VW MKV Jetta TDI Ownership Experience

RedSoxFan

TDI
2004 Duramax, 2009 Jetta TDI
Maybe its me but every time I see a post with someone having dealer service issues, check engine lights, "Major Engine Malfunction", mexican factory blah blah blah, I think we must be the lucky ones (we own 2 TDIs - a 09 sedan and a 10 JSW) and I'm sure that we're not.

I know I'm tempting fate but here goes - in almost 9K combined total miles our TDIs have not disappointed. The cars have been rock solid reliable, no quality issues, they deliver great fuel economy, and are comfortable and fun to drive. My only contact with the dealer has been to beep the horn occassionally when I drive by. Overall the only thing we have to report is that there is nothing to report.

Who else is having a trouble free MKV TDI ownership experience (so far that is)?? We can't be the only ones.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
Yeah, we had trouble-free service with our 09 until 9000 miles, then all hell breaks loose. New cylinder head, new piston, a dealership who doesn't know how much oil to put in the car, and 2 wasted trips to the dealer because they didn't schedule our service appointments properly...don't count your chickens until after you have actually had them do the service on your cars.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
I've had a couple of little issues under warranty. But I am very happy
76K none of the major issues everyone talks about with the DSG or PD cam (04-06 only)

I believe the happy people don't speak up enough so it would appear there are a lot more issues than there really are.

My life time average is 43.9, (first 16k were all short city) I normally get 46-47MPG summer (winter kills me at -30 42ish)
Drives great, comfy,great mileage even with it all at 70+
I also tow a boat and trailer.

RedSoxFan

TDI
rix337 said:
Yeah, we had trouble-free service with our 09 until 9000 miles, then all hell breaks loose. New cylinder head, new piston, a dealership who doesn't know how much oil to put in the car, and 2 wasted trips to the dealer because they didn't schedule our service appointments properly...don't count your chickens until after you have actually had them do the service on your cars.
Jeez - you're a breath of fresh air this morning. The chickens will be counted when the game is over but so far the "good" TDI chickens are ruling the roost. I'll let you know if that changes.

BTW - I have no allusions that these cars will never have an issue - I may be crazy but I'm not stupid - we've owned many VWs and have managed to avoid the stereotypical VWOA ownership experience.

My only point is that so far the product has delivered as promised.

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Rod Bearing said:
The reason is because few people will post anything when all is well.
I'll be different - I'll post even when things aren't going well. :D (car is in the shop)

Mostly I'm simply cheesed at the dealer as it's an issue that should have been fixed BEFORE I purchased.

At first I liked my old B5.5 better, as I've driven the MKV I'm come to like it more - seating position is a bit better, better MPG, drives well................

It's a nice ride.

rix337

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I hope your's is a good experience. My 2001 TDI was trouble-free for 135,000 miles. Only engine light that came on was for a glow plug. That was awesome.

RedSoxFan

TDI
rix337 said:
I hope your's is a good experience. My 2001 TDI was trouble-free for 135,000 miles. Only engine light that came on was for a glow plug. That was awesome.
Atta boy!! Here's hoping that most of us do. :D:D:D

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Both my wife and I are happy so far with the 09 Sedan and JSW we own. We love them. Hopefully they will give us many years of use. I don't mind working on our cars when they need it and they all eventually need some type of repairs. I've always looked at that as a challenge and got satisfaction out of finishing that challenge. The 09's are great,other than the quirky "hill crest hesitation". I just can't get used to that feeling. It doesn't bother my wife.
My only complaint was with a dealership and the Regional Rep that started out with handling my wife's Jetta Sedans HPFP failure. The second dealership and second Regional Rep were a joy to work with and quickly took care of the problem. Other than that my wife and I are both 100% satisfied with our 09 Jetta's.
We previously owned a n 86 Golf tdi (230k)and a 96 Passat Wagon tdi,(214k) both gave us good dependible service. Neither of which ever had a check engine light come on. I think the newer 09/2010 models have gotten tremendously more complicated do to the electronics and emissions and are more prone to throw a code.
DWEISEL

Last edited:

res ipsa

TDI
2009 Jetta Wagon, Comfortline, DSG, Rear Airbags, ESP & Sunroof
I've got an '09 wagon, about 10k km's. Had to have the DSG flash, which was handled impeccably by the dealer - done right and faster than they had promised - but other than that, it has been a pure joy.

