VW has to be the dumbest company ever.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
VW could literally not pay me enough to buy another one of their cars.

In the early 80s (Europe) my father had a VW Polo and the water pump sh!t the bed, engine overheated and basically exploded, with young kids (incl. me) on board, 400 miles from home. 3 grand in repairs, fresh out of warranty. Next year he went out and bought another VW. Still drives a golf today, despite all the usual problems (there is a special place in hell reserved for VW's electric window switches).

Unlike him, I'm one to hold grudges. This will be my last VW, period. I figure there are enough auto brands out there to try a new one every time, for the next 30 or so years I have left on the planet. Some available today didn't even exist when I was young (Lexus, Acura, Kyundai, Kia, Tesla etc.), and you have to figure there will be more on the way. Brand loyalty is for the dinosaurs.
Lexus and Acura are not new companies. They are just rebadged Toyota's and Honda's. I have owned 3 VW's and have had zero issues with any of them. Other than changing the brakes and changing the oil and putting new wipers on I did no other work on the cars. Now don't get me started on Saab.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
have"nt received the offer in the mail yet....i guess any day now.....has anyone else received the offer??
See the "offer letter received" thread and the spread sheet on the first sticky on the forum. Yes, offers are coming in, just scheduled my buyback appointment this morning. :cool:

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen, 2016 Audi Q5 TDI
Read back, I am not in the equation. I will take my car back and take what they give and be relatively happy, not disgruntled or unhappy.

But car dealers strive hard to get customers to walk in their doors, and legacy customers are most coveted. So these very people are going to walk through their doors to turn in their cars and be paid for it.

So you have a legacy customer, inside your dealership, with guaranteed money. That's a dream situation for selling cars. But you let them walk right out with no incentive over what any unknown person can get? Like I said,

Beyond stupid. I thought these people had better business sense.
Are you familiar with the term "obnoxious ass"?

My local VW dealership has had signs taped on the windshield of every car in the showroom for months now with deep discounts in the $3000+ range.

Ridered67

TDI
2013 JSW
Daannnnnng......VW fanboys are loyal to the end! VW just pissed all over everyone of us and some guys still defend the father ship!

OP is right, VW better find a way to grab thier potential customers while they're in thier grasps! This is do or die time for Farvenhughen.

The Subaru dealer is offering a shuttle service from VW dealer to Subaru! Now that shows desire!

Ridered67

TDI
2013 JSW
Oh and $3k off MSRP is not a "deep discount". VW needs to price these things at invoice

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Oh and $3k off MSRP is not a "deep discount". VW needs to price these things at invoice
Invoice is a made up number. As there is an additional 1k off for VW owners that would be 4k off MSRP. If you are not buying a GOLF R or a Touareg you would have a hard time finding a comparable competitor at the same price.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Daannnnnng......VW fanboys are loyal to the end! VW just pissed all over everyone of us and some guys still defend the father ship!
OP is right, VW better find a way to grab thier potential customers while they're in thier grasps! This is do or die time for Farvenhughen.
The Subaru dealer is offering a shuttle service from VW dealer to Subaru! Now that shows desire!
They didn't screw us they screwed other car companies. They gave us great gas mileage with good performance at a cheap price.

All the VW's dealers are also Subaru dealers around here. What you pay extra for you Subaru you could more than pay for an uber ride.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Invoice is a made up number. As there is an additional 1k off for VW owners that would be 4k off MSRP. If you are not buying a GOLF R or a Touareg you would have a hard time finding a comparable competitor at the same price.
The only cars I would consider is a Golf R, Golf Wagon, or the new Alltrack. They are not heavily discounting any of these..

It really is weird how much money they spend on promotion trying to get consumers to walk into a dealership, and yet here we are a "loyal" group and pretty much ignored.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
The only cars I would consider is a Golf R, Golf Wagon, or the new Alltrack. They are not heavily discounting any of these..
It really is weird how much money they spend on promotion trying to get consumers to walk into a dealership, and yet here we are a "loyal" group and pretty much ignored.
I have to assume part of us being ignored is the courts decree that prevents them from specifically offering bonus incentives tied in with the buy back. It may be a fine line they're not willing to walk. I get it seems really clear to us, just give ex TDi ownders an incentive to stick around beyond what you'd give Joe Schmoe who just walked in off the street. This would, unfortunately, make it seem like there's an incentive tied in to the buy back, and it could confuse some people, especially with the dealerships, who would have no problem pushing the narrative "well, the buyback is contingent upon you buying another VW" just to get a few more sales.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI

VW didn't piss on their buyers. The pissed on the EPA in order to sell us the cars we wanted.

