VW may be sorry, but 'rolling coal' diesel polluters make no apologies

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
What is the point of starting a thread concerning "chipped" diesel powered Truck's in the TDI Emissions discussion area ?

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Gee, I'm sorry.

TDI (Diesel) Emissions | This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Emphases added.

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
They didn't care before why would they now? I don't think VW cared either. Until caught and outed , now they are building an electric only Phaeton. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

croppz

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 DSG Jetta TDI
Meh, just a bunch of brodozers with fuel dump switches.

Run into those things everyday here. I personally hate them. But anyone who hates the prius is a friend of mine.

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
It will just bring negative attention to the tuners and aftermarket device mfg's putting them in the EPA's radar.
It's beyond me how they manage to pass the diesel emissions testing. I suppose they turn off the "fuel dumping" when on the rollers to measure opacity. Maybe they need a lockout that can only be released when at the drag strip.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably mostly in states that don't test diesels or at all. Some of the trucks have multiple tunes as well that they can change at will. Flashzilla is kind of like that for our cars. You could have a smoke out tune as well as stock and race. Change out as you please. Blasting clouds of smoke holds no interest for me, but with recent revelations it can do nothing but draw negative attention to the diesel community as a whole.

lag_lag_bye...

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI, 6M, Black - (SOLD)
^well said. I love my tuned TDI, but I'm really hating the fallout from this whole scandal, and how I'm constantly having to answer friends and family about how my car isn't "clean". It'll pass emissions in my state, yet I'm still feeling a bit of guilt from my "green" friends.

Last edited:

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
^well said. I love my tuned TDI, but I'm really hating the fallout from this whole scandal, and how I'm constantly having to answer friends and family about how my car isn't "clean". It'll pass emissions in my state, yet I'm still feeling a bit of guilt from my "green" friends.
Ask your 'green' friends what went into making the batteries for their hybrids :)

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
While I think rolling coal for its own sake is obnoxious and wasteful, I have absolutely no problem with chip tuning. I have a six position ts chip on my powerstroke that is amazing. The settings are stock, high idle, 50 hp, 75 hp, 125 hp, and 150 hp. I really never use the 150 setting, and it won't "roal coal" even when I do turn it up. On the other settings fuel economy and shifting points are substantially improved (with no visible smoke). Is this a diesel forum or a hybrid forum?

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
Same here, we just have to remain calm. It is not an easy time to be driving a diesel now. We just have to take it easy, so many aggressive people on the road now. I don't overtake anyone on the highway anymore. Stay in the right lane, drive slowly, not worth getting into a fight.

Drive conservatively, being a bulldog on the road is not appropriate at a time like this. So far I have had my car dented (could have been a coincidence), dog poop also placed on it. Hearing more horn honks around me and even a few hand gestures I ignore and that's what people do to other people, messed up.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I don't know what is up with with others but i have had no one say or do anything to me about diesel use. I have no station stories to tell either as I usually just pull in and fill and leave. I have new injectors DLC 520's coming in along with a Malone stage 2 tune. That should wake the old Beetle up some!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I don't know what is up with with others but i have had no one say or do anything to me about diesel use. I have no station stories to tell either as I usually just pull in and fill and leave.
^^^ same here. I just came back from a 1,300 mile trip to West Texas and New Mexico and no one said a word about my Passat TDI. Of course, this is the southwest and we don't have many "greenies" like the east or northwest. The anger factor is less in these parts too. Heck, we love our diesels!

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I don't know what is up with with others but i have had no one say or do anything to me about diesel use. I have no station stories to tell either as I usually just pull in and fill and leave. I have new injectors DLC 520's coming in along with a Malone stage 2 tune. That should wake the old Beetle up some!
Yup. I've not been approached by anyone, but I will say that my car gets more "looks" these days than it did before the story broke.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Same here, we just have to remain calm. It is not an easy time to be driving a diesel now. We just have to take it easy, so many aggressive people on the road now. I don't overtake anyone on the highway anymore. Stay in the right lane, drive slowly, not worth getting into a fight.
Drive conservatively, being a bulldog on the road is not appropriate at a time like this. So far I have had my car dented (could have been a coincidence), dog poop also placed on it. Hearing more horn honks around me and even a few hand gestures I ignore and that's what people do to other people, messed up.
Sounds like the worst environmentalists & NJ crazy rolled into one.

