VW getting more diesel competition

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
GM has confirmed the new Cadillac ATS will come with a diesel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/01/08/2013-cadillac-ats-debuts-in-detroit-diesel-engine-confirmed/

"During the presentation, Reuss also confirmed that the ATS will get a diesel engine in its first life-cycle, though specific details are unavailable as of this writing. We know that GM is already working on a small diesel mill for the Cruze sedan, so the new oil-burning ATS could use a version of this engine, if not the same exact one."

GM constantly referenced both the Audi A4 and BMW 3 Series as their target with this car. With a reasonablly powerful diesel (not that crazy thing the 335d has), and priced in the $40s optioned out, this could be a car to watch. Of course, "first life-cycle" could translate into 2015 or later. Still time for VW to get a TDI A4 to the US. Of course, I'm waiting for the TDI Tiguan :D

algaediesel

TDI
mine = 2000 Jetta (500k+ kms), her's = 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hopefully this drives the domestic industry toward cars that make sense, while remaining worth driving. Maybe I'm missing something, but I have seen precious little evidence of the domestics having a real interest in truly competing with the Europeans on this front...smaller engines with turbos, lighter and at least somewhat smaller cars, diesel (let alone performance diesel), all with driving dynamics in-line with someone who thinks F1 is better than NASCAR.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Still waiting for the Cruze and Colorado diesels to show up. Along with the mazda. All pie in the sky until the rubber hits the showrooms.

What's wrong with NASCAR? Don't like turning left at 200 mph for over four hours?

Rod B

TDI
2010 Golf TDI replaced with 2018 Subaru Forester XT Ltd
I hope they design a true diesel.

Some of us remember the Oldsmobile 350 gasoline engine that GM converted to diesel. It proved to be a nightmare.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
GM has confirmed the ATS will come with a diesel.
GM has not confirmed when.
GM has not confirmed which diesel.
GM has not confirmed which markets will obtain said "confirmed diesel".

When is GM going to start selling the confirmed 4.5L Duramax in 1/2 ton pickups?

LMK that GM held a press conference to announce would be built in Tonawanda in 2009.

I'm glad I did not and do not own stock in GM.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Now the LUTZ THE PUTZ is out of the picture... it might be a possibility. :rolleyes:

Still no sign of that Chevy Cruze Diesel though, so I'm not holding my breath for a Cadillac. ;)

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
If it's for Europe, they would need a good 4-cylinder in the 180hp range to compete with the 320D and comparable cars. I guess VM Motori could design such an engine.
Most diesels in Opel models are straight Fiat engines. Maybe that would also be a possibility.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Received an ad postcard from the local Mazda dealer yesterday promoting their Sky technologies- engines and trannies. I thought that it was interesting that SKY-D was listed. Maybe there is still hope that it will appear in the near future.

mdp

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Some of us remember the Oldsmobile 350 gasoline engine that GM converted to diesel. It proved to be a nightmare.
So, you don't think they've designed a "true diesel" in the last 30 years? :rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I doubt these will be domestic engines anyway. Why reinvent the wheel when GM has diesel engines every where else?

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...

A common misconception.

The Olds LF9 5.7L V8 diesel did share the same bore and stroke as the L34 350 V8 gas engine, but the block and head design were substantially different, particularly the LF9 DX block and D3A heads which corrected earlier head-bolt design shortcomings.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
So, you don't think they've designed a "true diesel" in the last 30 years? :rolleyes:
If they were trying to design the quickest diesel motor to flood the crankcase with fuel, they won.

Everyone I know with a Duramax has had major fueling problems at one point or another.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Most likely the American Cruze diesel will have the same basic engine as the European Cruze diesel - a 1990s VM Motori design that has been updated by Daewoo.

p_ferlow

TDI
09' Jetta TDI Revo tune 6spd, 01' F250 7.3L "tuned"
The big 3 all have tons of diesels in Europe. Many of the chassis' are identical yet here they offer no diesel option, just a 3.0L V6. What a joke.

We buy horsepower and drive torque.

In Europe they buy cars by mpg ratings (or L/100kms), power is secondary. MPG is usually the first question the salesperson has to field. That's what pushes car makers there.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you're spending 3 to 4 times as much for fuel as we do here, then the mileage question becomes critical. I believe that most European countries also charge sales tax (VAT?) based on the engine size and economy.

lexa

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I believe that most European countries also charge sales tax (VAT?) based on the engine size and economy.
VAT or sales taxes are just that, they are only relative to the price.

your beleif is probably based on largerly long gone era when there were import duties based on engine size.