I applaud them for fooling the EPA. I would piss on the EPA at every opportunity.

Personally I wouldn't drive a Subaru if you bought it and handed me the car and the title.

HBarlow

Veteran Member
TDI
All of the talk about what VW and dealers are failing to do is nothing more than hot air. No one has a clue what VW dealers may do after a TDI owner turns in his car.

I expect that the smarter ones will have their ambassador standing by waiting to offer incentives after the turn in has been completed.

LogicBomb

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat
All of the talk about what VW and dealers are failing to do is nothing more than hot air. No one has a clue what VW dealers may do after a TDI owner turns in his car.

I expect that the smarter ones will have their ambassador standing by waiting to offer incentives after the turn in has been completed.

This is what I expect, and I expect there will be offers specifically for people who are walking away with a pocket full of TDI money.

NYC-TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI Free and Loving It
VW didn't piss on their buyers. The pissed on the EPA in order to sell us the cars we wanted.

I applaud them for fooling the EPA. I would piss on the EPA at every opportunity.

Personally I wouldn't drive a Subaru if you bought it and handed me the car and the title.
It wasn't the car I wanted to buy. I wanted to buy a car that conformed to environmental regulations. That's what I thought I was doing. It was VW's deception which resulted in this car purchase. And yet we STILL have people applauding, even celebrating this deception, and blaming the EPA for VW's actions.

Clearly they are comfortable being lied to. Is this situation specific or do you accept being lied to by all? Would you feel so smug if you were to suddenly find out your drinking water was contaminated by a company who was out to save a few bucks and cut corners? Would you praise the company in that situation? Would you "piss on" the EPA then or demand that they address the problem?

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60

You have a strange definition of "pissing on"

VW knowingly sold cars to END USERS that were not compliant with the existing standards they were required to meet, all the while claiming TO THE END USERS that those cars did meet the legal standards. They represented the cars as something they were not. They ADVERTISED the cars to the END USER/BUYER as something they were not. That lead buyers to purchasing vehicles that were not as promised.

That sounds like they "pissed on the buyers" to me.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
There are huge discounts on Golf Wagons. My local dealer has an SE for 23,500 for VW owners. The Alltrack is already being discounted a couple thousand dollars. Wait six months and it will even more discounted.

And we aren't being ignored we get a 1000 extra dollars off. I got my dealer card extended for another year so I am in no hurry. I have to decide between Alltrack and Golf Wagon. Seems like now Golf Wagon SE is so cheap and it has a lot of features we might go that way. So we get 28,100k for over VW currently owe around 10,500. I pay it down 500 a month. So I am thinking by the time I buy on a five year loan it would be a 100 a month for a new car. You can't beat that.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
You two are giving them more credit then they deserve.
They are the biggest car company in the world and we have people on here selling their 2014 VWs before they get the settlement and then complaining that VW sucks because it has been three weeks since the settlement and they haven't gotten their check yet.

I wonder who is the dumb one and who is the smart one.

derekmw

TDI
2010 Audi A3 TDI Premium, 2015 Tesla Model S 70
Well, the only reason we care about that (most of us anyway) are because the EPA enforces it. Hypothetically, if the EPA didn't actually enforce the rules, and we found out down the road that VW actually lied about the 'cleanness' of TDI's, I doubt anyone here would have made a big deal about it. We were all happy with our cars because of the MPG and the fact that you didn't have to sacrifice power/torque.

The only reason most of us care is because of the devaluation of the cars.

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Well, the only reason we care about that (most of us anyway) are because the EPA enforces it. Hypothetically, if the EPA didn't actually enforce the rules, and we found out down the road that VW actually lied about the 'cleanness' of TDI's, I doubt anyone here would have made a big deal about it. We were all happy with our cars because of the MPG and the fact that you didn't have to sacrifice power/torque.

The only reason most of us care is because of the devaluation of the cars.
I didn't even care because of that because I had no desire to sell the car. I am sure when Trump is in office the EPA will not be too concerned about things like this. However there is still the state of California to deal with.

Cayman

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
There are huge discounts on Golf Wagons. My local dealer has an SE for 23,500 for VW owners. The Alltrack is already being discounted a couple thousand dollars. Wait six months and it will even more discounted.
And we aren't being ignored we get a 1000 extra dollars off. I got my dealer card extended for another year so I am in no hurry. I have to decide between Alltrack and Golf Wagon. Seems like now Golf Wagon SE is so cheap and it has a lot of features we might go that way. So we get 28,100k for over VW currently owe around 10,500. I pay it down 500 a month. So I am thinking by the time I buy on a five year loan it would be a 100 a month for a new car. You can't beat that.
Here's my local dealer http://www.pignatarovw.com/

No significant discounts on the Golf Wagon, Golf R, or Alltrak. The $1000 loyalty offer is for anyone who owns a VW, gasser or diesel. I want/expect better than that as I've been jerked around by VW; you can argue I've already been compensated with the generous buyback however, if they want to keep me in the fold they better come up with something more. Otherwise I'll buy a Mazda 3 hatch or a Subaru Imprezza hatch at some point..

