VW Driver's Gear - Park Distance Control

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
VW Driver\'s Gear - Park Distance Control

I didn't buy this because I'm installing the OEM PDC. I also didn't take these pictures so I haven't actually SEEN this kit in person. I just wanted to pass this information along in case someone out there is willing to give it a shot.

A few oberservations:

1. The instructions don't look very detailed, can't tell because I'd need to see them in person.

2. Not sure how the wiring harness interfaces with the car. I know how the OEM wiring is supposed to go, but not this kit.

3. The PDC box looks similar in size to the OEM PDC box. So does the warning speaker/buzzer

4. The instructions show 45cm to 55cm from the gound to the center of the sensors. 55cm would place them in the middle of the rear bumper rub strip. I think this is a good thing. I'd much rather drill the rub strip than the bumper

5.I don't know how large the sensors are, but they don't look too large. I also can't tell if the sensors can be painted to match your car color.

6. I don't remember the price.

Lito

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS

<disclaimer> The whining sound you hear is not your turbo, it's just me </disclaimer>
Hmmm, another case of technology trying to replace common sense and ability. Call me a dinosaur but... I have absolutely no need for these kinds of devices. I'll shut up now...

Tailchaser

TDI
Black '03 Jetta

I'm not going to rush out to pick these up, since I can actually see to back the Jetta Wagon so far...

But... I hate backing. Hate it. Despise it. They're great on full-size trucks. Wouldn't have one without them.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I'm getting my hands on this kit so that I can look through the installation.

I will post some more detailed pictures as well.

L

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

Lito,
When you get the kit, see if the sensors will fit the rear valence that I got for SVTWEB that already has the holes for the sensors.
Will

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I'm getting it tomorrow. I doubt they will fit Will. They look totally different.

Also, this kit's instructions show the location of the sensors to be 45-55cm from the ground. The Valance you got has the holes too low.

You're a bit committed to the OEM version. Those sensors are $85.00-$90.00 EACH

L

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI

Don't think the height itself is too critical, but the aiming is. 3- Series coupes (and some others) have the sensors right at the bottom of the valance, and they are pointed UP slightly. Remember that the ultrasonic beam is cone- shaped (on some, the top and bottom are sliced off to form a fan)

I'd reckon if you can get aftermarket sensors that'll fill the holes, go for it!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Well,

I can tell you for sure tonight as I'm getting my hands on the VW driver gear kit AND the OEM sensors.

L

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Okay, so Lito's a bad influence. It's all his fault, but I decided to be the guinea pig to try out this aftermarket PDC package. It's also all his fault that I photodocumented it all. So, let's cut to the chase. Here's the final installation:

Since I had never taken my bumper off before, I thought it'd be good to figure it out and photograph it. Here's how the install goes:

1. I taped off vaguely where the sensors should go and put the tape at 45 and 55 cm from the ground, which is as the instructions indicate:

The kit comes with a little "bullseye" to guide where to drill which I taped in the correct location next. As you see, I chose to install the sensors at 51 cm above the ground.

Then I spaced out the bullseyes according to the instructions, and I used the center of the Maryland state flag thingy on my license plate as a center line.

2. Now you have to take off the bumper. Start by removing the rear wheels and removing the three lowest screws in the fender liner on both sides:

Next you have to remove the taillights since there are screws holding in the bumper under them. In the Golf, the right-hand taillight is held in by three nuts and a stud as shown below. On the left-hand side, it's only two nuts and a stud. (Be careful not to break off the stud as I did on the other side!
)

There are four large torx screws holding in the bumper cover --- two under the taillights, and two under the bumper. Remove them:

In the Golf (and apparently NOT in the Jetta), there are two plastic rivet things holding in the bumper cover located here:

Remove them by pushing DOWN on the CENTER of the rivet, pushing out the little post in the middle. (I mangled mine so that you could learn from this information)

3. Now the fun comes! Measure once and drill twice? I forget. I think it's measure twice, drill once. Yeah, that's it. Okay, so you have four holes to drill. Measure 8 times. I mean it! The bullseye has instructions to drill a small hole right at the top of the big hole. That's because there's a guide ridge on the top of the sensor so that it can only be oriented in one direction.

4. Push the sensors into the holes and use a flathead screwdriver to pull back the tabs on the other side of the bumper cover so that the sensors will be very likely to stay in. Here's what the sensors look like, installed:

5. The wire connectors that hook onto the back of the sensors have a rubber housing to keep out water. It's a nice design:

6. I routed the wires through a grommet on the right side:

They plug very simply into the control module on the inside of the trunk, and so does the buzzer.

7. The wiring is described below in the picture. The brown wire in the wiring harness for the right taillight is ground, and the black with blue stripe is the hot lead for the backup light. That's the hot lead that powers the control module. Connect black-with-blue-stripe to the red wire for the control module and connect the brown one to the black wire for the control module.

8. Then, you put your car 50 cm from a wall, and according to the instructions, wait for a solid tone from the beeper. At this point, turn off the car, and cut the blue wire in the harness.

9. At this point, the installation is complete, once you've found a good place to mount the beeper and the control module. (I haven't yet.) Here's the finished product:

(The scratches on the bumper are from other drivers who have artistically "decorated" my bumper with their bumpers. They are NOT a result of the installation.)

10. After the first test of the product, I backed up to another car's bumper. It beeps faster and faster until it reaches a solid tone. At this point, the bumpers were this far apart:

11. I also tested it by backing up against a curb. Here is the result at the point that the tone was solid:

The sensors do detect the curb, and the beeps get faster and faster as you back up. As you get very close to the curb, it may or may not become solid, probably because it's a curb and not a wall or a bumper. But I was surprised that this setup works with curbs at all in the first place. It's really pretty good.