I've learned that in Maryland to keep up with the other traffic or get run off the road.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
^^^ same here. I just came back from a 1,300 mile trip to West Texas and New Mexico and no one said a word about my Passat TDI. Of course, this is the southwest and we don't have many "greenies" like the east or northwest. The anger factor is less in these parts too. Heck, we love our diesels!
We have "greenies" but for the most part we have people that simply leave others alone as long as they are treated likewise.

The guy up the street has a Tesla Roadster that he runs on 100% solar....it's pretty cool. It's not an everyday driver but he drives it when he is going to give a business presentation. He owns a company that install solar panels.

Being in WV we have our share of big chipped diesel trucks. I can go and watch the wind generator spinning at Marietta college while a paddle wheel blowing smoke out the top goes down the Ohio River.

I do like living in an area where most people leave everyone else alone.

Oilerlord

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI w/DSG. 700 Mile Club. 2008 BMW X3 "Beatrice", 2004 BMW 330Xi, 2014 Mercedes B-Class Electric
I'm posting this separately from the mega thread because it's not really about the emissions scandal from VW's own part, but it's a scandal nonetheless...
I suppose this thread is aimed at people like me (that apparently turned their cars into "smoke-spewing monsters"). Nice touch on that visual of that big evil truck killing that poor little tree-hugging Prius. I think all that you're accomplishing is adding fuel to the fire on an emissions issue that's already blown way out of proportion.

That truck must have been purposely tuned to blow smoke like that. My Malone-tuned JSW can be coaxed to puff a little smoke at wide-open throttle, but not even remotely close to what is shown in the video.

I'd hardly call the small (likely <1%) percentage of all diesel vehicles that have been tuned a "scandal".

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
Let the thought police rule my actions? Not me, not a chance. I don't care a damn what others think of what I choose to drive, or how I choose to modify it. I make no attempt to make decisions for them, all I expect in return is the same courtesy.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you are doing what the person in the video is doing then you aren't showing the same courtesy you expect from everyone else.

Riflesmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI 6M, 2015 Golf TDI 6A
None of my vehicles "roll coal". Just wasted fuel. But if they did, it is quite frankly none of your business. I do not try to control others, many here seem to either want to do that or have a government agency do it for them. That is the point.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
None of my vehicles "roll coal". Just wasted fuel. But if they did, it is quite frankly none of your business. I do not try to control others, many here seem to either want to do that or have a government agency do it for them. That is the point.
Well that really depends. You are free to do as you please until that affects others to some degree. "If" you roll coal in my face, it certainly is my business at that point. I would then pursue all options to stop you from doing that. If you roll coal in your garage with the exhaust pipe routed into the cab of your truck, that is certainly your right to do so and I wouldn't try and stop you in any way. If you aren't doing anything that affects me or mine, all the more power to you! Long live freedom!

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. - "your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins"
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. (March 8, 1841 – March 6, 1935)

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
My comments are only based on my personal experiences.

Where I live in a burb is much safer than where I work in the city (lots of crazies). The vandalism on my TDI has caused me to be a little cautious.

The hand gesture was from a Subaru, probably a disgruntled former VW owner.

The horn honks are ok, I even honk back and have a good time with it.

I'm only saying that my experiences have caused me to drive cautiously, I did not mean to suggest everyone has to do the same, motor on, speed as much as you wish.

At this point in time I have chosen to take it easy and admire the TDI in the right lane where it does 50 mpgs.

My madman driving days are rare, but every now and then I'll do a Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde on the road. :eek:

IFRCFI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
But if they did, it is quite frankly none of your business. I do not try to control others, many here seem to either want to do that or have a government agency do it for them.

We share air. Your business is my business.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I'm personally impressed with how professional diesel tuners can write a tune even on bigger diesels that will significantly improve performance/drivability with no or nearly no visible change in soot output. It just seems slightly immature to take those leaps and bounds tuners have accomplished and just throw a ton of fuel in a tune to roll coal.