I love driving this car. Had previously only owned Hondas and used to rave about their ergonomics, and still think they are great. But the way this car drives, it holds the road unbelieveably well and just feels solid. Overall, very happy...........so far.....:)

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
My 09 has not only been trouble free for 23,000 miles and my dealer is very solid. Has been a great experience.:D Oh wait I take that back. I ALREADY had to replace a battery in my key FOB. Last @##$ VW I ever buy!;)

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I have over 170000miles of combined BRM non trouble miles.

I have never been stranded yet.

I have the DSG in the dealer for a DMF right now, I can get it changed so I am.

On my 5 spd, I already did my DMF(glad I did, wish i would have done it for day one.)

I have had both VC off and no need to do either of the cam's.

I paid $21,500, for my 2005.5 that is loaded with options NO longer available on the Jettas. auto-dimm rear mirror, auto lights on, auto wipe wipers. 150hp and 47mpgevery tank, I WILL take it!!!:D

DoctorDawg

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta Loyal Edition
Goin' on 33K miles with zero, I repeat ZERO issues from Day One. Made possible, in part, by the fact that I do my own routine maintenance. I couldn't complain about this car if I tried.

Of course, the whole thing will prolly go to hell in a handcart at 36,001.

grek

TDI
2009 Jetta SportWagen
Just hit 12,000mi and no issues with my 2009 JSW DSG. Had the "flash" done at my 10K service. Don't really notice any changes, but I didn't have any of the slam-bang before. The dealer seems competent, but I double checked the oil. I'm impressed with the car. It's not my first German car, but it's my first diesel. I think I'm a convert.

dave729

TDI
2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen
No problems here. Well, maybe one...

Almost 16,000 miles in 7 months, and the only complaint is the Owner's Manual is falling apart (and not through extensive use).;)

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
rix337 said:
still trouble free at 178,000 :)

dbusiness

TDI
09 Sedan, TDI, DSG, stock
I've got 10,000 miles on my 09 Jetta sedan and have not had any issues
as of yet. The DSG transmission is an automatic manual and if you utilize it like a manual tranmission on how you accelerate it seems to work great.

The dealer does overfill the motor oil when it is changed.

dayne66

Veteran Member
TDI
(TRADED)2006 Jetta TDI Package 3 (Cdn) 5 sp
I'd like to express the disappointment in my car...it's only 4 years old and I have already had to replace 2 bulbs!!

Turbine Suburban

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 6 manual Gone! V6 Mustang now.
7500 miles so far. Only valid issue so far: Drivers door seal. I have some stick on foam in the corner by my ear, and it is much quieter now, but looks like a$$.

bgarfield

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
As of now, I consider my '09 6spd manual sedan one of the best car purchases I've made (of 20). It was a bargain at $20.5, rides great, incredible mileage, tons of room, and is everything I expected. So far, I'm happy with the dealer and they seem knowledgeable based only on two oil change trips (Heritage in Maryland).
My only other VW-specific experience was with a '98(B5) Passat 1.8T. That was a great car as well, but had a lot of window/lock problems. Otherwise it was great. I only kept it to 100k.
We've had a couple of Audis and were pretty happy with them. However, we did have one bad experience with AOA when the dealer tried to blame us for a problem they created (cleaning the engine). I would never get my car serviced at them again (Francis Scott Key in Maryland).

Brian

vdubJettaTDI_2010

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
Well is this great information to hear about some positive experiences with your cars. I have only had my Jetta a few weeks, so nothing to brag about, expect great MPG's. My '97 Jetta GLI was super, ran it for years without any issues. Looking at several reviews and posts from members, the overall experience seems to be positive. Which was a reason for me to buy again.

Good luck

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
5100 miles so far.

The only problem has been a sunvisor with a faulty vanity mirror light switch.

No other problems to note.

Very happy.

05_new_jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
MKV Jetta TDI
I would definitly recommend these cars to people, esp if they drive a lot of miles! bought mine new in aug 05 and put 131k on it since, dont regret buying it and dont see myself selling it.

Osage Orange

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta *sold*
I have driven many cars in my time and these VWs are very nice and fun cars for the money. TDIs offer alot of value for the performance minded.