More later after I've had a chance to test it a little more.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Will,

This aftermarket PDC WILL NOT WORK WITH YOUR VALANCE. They are not designed to fit into those holes.

Read Brian's post above.

That being said, the sensors for the OEM PDC are $85.00 each. You need (4) of them, plust the controller, buzzer, wiring housing, repair wires, etc, ect.

I think you can do the math.

This PDC is worth every penny, and is less than buying (4) of the OEM sensors.

I'd give serious consideration to this Kit.

Lito

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

A few more details about this aftermarket PDC system:

You have the ability to paint the sensors. If you look at the first pic I posted, the little round rings in the bag are for masking the sensor while you paint them.

The instructions show to put the plastic rings on top of the sensors, and with them in the cardboard holder, spray with the corresponding paint color.

I think with dark cars, you don't need to paint them. With the lighter cars, paint is probably a must. Chris K, are you getting this???

Brian didn't have to solder anything. Two wire splices, calibration and he's good to go.

Lito

Kennedy

Veteran Member

Lito,
Hmmm,
We should talk. I'm on the fence of which one to get, this one or oem. Whatcha think?
Maybe Will will want to go this route and sell me his oem valance...

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

The instructions that came with the kit describe how to paint them according to your color code. I decided that with the dark green car, the black sensors are almost unnoticeable anyway, and they look pretty good, really. If I had a white or silver car, I'd paint them, as Lito says. I see no reason why you couldn't paint them carefully after they're on the car, BTW. It's easier before they're on the car, though.

I soldered the two wires that I spliced into the ground and backup light hot lead. With the appropriate quick scotch connector, you probably need not solder anything. I chose not to use the scotch connectors because the wires in the car are a lower gauge than the wires that came with the kit, and I was worried one would be severed or come loose. I just scratched the insulation back and soldered them together.

One thing I'll point out also is that this kit requires no extra wire. All the wires are plenty long to do whatever you need.

For the moment, the control module and beeper are wedged under the lip against the right-hand wall in the trunk. It is plenty loud enough to hear.

I'm very anxious to compare and contrast this kit with the OEM one. The first thing I can say is that the OEM sensors seem much more substantial than the ones provided in this kit. They also have three wires rather than just two, which indicates to me that they are probably powered, where the ones in this kit are not. I really have no idea how the two compare in terms of general operation.

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

what size are the holes that you have to drill.
The holes are supposed to be 20mm, which are slightly larger than 3/4". I used a 3/4" spade bit and a dremel to slightly enlarge the holes until the sensors fit snugly.

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

The holes in the OEM one are just over 5\8 of an inch, which is pretty close. The only thing would be, would the sensor work of the valance. I know that it says 53" or whatever, but will they work.

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Will, I can't answer your question. You're in uncharted territory. Let us know what you find if you choose to go that route.

Good luck.

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

Strretch
Can you get someone with you to take an object and put it below your sensors to see how far down the sensors sence. To see if you really have to mount them that high or if you can mount them lower.
Will

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Let's be logical about this. I was reliably told that the OEM sensors are located at 34 cm from the ground. Let's do a little math. My sensors are at 51 cm from the ground, which means the difference is 17 cm. 17 cm is about 6.5 inches. That means that if my sensors were to be located where the OEM ones are and still not detect the road as an "obstacle", I should be able to back my car up to a 6.5" curb and have it not detect the curb. As you could see from my pictures, my car does in fact detect the curb that is LESS than 6.5".

The truth is that I can't tell you how the sensors would react in the OEM valance. But, based on the above, I can guess.

-Brian

will360655

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Passat

My thing is, if they senses stuff to low, then the computer would think that you are close to something when you are really just close to the ground under the car.
Will

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Chris,

Will's Valance doesn't have the cut-out for the exhaust, so you wouldn't want it.

Chris, here are some numbers:

1. OEM Valance with exhaust cut-out and PDC brackets $50.00 and you'd have to source from Europe or the UK.
2.(4) Sensors $340.00
3.(1) PDC control bix $165.00ish
4.(1) Buzzer - cheap, can't remember
5. (2)housings $10.00
6. (7) repair wires at $13.65 000 979 003
7. (10) repair wires at $20.00 000 979 131
8. (1) Grommet $1.81
9. (4) Connectors $9.20
10. (12) wiring seals $10.44
11. 18 ga. wire

Total: $620.00ish

L

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Never mind OEM, has anyone experience of the microwave systems- I like the sound of no drilling. Do they work as well as advertised? Is it as simple as putting the self- adhesive tape behind the bumper? web page

strretch

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI

Interesting question. I don't know about the microwave ones, but the install seems easy from what that page says.

By the way, the "Parkmaster" on that web page is EXACTLY what I installed, at a much lower price (GBP 99). I couldn't tell if they ship to N. America, but if they do, that might be a better place to order from. At a well-known VW parts distributor, the Parkmaster has VW part number 000 054 630 A and is about US$300. (If you buy from vwdrivergear.com, it's US$564!! Ouch!!)

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I did the rounds of some of my local wholesale motor factors today, and there's a couple of options at sensible money over here. Maybe a group buy could be set up over there and a batch could be sent over? Shipping wouldn't be much more for ten as for one...
Here's a for instance from Waeco (you might try their US distributors directly?) reversing sensors
the MWE-800-4 would cost a bit under £100 here, and it has a nice neat little display too.