 2016

TDIBone

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI
Any predictions for what VW might do in 2016?

It probably won't happen in 2016, but I predict VW will move away from the TDI moniker because of all the negativity now associated with it.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
-I'm thinking that they'll announce some new vehicles. Maybe an AWD Passat TDI wagon. :) That one is most likely not going to happen, but it would be pretty sweet.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Any predictions for what VW might do in 2016?

It probably won't happen in 2016, but I predict VW will move away from the TDI moniker because of all the negativity now associated with it.
IF diesel sales resume, a re-branding wouldn't surprise me. I'm guessing the current TDI moniker, and the word "diesel" will disappear. TCI? For turbocharged compression ignition?

Coupled to a new campaign, "trust us, this time it really IS clean!" :D

With any kind of luck, EPA approval will come well into the 2017 model year, and VW will have a fire sale of unsold 2016s at deep discount prices. Maybe I could persuade my wife to trade hers in on a new wagon :D

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
I see VW selling the 1.4T gasoline engine as the new base power plant.
For the Golf and Jetta as this is a popular engine in Europe and the remainder of the world.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
For the Golf and Jetta as this is a popular engine in Europe and the remainder of the world.
You're running a bit late, this has already happened for the Jetta starting with the 2016 MY, in Trendline, Trendline+ and Comfortline trim in Canada (and whatever the US equivalents are), 150 hp and 184 lb-ft torque starting as low as 1400 rpm. Stellar fuel efficiency for a gasser. I hope it finds its way into the base Golf as well.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Hopefully VW will not regret replacing the boat anchor 2.5 with the new TSIs in the litigious USA. There is certainly no reason for them to risk selling small diesels anymore given the TSI's excellent economy and decline of oil prices.
My prediction: after the current feeding frenzy is over lawyers will discover that cars have been designed specifically to pass standardised crash tests and are not necessarily equally safe in every accident.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
I think TDI will be phased out unfortunately. Bad press, plus fuel efficient gassers, plus EV and hybrid models. You know there will be extra monitoring going on by the EPA and CARB if they choose to continue. I don't like to speculate but if I were in charge of VW I would abandon small diesel engines due to all the loss this has/will caused on VW. It's sad really but think about the other issues like HPFP failures and turbo failures. If by some chance they choose to continue I agree with others that the TDI brand will need to be changed.

Posted via my phablet using Tapatalk

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
VW already introduced the 1.4TSI on the Jetta as the base powerplant that replaced the 2.slow motor.

40 mpg highway also.

vwmk4

Veteran Member
TDI
None at this time, Looking for a nice one though.
OK OK, I see the Golf will get the 1.4T as the base engine. Replacing the 2. SLO.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
the 2.slow was not available in a MK5/6/7 Golf/Rabbit (at least in the US).

the base engine was a 2.5L 5-cylinder motor, which got replaced by the 1.8TSI motor.
With which I can also easily make 40 mpg highway. I'd love to get my hands on a 1.4 TSI to see what kind of mileage I could wring out of it :D

I'm inclined to think diesels are on their way out as well. Not only here but in Europe. A 1.8 TSI can make 200 lb-ft torque from 1600 rpm (the manuals are detuned to 185, but the automatics make the full 200), make 20 more hp than a 2.0 TDI, and can get pretty close in mileage on the highway. Less emissions plumbing, no timing belt, no HPFP (well not in the sense that the TDI has one, it's a much simpler cam-driven design that has given grief before in the 2.0T).

Having a TDI to drive alongside my TSI, I can say that the latter is much more fun to drive, freer revving, MUCH smoother and quieter, and faster. The torque delivery also somehow seems better than the TDI, though I think part of that may be due to gearing.

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
VW introduces Skoda as its alternate brand.
Chattanooga's future is doubtful as VW Mexico announces massive expansion.
Turbo gasser and Hybrids take over.
Tdis owners get offered gasser engine replacements.
Tdi engines turned into boat anchors with effigies of CARB and EPA attached.
Audi gets stronger and broadens its range.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Would this be the same 1.4 TSI with the cylinder deactivation feature?
For the 1.4 variations of this new engine range, yes.
The 1.4 l 103 kW TSI engine is the basic engine in the
new EA211 petrol engine family. It is available in two
versions, with and without Active Cylinder Management
(ACT). The power and the torque are the same in
both versions.​

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
VW introduces Skoda as its alternate brand.
It'll cost VW too much money (they now don't have) to introduce the North American public to a new lower-cost brand. I could see them brand existing lines a little differently: Jetta stays on as the NA-designed compact; Jetta Classic or Jetta City stays on as the lower-cost previous generation (as they did in Canada for a while). The 20-whenever-it's-refreshed Passat will be the NMS; the current generation may stay on in one stripper model as a loss-leader Passat Classic.

Chattanooga's future is doubtful as VW Mexico announces massive expansion.
I don't think it will take Mexican expansion to do in Chattanooga. But watch what happens to expansion in NC if that workforce goes union.

Audi gets stronger and broadens its range.
I can't quite see this one. Audi has fought too long and hard to be spoken of in the same breath as BMW and Daimler -- at least in North America -- to want to go down-range. Broaden the range? Sure, though I'm not quite sure where they'd go next.

But BMW and Daimler don't have brands to which they can direct lower-price customers (mini is different enough in my mind that it doesn't count); Audi does in VW (and, elsewhere, in SEAT and Skoda).

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
-I'm thinking that they'll announce some new vehicles. Maybe an AWD Passat TDI wagon. :) That one is most likely not going to happen, but it would be pretty sweet.
My current thought is that they won't do anything remarkable (vehicle, policy, etc. wise) and will just continue to circle-jerk with regulators for the rest of the year.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
what? another stupid thread on this crap. yay

jayp111

Veteran Member
TDI
n/a
what? another stupid thread on this crap. yay
I predict a lot of former prius owners will continue to be butt hurt and threadzilla will have to be moved to its own website thus returning tdiclub back to a productive site full of people who actually like TDI's and share info

jerryn63

TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
VW will probably sell Bentley and Bugatti

I'd imagine Volkswagen will have to restructure... selling off Bentley and Bugatti.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
Open an office in Washington & staff it with a lawyer.

http://media.vw.com/release/1136/

.......Dr. Thomas Steg, Head of Group Government Relations at Volkswagen AG, said: “The diesel emissions crisis has, understandably, broken the trust of regulators, elected officials, and the public. Now, more than ever, the Company must communicate with transparency and responsiveness to its stakeholders. The company will establish a Group Representation Office in Washington, similar to its offices in Berlin, Brussels, Madrid and other world capitals. We are pleased that David will lead this office and assist the Company in a more concentrated way with its government relations.” ...

From the above link

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
I predict people will still be buying TDIs for many years to come. I was at the dealer today to get my wife's "we're sorry we messed with your trust" credit cards activated and someone was taking delivery of a brand new to him used Jetta TDI.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
PHEV to replace TDi. I'm hoping for the TDi hybrid plugin but one never knows. The dealer here in Florida says they are getting the new Crossblue.
Herbie the Prius, no thanks!

If I someday add another diesel vehicle to my all diesel fleet, it may be a 4WD diesel pickup truck. The diesel pickup truck market does not appear to be threatened at all and appears to be expanding.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Prediction
-The V6 lasts, in light trucks under non-"TDI" rehash branding
-PHEV replaces light-duty diesel, in the U.S. alone
-The 1.4 TDI succeeds in a European Union that continues letting the automakers rule

GM is building the CT6 PHEV (a nice big Caddy), in China. It's reasonable it won't sell in the U.S., given Cadillac's customers. This is an example how I think drive train tech is becoming localized to the markets where it will sell. VW, who doesn't fully adapt its cars for the US market in the first place, will have to skew its offerings.

This prediction doesn't weight how, even in Germany, VW sales are down 8%. It's whether the customers there, have any power over big VWG.