VW Golf Country Syncro TDI swap project

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
shortysclimbin said:
Also david what are you doing about the rest of the gauges and where are you getting the data from? Im an currently debating if I need to swap in some mk 3 items to do it... But if I can keep it stock looking why not!
The rest of the gauges? This digital gauge is going inplace of the OE water gauge, the remainder of the gauges in the OE cluster will remain the same. The engine I am using is a non-IMMO type with CE-II wiring so it is more or less plug and play on the 1990 Golf Country.

Hasenwerk

TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
TDIMeister said:
I LOVE the idea of the digital EGT gauge in the multifunction-display. Thumbs up!!

Will you install an 02C transmission or 6-speed 02M?

Someone I know is extremely envious of your project. :)
I also like the idea of seeing that my water temperature is say 89C instead of "needle in the middle"

I am using the 02C gearbox from the Rally Golf.

As my wife is looking to buy a G-wagon, I think this will be up for sale when the project is done. :(

hatemi

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A6 4F 3.0TDI
I so like that display. Could you hint where one might get those preferably in europe?

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
Fast_Forward said:
As my wife is looking to buy a G-wagon, I think this will be up for sale when the project is done. :(
You make this sound like a bad thing. :)

Although I won't have anywhere the money... man this is a sexy vehicle.

TurbinePower

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Fast_Forward said:
It isn't a plug and play thing at all - lots of mods to the gauge and to the OE instrument housing have to be done. It is an avation gauge from Czech. The issue that I am going to have to overcome is the LCD is attached to the rest of the computer via an 18 pin ribbon cable that is about 8cm long - the main computer is too big to fit inside the OE instrument cluster housing so I am going to have to piggy back it off of the back of the instument cluster housing - with luck I can find a longer ribbon cable and it won't be an issue... more photos will be available when it is done.
So the gauge needs an engine computer to function, or is my sleep-deprived brain reading that wrong?

I don't mind a little fitment work, the car I was thinking of it for is getting some pretty extreme dash work to fit an actual computer into it for logging and tuning purposes as well as media control, so if it's just fitment work that's -no- problem...

Hasenwerk

TDI
TurbinePower said:
So the gauge needs an engine computer to function, or is my sleep-deprived brain reading that wrong?

I don't mind a little fitment work, the car I was thinking of it for is getting some pretty extreme dash work to fit an actual computer into it for logging and tuning purposes as well as media control, so if it's just fitment work that's -no- problem...
I thought the original question was asking about what I was going to do with the computer, so I assumed ECU... this gauge doesn't interface with the TDI ECU at all. Basically there are two sandwhiched circuit boards that have to go somewhere, and i will be piggybacking it off the back of the Golf instrument cluster.

Speaking of computers for logging data, I am in the process of getting an older laptop going in my camper. Basically I am looking at GPS controlled mapping for my 4x4 adventures and the ablility to play movies and music as well. I am looking at building a customized version of Knoppix (Debian based Linux) so it can rapidly boot and if it dies, the file system won't be corrupted. The system will have 802.11 wireless so when the camper is in my yard I can upload / download stuff to it's hard drive. So the next trip will have fresh movies and tunes and the previous trips mapping information and video can be saved. Lots of room in a Vanagon for this, but all of this is a subject of another thread I am sure!

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Fast_Forward said:
I call first dibs! Seriously, I'm a cash-in-hand interested buyer if you ever decide to sell. :)

Hasenwerk

TDI
Tonight I spent a bit of time plastic trimming. The LCD display is just a little too wide for the original opening so was made slightly wider and the speedometer plastic inside had to be trimmed just slightly.

The almost finished cluster.

Still to do:
- Make the left edge of the opening slightly straighter
- Center and secure the LCD display
- Finish the housing for the gauge's computer

As for other mods to be done, I have to make the tachometer compatible with the signal from the TDI ECU and install a Diesel face plate with a 4500 rpm red line.

Hasenwerk

TDI
Lupin_the_3rd said:
I call first dibs! Seriously, I'm a cash-in-hand interested buyer if you ever decide to sell. :)
When the project is finished and I have driven it for a little bit to make sure it is 100% it will seriously be for sale. If you are still interested, contact me off list.

Cheers!

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
David,

Very interesting... you are using the stock gasser gauge cluster for this setup... keep us posted on what you do about the tac signal and where you get the new faceplates from. I will be needing one shortly myself.

Also, what are you doing for radiator and fans for this conversion?

Hasenwerk

TDI
shortysclimbin said:
David,

Very interesting... you are using the stock gasser gauge cluster for this setup... keep us posted on what you do about the tac signal and where you get the new faceplates from. I will be needing one shortly myself.

