VW jetta sportwagen engine recycling too much

Chocoholic

TDI
2010 VW Jetta sportwagon
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, but I read that my VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen engine was supposed to go through the 'recycle' phase (I think that's what they call it) only every 500 miles. I just had the oil changed and it seems to be recycling like every other day - should I be worried?, will that go away? Did they totally screw up my car? dohhhh
I would appreciate accurate info on this situation please-

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Hi, I'm a newbie to this forum, but I read that my VW TDI Jetta Sportwagen engine was supposed to go through the 'recycle' phase (I think that's what they call it) only every 500 miles. I just had the oil changed and it seems to be recycling like every other day - should I be worried?, will that go away? Did they totally screw up my car? dohhhh
How can you tell it is going into regen, are you monitoring temps with a gauge do you hear the fans, smell the process???

gforce1108

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 Jetta GLS BEW, 14 Audi A7 V6 TDI, 13 Porsche Cayenne V6 TDI
Over filling the oil could lead to increased oil vapor making it to the exhaust. I could see this triggering extra regens? Have you checked your level? Also - if you have been interrupting the regen, let it finish before turning off the car.

Also - you will be more responses posting in the model specific area.

jnmarshall

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta, '13 JSW
Mine seems to recycle daily and I hate that I interupt it. I commute 120 miles round trip. When I pull into my driveway and shut off the car the fans are running and there is the burning smell of wax.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
If this helps, I posted a similar concern:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=407560

Not many responses. Not sure if that's because nobody else was experiencing it, or because it was a non-issue and folks didn't comment much.

I think it's just the cold. Normally the regens should be every 500 miles or so. But with this cold winter, the car spends more time warming up, and it's running rich until it warms up. Which means more soot, which means more frequent regens.

Wait until spring (hey, it's spring today!), and see how it goes.

Also, you can get VCDS and monitor the ash levels in your DPF, to check its health. See the DPF data collection sticky thread in the Emissions forum.

Livefreeordie89

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Where did you go for an oil change? I suggest Reflex Tuning if your in the SNH area. (better than any dealer)

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Speaking of dpf regens, I think my wife might get into higher gears too soon on our 6M, thus generating excessive soot for the dpf to digest. She does a fair amount of local (non-highway speed) driving. The diesel pulls so strongly in any gear that it's hard to get a sense of what's right. Is there some sort of information as to recommended minimum RPM for each gear? Thank you.

Last edited:

South Coast Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI wagon
Speaking of dpf regens, I think my wife might get into higher gears too soon on our 6M, thus generating excessive soot for the dpf to digest. She does a fair amount of local (non-highway speed) driving. The diesel pulls so strongly in any gear that it's hard to get a sense of what's right. Is there some sort of information as to recommended minimum RPM for each gear? Thank you.
Get an automatic.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Good plan to blame the wife. let us know how that goes.

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
you want to keep it in the turbo range and give it a kick from time to time.

Max trq is at 1750rpm, so i wouldn't accelerate much below that

AlcoC420

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for the link meerschm -- good discussion there. The wife enjoys excellent fuel economy (37 city, 49 highway -- all consistent), but I'm wondering about DPF health and her tendency to cruise at 1600 RPM in city driving.

The gearbox on this car is simply fantastic -- it begs to be enjoyed. Maybe I need to drive it more often. :)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
500 miles is the maximum regeneration interval. Depending on weather and driving conditions, it could be as often as 150 miles.