VW Finance profiting from dirty diesels

Ursadorable

TDI
2011 Golf HL 5dr TDI
I'm sort of really surprised that VW Finance isn't getting nailed in some fashion as well, since they're profiting off this as well. Earning interest off a product not legal to sell and all.

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
I was thinking the same thing. I am wondering if there will be specific language about people who financed through VW as well as the Lease holders. It would be nice if people who financed through VW could walk away at the very least not owing anything as part of the buy back, plus getting the cash settlement.

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
So, should every bank that financed a TDI get pulled into your web? They likely had just much knowledge of the cheat as VW Finance. Why would an owner who financed through a local bank be treated differently than one who financed through VW Finance?

str1ck

TDI
2015 Sportwagen Golf TDI
So, should every bank that financed a TDI get pulled into your web? They likely had just much knowledge of the cheat as VW Finance. Why would an owner who financed through a local bank be treated differently than one who financed through VW Finance?
Because VW is being punished, your local bank had nothing to gain, and VAG / VW Finance had everything to gain.

I800C0LLECT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta & Passat
So just because it has vw in it's name it must be punished?

This is a very uninformed stance to take. It's no wonder we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of with so many skewed economic policies that line the pockets of a few in very underhanded ways.

If it made any legal sense, which is really only governed by semantics without regard to ethics these days... I'm sure the lawyers would be going after Wells Fargo(my bank) and many others.

If anybody thought it would be OK to go after vw finance it would amount to a public lynching

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
If you dig long enough in Threadzilla - you will find a story about how VW Finance was getting bit bigtime by the devaluation of the TDI's in the marketplace.

So you "bad-wishers" did get your wish, at least a little.

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
Why stop at the finance company? Why not sue your local dealer, salespeople, techs, back office employees, lunch trucks, coffee vendors,etc. after all they all benefit from your buying a TDI over a Honda?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm sort of really surprised that VW Finance isn't getting nailed in some fashion as well, since they're profiting off this as well. Earning interest off a product not legal to sell and all.
I'm missing something here. You bought a vehicle and financed it with VW Credit. You've received the car and have been legally able to drive it. What have they done wrong?

VW will most likely be fined for selling cars that did not meet emissions standards in daily operation. In addition they're compensating owners in some fashion. How does your borrowing relationship with VW Credit or another lender enter the picture?

And I thought it was us Americans who were always looking for a lawsuit. :D

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Please dont ever walk by my house. Id hate for you to stub your toe on a stone and sue the entire neighborhood.

And people wonder why we need tort reform

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I did business over the phone from Tulsa. My dealer negotiated to have a local Missouri bank finance it at 1.9% ~~ Retired the note in 4-5 months.

That bank had nothing to do with Dieselgate.

Can't punish them ~~ and if I tried to mess with them ~~ good bye my FICO

As far as VW finance CORP is concerned, they DID get a few(?) REPO cars back because some persons were under water, and just gave up.

kuklaki

TDI
2011 Audi A3 S-line//Non-TDI: 2016 Audi e-tron
The finance arm has nothing to do with the scandal. You were not forced to use VW Credit. You had the option to pay cash, finance through your own bank or credit union, etc. They knew no more about the scandal than you when you bought your TDI. It was not some massive conspiracy that anyone and everyone VW was in on. As it seems it was a few handfuls of execs at the OEM manufacturer.
To coin a phrase: Keep moving, nothing to see here.

03fan

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT
I'm hoping for a 0% financing deal on a new vw if using the buyback option.

Philpug

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone but not forgotten
VW Finance is Chase bank. VW just makes a small percentage on the transaction.

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I bought my Car from Chris Farnham.....now deceased! Do you think we should go after him? Got me exactly the car I wanted And I still love it......

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
What he means is that VW Credit is not a registered financial institution and they're acting essentially as a sales arm of whatever the underlying registered financial institution is. I can't speak for the veracity of that being Chase Bank but I can say that it's a common arrangement here in Canada.

At least in Canada, if you read the fine print of your financial agreement, somewhere in there, it will say who the underlying financial institution is.