VW German says my 2011 Golf TDI is ok.. I think

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
VW Germany says my 2011 Golf TDI emissions are ok.. I think

Apparently VW has a link to check your German vehicle, though it's worded a little confusingly.
http://www.volkswagen.de/info
My Golf is built in Germany, not like the Jetta in Mexico.
Google translation says:
The search checks if a repair is required for your vehicle. For more information, please contact your authorized Volkswagen dealer or the customer Volkswagen.
Please note: The system only checks chassis numbers of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (except Amarok). All the vehicles, which were built in the US and Canada, can not be considered in the inquiry.
When entering my VIN, it says the following:
Dear Volkswagen customer, we would like to confirm, dass die vehicle with the Entered Vehicle Identification Number [VIN number] is not affected by the software, the nitric oxide levels (NOx) in the Test Run (NEDC) optimized.
We deeply regret did your confidence in the brand Volkswagen is currently being tested and are working hard to educate all irregularities and fully regain the trust deed so many people in US.
We will continue to inform all our customers Continuously and transparently. Should you have any questions Further, please use our contact function on this website.
Sincerely, Thomas Dental Sales and Marketing Director Germany
Now, as far as I knew, there are no VW's built in Canada.. so the translation above about "All the vehicles, which were built in the US and Canada, can not be considered in the inquiry." is a bit confusing.
But if I understand correctly, my Golf TDI is not affected by this issue.

apples12

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk5 1.9tdi Match, BMW F10 520D
Well, the below is what you get when your car IS affected...which mine is...lol. strange that yours is not, from what little I have read on this, ALL EA189 engines which is the 1.2, 1.6 and 2.0 tdi's are affected along with some of the larger displacement ones too...

Dear Volkswagen customer, we must inform, unfortunately, did the built-in diesel engine type EA189 is affected by a software in your car with the chassis number [VIN number], nitric oxide levels (NOx) in the Test Run (NEDC) optimized . We assure you, HOWEVER, did your car is technically safe and roadworthy!

We deeply regret That We have your confidence disappointed and are working hard on a technical solution. Volkswagen Assumes of course the cost of all Necessary measures and is making every effort to fully regain your confidence.

Your Volkswagen partner will be as soon as Possible to come to you in order to inform you of the Necessary Measures. If you do not have a Volkswagen dealer contact, please use our contact function on this website.

Sincerely, Thomas Dental Sales and Marketing Director Germany

1sTDI

TDI
Apparently VW has a link to check your German vehicle, though it's worded a little confusingly.

http://www.volkswagen.de/info

My Golf is built in Germany, not like the Jetta in Mexico.

Google translation says:

When entering my VIN, it says the following:

Now, as far as I knew, there are no VW's built in Canada.. so the translation above about "All the vehicles, which were built in the US and Canada, can not be considered in the inquiry." is a bit confusing.

But if I understand correctly, my Golf TDI is not affected by this issue.

I get the same result as you. I bought mine in Canada and at the time, was told my Golf was one of the ones still built in Germany.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
If there's no problem with NOx on VWs built in Germany, then why are 5 million German VWs affected?

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
That's a very good question.. only time will tell at this point.

Just drive, VW will know how to contact you... Did you import the car yourself?

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
Just drive, VW will know how to contact you... Did you import the car yourself?
Negative, I bought it from a local dealer in Edmonton. When I inquired, my salesman explained that the Golf (except the stationwagons) were still built in Germany, and Jetta and stationwagons were built in Mexico.

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Looks to me like that is for cars in the European market which have different emissions standards (less stringent) than in the US.

So using that search it knows the level of NOx from emitted from your car meets Euro emissions is does not meet North American standards and will need the fix that VW comes up with for those cars.

TDI smile

Veteran Member
Edmonton, Alberta (b4 BC - LOWER MAINLAND = Chilli
TDI
2002 TDI (ALH) with 513,000 km. First Owner and very happy... No Problems, never left us stranded on the Highway. Average useage is about between under 4 ltr. and 5 ltr. Normal longdistance travel: 4.1/100
Negative, I bought it from a local dealer in Edmonton. When I inquired, my salesman explained that the Golf (except the stationwagons) were still built in Germany, and Jetta and stationwagons were built in Mexico.

Nice to know. My TDI was put together in Brazil. The Owner of the Dealership told me all parts are from Germany and it is (was) put together in Brazil.... It's so good I'll keep it forever.... The car knows the road to Edmonton pretty good... Just got back on Monday.

gmcjetpilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI DSG Matalic Grey
Denial (sounds like a "the nile") is a not a river in Egypt.
Some people have to go through the 5 stages of grief:

Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance

I jumped straight to acceptance... the other 4 steps are pointless waste of time....

Last edited:

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Funny...Mexican VW TDI have the same German motors ...
One by t of into...
Euro emissions rules are more lax with diesel than us...think Canada matches the US rules...
So your car MIGHT be OK if you were in Europe...but your not...so it not OK...

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
2015 VW Jetta SE TDI

I only have 3k miles on my car.

