VW Driver's Gear - Park Distance Control

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VW Driver\'s Gear - Park Distance Control

I saw that kit but decided that I wouldn't like the size of the sensors. It seemed to me that they were 28mm or something like that.

What I like about the Cobra is the sensors are only 20mm in diameter.

Maybe I'm wrong, so post some pictures of the sensors once you install them???

L

PS Here's another parking aid that looks very similar to the Cobra. It's less of course but should work ok.

Parking Aid on Ebay for $65.00 This kit only has two sensors where the Cobra has four.

SVTWEB

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup-Edition EVO 4-Motion

Hey Will... This is the Park Distance control on my BMW. It was $54,000 but you got the car included for free.....

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

I saw that kit but decided that I wouldn't like the size of the sensors. It seemed to me that they were 28mm or something like that.

What I like about the Cobra is the sensors are only 20mm in diameter.

Maybe I'm wrong, so post some pictures of the sensors once you install them???

L

PS Here's another parking aid that looks very similar to the Cobra. It's less of course but should work ok.

Parking Aid on Ebay for $65.00 This kit only has two sensors where the Cobra has four.
I saw the one on ebay but I wanted four sensors for the oem rear valance. I can make the holes a little bigger. It's not like I'm drilling into my bumper or something like that.

SVTWEB: that's pretty good. I got a laugh out of that.

Will

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

I thought that I would bring this back up since I just got mine in the main. I have to say this, My kit has two things that the others don't. The first is that I got the drill bit for the sensors so that I don't have to us the standarded drill and enlarge the hole. Second, my display isn't LED's, it's a LCD screen. I'll post some pics and intall in asap.
Will

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Will,

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to pictures.

I know that probably I should have just had the right sized drill bit, but at the time, I didn't, and cutting the bumper cover with the drill and dremel was shockingly like butter. I'm sure you experienced the same thing.

-Brian

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

Here are some pics that I just took.

Here is an overview of the parts

Here is a pic of the control box.

Here are the sensors.

Here is the display.

Here is the bit.

Here is where the box shows to mount the display.
The wires are really long, but most of them I can't cut down. The answer that everyone wants to know is YES, the instructions are in Japan. The hole size is only 22mm which is only 2mm bigger than the Cobra.
Will

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

Will, are the "barbs" that retain the sensors made of rubber? Looks like they're the same sensors as Waeco use...

If anyone else likes the idea of a digital readout, there's also the Quanan system.

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

Here is the system installed.

I used the rear valence that I bought off SVTWEB

Close up shot of the sensors

I installed the control box on the little flip out thing in the trunk above where the CD player would go.

I know it a blurry, but you get the idea. I will get it to light up then and take some pics

If the sensors are rotated, you can aim them up, down left or right. It said to locate the sensors in the same place as the other kits said, but I wanted to use the valence. I pointed them all up, and it ended up being to high to sence a regular curb. I ended up turning the two middle sensors down, and now it works all nice and everything.
Will

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

If anyone else is interested in the OEM PDC. I'm working on sourcing the OEM Rear Valance with the exhaust cut-out. Nathan Bernard is also trying to source as many parts as he is able. It should help reduce the cost of buying new.

Using the OEM system will allow a K-wire connection and trouble shooting with Vag-com.

L

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

This is what I found out about mine. If nothing is there, it doesn't do anything. If it senses something 1.8M away it will show it, but not beep. As you back up, it will start to beep, but not a Beep, Beep, Beep, it's more of a pattern. as you get closer, the pattern changes and the LCD screen starts to light up. When you are less than .5M away, it's not a solid tone, it just beeps realy fast and flashes NO. It will also detect a regular curb in a parking lot. One of those little ones that is really small but you can't drive up to because the car sit's to low. It will also show if you are at an angle to the curb with the LCD screen. That's about it.
Will

harmattan84

hey tongsli,
Where did you get your bumper with the headlight washing system?! or did you have to install it yourself?
thanks