Also, what are you doing for radiator and fans for this conversion?
The tachometer will be the original gasser electrinics that I modify to work with the signal from the ECU. I have a Turbo Diesel Jetta face plate with the 4500 RPM red line that I will install in place of the existing face plate. Then I just connect it to the signal generator that I have and recalibrate and it will be as good as gold.

I will be using the stock radiator and rad fan for this conversion.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
FYI From what I have followed up on the input output setup of the stock unit for the radiator is on the wrong side. G60 used a scirocco rad IIRC. It will be interested to see yours if you keep the stock unit. Are you flipping it around?

Hasenwerk

TDI
shortysclimbin said:
FYI From what I have followed up on the input output setup of the stock unit for the radiator is on the wrong side. G60 used a scirocco rad IIRC. It will be interested to see yours if you keep the stock unit. Are you flipping it around?
The input of the Golf Country radiator is on the right side of the car. I am going to reuse the 1.8L hoses as the 1Z / AHU block has the hose connections in the same location.

I have some company here from Germany, so progress on everything has been quite slow at this moment. Should get a good start on things again next week.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
heres what g60 did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortysclimbin
Hello again!

I was wondering what you ended up using for Radiator and fans for your swap. That and did you have to make custom coolant tubes?

Im looking to buy a new radiator for the 1.8sohc engine (the car the swap is going into) and I want to make sure that the new Radiator fan setup I get is compatable with the swap. Thanks for the info

Regards,

kyle

ps pictures?

I used a Corrado radiator as both the inlet and outlets are on the DS of the car. I had a bunch of G60, Vr6 and Mk4 hoses to mix and match with, but did have to buy a hose from advance auto for one hose. I also had to splice two hoses to make them have the right size fitment. Lte me see if I have any pics.

These are all the radiator and water hose pics that I have
1997 Tacoma

Hasenwerk

TDI
The TDI that I am installing is a 1Z / AHU with the water output in the center of the cylinder head. The ALH pictured has the output of the cylinder head on the "end" of the head, so it would make sence to use the later style radiator with the later style motor. Essientually what I am installing would be the same water system as the 1.6TD.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
yeah the discussion of what radiator really depends upon what diezel motor 1H/1hu or ALH/BEW and also Mk2 vs corrado.

lagomorph

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 golf
awesome swap...love the country.
I'd like to get some more info on that gauge...looks like just what the bunny ordered.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Fast_Forward said:
I am looking at building a customized version of Knoppix (Debian based Linux) so it can rapidly boot and if it dies, the file system won't be corrupted.
Look into Puppy Linux. It is based on Knoppix and boots from CD. It is much smaller, only requiring a few MB of memory. I think it has plugins for wireless and such too. You may need to recompile it though.

I ran puppy linux on my NIC computers (New Internet Computer that Larry Ellison of Oracle fame backed in the late 90's) which do not have hard drives. No HD = no possible system corruption.

Neat project.

Hasenwerk

TDI
A Sunday afternoon with some time to myself for a change, so I worked a bit on the Country TDI project before I go to Germany for two weeks this Wednesday.

First order of business was to get the engine to the point where only minor wrenching would be required to make it work. This involved removing the AC compressor as the Country has no AC and this is Canada :p Removing the EGR system and installing a freshly machined G60 flywheel (from the Rallye Golf) and a VR6 clutch.

AHU with no AC

To remove the AC involves removing the V-belt pulley on the wasserpump and installing a serpentine pulley. Installing the smaller tensioner pulley from an ALH and a shorter belt. The PS pump is also given a shorter belt.

Also because I am lazy and have good contacts in Europe, I really didn't feel like installing a new hydraulic system to drive a silly clutch. So, here's the easy way to use a 02A based transmission in the place where is 020 used to be.

02A cable clutch system parts

Cable clutch system installed on a 02A

So... I think that's it for the next while. I am in Germany getting my 1992 Volkswagen LT 45 Double Cab 4x4 (that's a mouth full! :rolleyes:) to the shipping lines in Bremerhaven as well as taking in all the sites in Nuernburg, Wolfsburg, Hamburg and Bremerhaven.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Hello, David! Sounds like you'll be having a great trip! The weather is looking pretty good; yesterday it was 18 celsius in my region and not a cloud in the sky. :)

If it interests you, and your time allows, there is a Diesel museum at the MAN corporate headquarters in Augsburg, not far from Nuernberg. Along the way not far off the north-south A7 Autobahn on your drive from Hamburg to Nuernberg is a wonderful little town called Rothenburg ob der Tauber that would be a highly recommended day-visit. Near Heidelberg in the towns of Sinsheim and Speyer, respectively are two of the most stunning transportation and technology museums in the world!

If you'll be passing anywhere near Cologne or Duesseldorf in your itinerary, it would be cool if we could somehow meet up. Specifically, I'm in Aachen, about 80 km due west of Cologne.

Cheers,
Dave

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Drool....

um can we get some part numbers on those tranny parts?

And what about the new pulley on the motor I believe that is different too? Looks like you just cut off the bracket for the AC. Being in Vt I will be doing the same to my swap when I get back from Mexico.

Regards,

Kyle

PS- Have fun in Germany! I have yet to go there but do travel constantly.

Hasenwerk

TDI
shortysclimbin said:
Drool....

um can we get some part numbers on those tranny parts?

And what about the new pulley on the motor I believe that is different too? Looks like you just cut off the bracket for the AC. Being in Vt I will be doing the same to my swap when I get back from Mexico.

Regards,

Kyle

PS- Have fun in Germany! I have yet to go there but do travel constantly.
Nothing was cut from the engine mount when I removed the AC compressor. Just installed a different wasserpump pulley, slightly smaller tensioner and shorter belts.

When I get back from Germany I will be doing a revamp of my website and will be offering the non-AC parts and cable 02A parts for those who are interested.

Hasenwerk

TDI

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No TDIs Currently, I have an R36 Corrado. I've had an ALH Corrado swap, AHU Corrado swap and 2003 TDI Jetta
Fast_Forward said:
Or you can get the pulley and the correct length belt from me for $60 Canadian - for the slightly smaller pulley (so it won't rub on the wasserpump) add an additional $20. :)
after playing with G60s and running unique pulley combos/routes I've gotten used to just using a tape measure and going to Auto Zone but it sounds like you have good price.

What are you refering to about rubbing? Is the pulley you sell offset differntly then the Mk3 TDI A/C delete pulley or are you thinking I listed the 2L a/c delete pulley?

the 2L pulley is this one: ABA A/C delete pulley:

Part number: 028 121 031 E
$30 at Impex: http://www.worldimpex.com/sear...1&y=7

Hasenwerk

TDI
G60ING said:
after playing with G60s and running unique pulley combos/routes I've gotten used to just using a tape measure and going to Auto Zone but it sounds like you have good price.

What are you refering to about rubbing? Is the pulley you sell offset differntly then the Mk3 TDI A/C delete pulley or are you thinking I listed the 2L a/c delete pulley?

the 2L pulley is this one: ABA A/C delete pulley:

Part number: 028 121 031 E
$30 at Impex: http://www.worldimpex.com/sear...1&y=7
The pulley that I sell is not the 2L pulley - the pulley itself doesn't rub, it is the belt on the tensioner "corner" that will occasionally scuff the wasserpump pulley due to the "bouncing" of the tensioner if you use the OE tensioner pulley as there is only a few mm of clearance. With the slightly smaller ALH tensioner pulley there is more distance and the belt will not touch the wasserpump pulley. In Europe there are 1Z / AHU TDIs without AC but the bracket for the alternator is different (and uber expensive!) and this rubbing problem doesn't occur due to the different geometery the non-AC alternator bracket provides.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wasn't trying to accuse you of anything, I just wanted to learn the details behind the use as I could see in you pics you used the E version.

Sounds great. Thanks

tdi-mk2

TDI
Mk2 Golf 1z tdi.
Hi G60ING, just wondering about what you mentioned at the top of the page about the machining of the G60 flywheel? Is this to make it fit on your engine or have you machined some mass from it? I'm just curious as i've just bought one for my 1Z mk2 and am now wondering whether it will go straight on? Thanks. Nice project by the way.

G60ING

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdi-mk2 said:
Hi G60ING, just wondering about what you mentioned at the top of the page about the machining of the G60 flywheel? Is this to make it fit on your engine or have you machined some mass from it? I'm just curious as i've just bought one for my 1Z mk2 and am now wondering whether it will go straight on? Thanks. Nice project by the way.
I don't know what comments that I made you are reffering to. But a G60 flywheel will fit on you 1Z if you are using a 02A, 02J or 02C transmission without modification. But if you are already using the transmission/clutch/flywheel that was originally used with the 1z motor you already have the flywheel that is the same as the G60 flywheel.

tdi-mk2

TDI
Mk2 Golf 1z tdi.
Thanks for the reply, so your saying that my flywheel is the same as the G60. Doh! SO all that i need is a bigger clutch then to handle the extra power/torque of the mods??

Is the reason that everyone puts the G60 one on the later models to get rid of the dual mass one??

I thought the G60 flywheel had a bigger friction plate than the 1Z? isn't it 280mm?
anyway i've bought one now so i'll just have to sell it again. Never mind.