I first ran a VIN report to verify where it was made.
Make (Manufacturer): Volkswagen
Model year: 2015
Manufactured in: Mexico (North America)

I went to the German site and entered my VIN and this is what came back.

Dear Volkswagen customer,

We would like to confirm that the vehicle with the entered VIN
3VWLA7AJ7FMxxxxxx is not affected by the software, the nitric oxide levels
(NOx) is optimized in factory run (NEDC).

We deeply regret that your confidence in the brand Volkswagen is currently being tested and are working hard to educate all irregularities and fully regain the trust that so many people in us.

We will continue to inform all our customers continuously and transparently. Should you have any further questions, please use our contact function on this website.

Best regards,

Thomas tooth
Sales and Marketing Director Germany

Somehow I cant believe the site after all the news reports.

bosa

TDI
Golf SW 2011 TDI comfortline
Check if your vehicle is affected.
The search checks if a repair is required for your vehicle. For more information, please contact your authorized Volkswagen dealer or the customer Volkswagen.

Please note: The system only checks chassis numbers of the Volkswagen and Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (except Amarok). All the vehicles, which were built in the US and Canada, can not be considered in the inquiry.

Please enter your vehicle identification number (VIN). You can find this front in the service manual or the bottom of the windshield.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
HOW CAN I SAY THIS ANY CLEARER, ALL 2.0 -09-15 tdiS ARE AFFECTED PERIOD. The euro testing has no effect on our issues. I would bet the euro cars probably don't pass euro standards either,but I don't know. This is particularily funny because the Germans are the big GREEN party country.

I don't care my state doesn't test emissions and won't start for a couple of thousand TDI's,so I will drive on until I get tired of the car or other issues force the sale. I assume there will be very little value at that time anyway.

goodmonkey

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI, 2011 Touareg TDI
For those who don't speak German or don't want to use a translation service, there is an English site as well, though the same info: http://info.volkswagen.com/int/en/home.html

I wonder why I get a pass on this considering the JSW was built in Mexico, unless they assume it was sold for use in Mexico (simply from country manufactured code).

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Ha ha, looks like my 1.6 is subjected for a reflash. Not going to do that! The software I have is perfect. After reflash, which I have done before EGR cooler replacement a year and a bit ago, my mileage went slightly up, engine is super smooth and intervals between regens are regulary every 600 km with my stop-and-go 10-12 km short tripping where it used to be 480 km tops with factory software.

I wouldn't suggest anyone who is concerned about the mileage and emissions components longevity do a reflash

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your vehicle is "not affected" because it's a VIN for sale in Canada, not Germany. For them your car doesn't exist. Doesn't mean it won't be part of the recall. It will.

All VW TDIs sold here meet the same emissions standards, regardless of where they were assembled.

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
I called the dealer today, and the manager assured me that my TDI was indeed affected, and I will be receiving a letter from VW once they release the software patch.

I know it's all speculation at this point, but he was pretty confident it would be just a software patch, and possibly a 8HP loss in performance from the math they did in-house.

Beyond that, he offered no other info.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That makes me laugh. The dealer has no idea. They have no info from VW. They're just making it up. My dealer said there has been speculation that Adblue systems will be added to '09-14 cars. But he's speculating, too.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
I went to the German site and entered my VIN and this is what came back...

...Somehow I cant believe the site after all the news reports.
The flaw in your logic is you went to a German site to get information in the first place. Read the EPA press release and you're done. Read the Volkswagen of America press releases and its settled. All the information has been released regarding affected vehicles so no need to keep looking it up. I don't know why people keep trying to VIN check US or Canadian VWs against the German site! Regulations for NOx, CO2, NMHC, etc are different there and its useless and pointless if the car is not being used in Germany or the EU. All the known, relevant information is out there already for US and Canadian customers. Refer to the Volkswagen of America information already provided.

Random_Vibration

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI (6MT, LP, Driver Assist)
...But if I understand correctly, my Golf TDI is not affected by this issue.
Your car is affected if you check with VW Canada. The German site is for German/EU customers and not you. They didn't set up the German site to handle North American customers because this has been made painfully obviously by regulators, VWofA and VW of Canada. If your car is a 2009-2015 VW using any version of the 2.0 TDI in the US or Canada, you are affected. Simple. The remedy may vary depending on the version of the engine you have. If doubt this, contact Transport Canada or VW Canada. Volkswagen of America and Volkswagen Of Canada exists to sell and support cars sold in these markets. That's who you deal with.

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
That makes me laugh. The dealer has no idea. They have no info from VW. They're just making it up. My dealer said there has been speculation that Adblue systems will be added to '09-14 cars. But he's speculating, too.
Yup. I've got nothing against my dealership (they've been good to deal with), but they're the last place I would go to ask questions about this issue. I have no doubt that at this point...they don't know anymore than I do.

Natz

TDI
Golf_mk4_TDi 110_AHF
Just checked my VIN at the UK VW site which mine is affected and will require a software patch.

2.0 GT 140

What baffles me is that my sister has an Audi A3 S-line TDI 140 and she pays 70% less uk road tax.
So the Audi is more eco friendly than the golf? Hmm