Orygun

TDI
'10 Jetta sedan, '11 Jetta Sportwagen
Roughly 17K miles on each '09, no problems on the JSW and a wheel bearing replaced under warranty on the sedan around 10K. Other than that they've both been great. No regrets.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
Nearing 20K on my 2009 and I still love this car. No problems so far. Every day I look for an excuse to drive it more, and long trips are a real treat now that I live in a city. Power, precision, comfort all in one vehicle. I can't imagine why there aren't diesel versions of most cars, but at least I can feel special and smart driving one of these rare and impressive machines.

abakos

Veteran Member
TDI
-----
jbright said:
Nearing 20K on my 2009 and I still love this car. No problems so far. Every day I look for an excuse to drive it more, and long trips are a real treat now that I live in a city. Power, precision, comfort all in one vehicle. I can't imagine why there aren't diesel versions of most cars, but at least I can feel special and smart driving one of these rare and impressive machines.
I've got 24k on my '06 since I bought it in april...almost 96k total. Did flywheel earlier in the year and just bought stuff for timing belt. Have done other routine stuff as well. Not sure about the state of the cam.

Paid 13.5k

Wouldn't say it's been a trouble free experience, but not terrible either. I'm used to fixing my own stuff though and enjoy it in my own twisted way, so I tend to forget that I even had trouble with something. Other people that aren't mechanically inclined will quickly recall a $2k repair bill...I just faintly recall spending $700 on parts and taking a day to learn how the critter is put together :p

Matt65

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta DSG
~64,000 miles now. No major problems. The turbo was replaced under warranty for an oil leak.

Very pleased with the car, Blue Book is still much higher than I expected after >4 years of ownership. Having some issues with the trunk latch in cold weather this year. There is a fix out there that I will eventually get around to doing.

ajlockfeld

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW DSG Pano Silver/Anth
Just clicked over 12K yesterday. I did have the DSG false neutral problem early on, had the sensor replaced (they don't do that now, just do the flash which I also had done at the 10K service). Just got my letter from VW extending the DSG warranty to 10 years/100K miles - way to take care of us, VW!

I also had the compass improper installation problem which the dealer eventually fixed (but not until I brought them a post printed out from this site detailing what to do and gave it to them):rolleyes:

I'm very glad I found this site, but it sure can make you nervous about potential problems:eek: (re which - dweisel, I'm glad you got the HPFP issue fixed; I lost track of that thread but it started out sounding like a nightmare)

There is another 09 JSW (identical except black) I see in the parking lot at my work - and yesterday we pulled in next to each other. Both of us agree that it is the best car we've ever owned! The winter mileage has been a bit of a disappointment but still about twice as good as my 05 Tacoma - and it's way more fun to drive on the highway!

Last edited:

RedSoxFan

TDI
UPDATE - Just had the 10K service done on my wife's 09 TDI. For starters the dealer put the right oil in and filled it right to the top mark on the dipstick so they clearly know how to change the oil in a TDI (they addeda windshield sticker saying that the next scheduled oil service is 15K - I think not!). Anyway, instead of rotating the tires they offered to remove the steel wheels with winter wheels and install the OEM wheels - we said sure. They brought all the tires up to the recommended pressure, wrapped the winter wheels in plastic bags, put them in the trunk and gave the car a once over "safety check". No charge for the whole experience - we are very happy. We were initially a little skeptical about the dealer but we are very pleased at this point.

Overall - zero issues with both cars and since the my JSW replaced a Subie Legacy I was concerned about not having AWD in the winter but even with the crappy OEM Hankooks the TDI was fine in the winter. Also, now that the weather is improving I'm really loving the pano roof - its amazing.

BTW - the dealer is Mitchell VW - Canton, CT. So far - so good!

RedSoxFan said:
Maybe its me but every time I see a post with someone having dealer service issues, check engine lights, "Major Engine Malfunction", mexican factory blah blah blah, I think we must be the lucky ones (we own 2 TDIs - a 09 sedan and a 10 JSW) and I'm sure that we're not.

I know I'm tempting fate but here goes - in almost 9K combined total miles our TDIs have not disappointed. The cars have been rock solid reliable, no quality issues, they deliver great fuel economy, and are comfortable and fun to drive. My only contact with the dealer has been to beep the horn occassionally when I drive by. Overall the only thing we have to report is that there is nothing to report.

Who else is having a trouble free MKV TDI ownership experience (so far that is)?? We can't be the only ones.

Last edited: