VW Polo with GTD2060VZ

david mihai

TDI
VW Polo
Hi, my name is David Mihai, and I have a project car which is a Polo 1.9TDI BLT with a big turbo GTD2060VZ from a 3.0 TDI engine. Thought it would be a nice thing to share since technically it's a full-blown TDI now :)

I already made 2 videos about the project on my YT channel. Maybe you would like to check it out.

The turbo I use is as follows:

https://muchboost.com/product/gtd20...ybrid-turbo-upgrade-with-1-9-2-0tdi-manifold/

Is there someone with a similar project? I was curious what kind of injectors, clutch, etc you put? I have a quite much experience, but any advice is helpful.

If you have some questions about it, feel free to ask.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Gtd2060vz is not big turbo…there are larger turbos fitted to the pd engines, out Finnish colleagues call big hino he401 turbos !
Anyway yours is a nice project, I take claims of 400 Bhp with a pinch of salt as it’s difficult to get that from single small frame turbo on 1.9 tdi engine…I know of a few Bmw 3.0d that struggled to get that power with extra 2 cyl and a whole liter of displacement ! They were on AvD turbos…

Last edited:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I am contemplating a GTD2056, the small one, for my ALH. Not looking for clutch-slipping, rod bending, head lifting torque...LOL A wee bit of lag won't leave me upset...but I would like to try driving something like it before dropping the $$ into it. Just in case the folks who have commented so far could possibly be correct...heh-heh-heh.
cheers,
Douglas

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Gtb2056vl fits great with adaptor plate or gtb1756vk also with darkside adapter plate.
Both will drive avesome !

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'd say it is a medium size turbo , 400hp would be impossible to get with that turbo

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
If you read trough the posts, Ryan at Darkside have tried all sorts of turbos and he reckons the gtd 2060vz is not the turbo he will choose and he swapped back to gtb2260vk…good old reliable turbos. The gtd spools a little bit better due to newer design and latest gen vnt mechanism but the turbine shafts are weaker than the gtb2260vk…that will support 300 Bhp stock and 350 Bhp as a hybrid…
As for your choice of remap, motion tuning software is very aggressive and hard on the drivetrain, I would choose Dragos Stancescu tunes over motion tuning maps…getting 350Bhp from the pd engines is nothing new, you just pick the right cam, turbo and injectors and presto- the results are there !

watzsr

TDI
1998 VW Jetta
My 98 TDI has 392,000 miles on it.

I purchased it from a motorhead friend who took great care of this VW, we even replaced the main belt and water pump at time of my purchase. I have replaced numerous parts throughout my 4yrs. Ownership.

The engine has slowly began to get reduced MPG and at present puts off an increasingly stronger rich exhaust smell.

I drive mostly highway miles, allow it to warm up for up to 20-30 mins during Winter months, the engine heater has never worked but no my Q.

I understand that at times, there is a exhaust gate/valve that can become clogged.

I am uncertain whether it could be this gate/valve or just time to replace the injectors.

The engine Never smokes, Almost never uses any or much oil between changes, and still runs smoothly.

I'm currently not in a position to do a injector replacement myself.

Can anyone recommend what I should do or where I could possibly take my TDI to find/figure out what may be required to get it back to top running performance other than a VW Dealer?

I thank you in advance for any help/recommendations.

Sincerely

Tim

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Even 330 350 Hp even with 2260 turbo you may be knocking on the door but you may have to go up the Ladder on these turbos to achieve that,

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Which injectors do you recommend?
Anything from firad/wuzetem +80-120% will achieve your power goal with safe durations…you can get larger nozzles up to +160% but they flow too much fuel and have poor atomization compared to smaller nozzles which can crack pistons or cyl heads…

david mihai

TDI
VW Polo
Ok, at the moment we are struggling with the engine. After we find the issue, I will consider these injectors but with WZM nozzles. I heard a lot of good feedback about WZM.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
My 98 TDI has 392,000 miles on it.

I purchased it from a motorhead friend who took great care of this VW, we even replaced the main belt and water pump at time of my purchase. I have replaced numerous parts throughout my 4yrs. Ownership.

The engine has slowly began to get reduced MPG and at present puts off an increasingly stronger rich exhaust smell.

I drive mostly highway miles, allow it to warm up for up to 20-30 mins during Winter months, the engine heater has never worked but no my Q.

I understand that at times, there is a exhaust gate/valve that can become clogged.

I am uncertain whether it could be this gate/valve or just time to replace the injectors.

The engine Never smokes, Almost never uses any or much oil between changes, and still runs smoothly.

I'm currently not in a position to do a injector replacement myself.

Can anyone recommend what I should do or where I could possibly take my TDI to find/figure out what may be required to get it back to top running performance other than a VW Dealer?

I thank you in advance for any help/recommendations.

Sincerely

Tim
You might try posting this in the correct Forum. This is not a thread related to your problem.

Denali376

TDI
06 Jetta tdi BRM 5 Speed, 06 vw Jetta tdi brm DSG
Anything from firad/wuzetem +80-120% will achieve your power goal with safe durations…you can get larger nozzles up to +160% but they flow too much fuel and have poor atomization compared to smaller nozzles which can crack pistons or cyl heads…
Been running GTD2263VZK & 160% Wuzetem nozzles for 30k without fault :unsure:

david mihai

TDI
VW Polo
Been running GTD2263VZK & 160% Wuzetem nozzles for 30k without fault :unsure:
Are you sure it is 63mm? What is the result? Which car and engine do you have?

Now I`m thinking about GTD2265VZ as follows:

It has bigger wheels than my current GTD.

altz1

Veteran Member
TDI
A8 4H 4.2TDI, Cayenne 4.2TDI, 6.0TDI
I have one GTD2263VZK that i dont need. Nearly new, 1000eur. Factory unit, not some hybrid. Can ship worldwide.