VW Gasser Shop in Helena, MT?

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
Does anyone have a recommendation for someone to work on a gasser NB in Helena? My mom just moved out to Helena and is having some electrical issues with her 2006 NB Turbo.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks!
Alison

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Anyone that services TDIs should be fine with that one.

What type of problem does it have?

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
The temperature gauge light: less than 15-30 seconds goes from blue to red and starts flashing.

Before she left Oregon, the sensing unit (??) was changed (not the thermostat).

Any suggestions on troubleshooting are much appreciated.

oilhammer

TDI
What is the actual temp reading via scan tool? No gauge on the NB, so we'd need to see if in fact it is actually overheating. If it is, and it is full of coolant, my money is on a broken plastic water pump impeller. Super common, especially on the higher-revving 1.8t engines.

peace_of_soul

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2012 Passat
I'll have to give her the name of shops in Helena to have it checked out. We're in Alexandria, VA, so I can't set her up on our scanner.

I'll have to let her know of your hunch. That sounds about right, since the car alternates between temperature extremes and she's a bit of a lead foot (and people wonder where I get it from . . .)

Thanks!
Alison

oilhammer

TDI
If any local TDI folks are reading this, the transverse-mounted 1.8t timing belt/water pump is no more difficult that the ALH or BEW engines, and you'll be right at home doing one.

And you'll even find that some of our excellent club vendors can get all the parts needed, and you won't need any special tools for one. You WILL want to get the 3 digit engine code for parts ordering, as there are quite a few 1.8t engines, although the 2006 NB may only have one choice.