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

My local VW dealership has had signs taped on the windshield of every car in the showroom for months now with deep discounts in the $3000+ range.
Are you familiar with the term IQ deficient? Just kidding actually. I don't want to be personal but I can't believe how many of you missed the point here.

These discounts you mention are available to EVERYONE. I am talking about discounts available solely to tdi owners at turn-in. I have heard of none. Do I care? No. I said F these arrogant Germans and bought something else.

My point is, how can the company not offer something special to keep their current customers, when it's a perfect situation to keep them. Or at least try. Discounts available to everyone is a separate issue. It's just a dumbass thing to ignore IYAM.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat

^^^^ DING DING DING ^^^^. thank you

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
This is exactly my point. You yourself are admitting that average, everyday customers don't mean anything to them. The only ones that mean anything are the uber rich superpower stakeholders and execs and that is stupid. You're right, they don't care about the average customer that went through this and are beyond stupid to ignore the average guy that has already bought in to their company and products.
You are right, they don't care about the average tdi owners and have shown little interest in what was a loyal base of customers. Whoever made that decision is stupid. Some kind of move to encourage people to respend their check on another VW makes complete and savvy business sense.
I'm not saying that it's a nice thing to do or that we are entitled to get more. I'm saying they whiffed on a great opportunity to keep us mere peasants driving around in their vehicles and opportunity to get back some of this tdi money.
.... taking us for granted:mad:

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Are you familiar with the term IQ deficient? Just kidding actually. I don't want to be personal but I can't believe how many of you missed the point here.
These discounts you mention are available to EVERYONE. I am talking about discounts available solely to tdi owners at turn-in. I have heard of none. Do I care? No. I said F these arrogant Germans and bought something else.
My point is, how can the company not offer something special to keep their current customers, when it's a perfect situation to keep them. Or at least try. Discounts available to everyone is a separate issue. It's just a dumbass thing to ignore IYAM.
They are offering a 1000 dollar VW loyalty bonus right now. I stated that earlier. There really aren't that many VW owners in the USA. From a business standpoint it might make sense just to leave the USA market. Let Americans continue to buy under powered, poor handling cars that are overpriced.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
I have to assume part of us being ignored is the courts decree that prevents them from specifically offering bonus incentives tied in with the buy back. It may be a fine line they're not willing to walk. I get it seems really clear to us, just give ex TDi ownders an incentive to stick around beyond what you'd give Joe Schmoe who just walked in off the street. This would, unfortunately, make it seem like there's an incentive tied in to the buy back, and it could confuse some people, especially with the dealerships, who would have no problem pushing the narrative "well, the buyback is contingent upon you buying another VW" just to get a few more sales.
Yeah this may be the case. In fact, I hope it is. I'd hate to think they are this dumb to ignore us. But still, as creative as marketing folks are nowadays, I feel they could do something. I mean, if nothing else VW should have negotiated somethjng into the court case where they could offer something to keep current customers, not contingent on accepting a buyback offer. If the courts were in fact serious about looking out for the consumer, there would be nothing wrong with that.

I'm looking forward to hearing some of the first buyback experiences from people here

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Here's my local dealer http://www.pignatarovw.com/

No significant discounts on the Golf Wagon, Golf R, or Alltrak. The $1000 loyalty offer is for anyone who owns a VW, gasser or diesel. I want/expect better than that as I've been jerked around by VW; you can argue I've already been compensated with the generous buyback however, if they want to keep me in the fold they better come up with something more. Otherwise I'll buy a Mazda 3 hatch or a Subaru Imprezza hatch at some point..

My dealer is offering 2k of Alltrack. 4k off the Sportwagon SE. Shop around. It is your dealer who isn't dealing. The Golf R you aren't going to get much if any discount on. They are limited and VW probably selling them at a loss just to get press.

GSwag

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Ok the $500 cards have nothing to do with this discussion. Zilch. This happened before any of the court cases were settled. This can't be counted as an incentive to buy another VW. It was a nice gesture but I have been stuck with a car I wanted to trade for over a year now. Stuck.

What if we don't want a wagon or AllTrak ? I liked the golf R but dealers will only discount a couple hundred on a $40k car. No thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.