VW DriverGear Exhaust tips for TDI

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
The VW DriverGear site lists stainless steel exhuast tips for the TDI models. Has anybody used them yet? How do they look on the car? Aside from the possibility of sooting the bumper, do they install/fit well?

Thanks

Dave

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Thanks for the reply, If you have the time could you post a picture of the tips before the install and a picture of how the attach to the original exhaust pipes?

Dave

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I have them on my 2000 beetle and never have had to wash any soot off my bumper. they look pretty awesome as well.

and with the silver, I would notice for sure.

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
Well the exhaust tip is installed.... The tips look great, but it hangs too low and really looks ghetto.. I think I am gonna dump it.. I will post pics as soon as I get the software to upload them..

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
I purchased the TDI Exhaust tips from http://volkswagen.autowebaccessories.com

I emailed them with the VW part number for the tips and they me a price for 80.44, a little less than the Driver Gear site.

I just received them yesterday. I have to admit that I dont know if i will keep them. The tips look too big. I am going to install them and post some pictures.

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Well, I guess the tips are getting returned.

I cant get to them slip on the turn down pipes far enough so the tips fit level.

Even if I could they are too far below the bumper. They don't add anything to the look of the car. Worse yet, I have to agree with a previous post that they look ghetto...I didn't want anything that looks like a fart can on the back of the car.

Oh Well, I get to test another internet vendor's return policy!

Anybody still want pictures?

JWaltersTDI

Veteran Member
They probably dont fit cause they sold you the wrong one. The dealer did that to me. Once I had the right one it fit fine. O think they would look really good if they didnt hang so low, or if I had possibly an aftermarket rear valence. I still dont have pics yet..

dschultz

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon
Do you have the part number for your exhaust tips?

According to the VW Driver Catalog the TDI specific part number is:

ZVW806005

aw

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 silver Golf GLS
Is there really any difference between the TDI tips and the gasser tips? I was using the gasser tips until I got sprint520s and rc2. The dealer had the gasser tips in stock (back before TDI tips existed) and I did a test fit in the parking lot before I purchased them. They seemed to fit fine, no exhaust restrictions, so I got 'em. This was for an '03 Golf. Now that I've got a little more soot potential, they get dirtier faster and I prefer to direct the exhaust down to be a little more subtle. The only improvement I can imagine them doing on the TDI tips is something to prevent them from getting soot'd as quickly.

bjwhite41

TDI
'05 TDI Golf
03BeigeGolfTDI said:
i'm thinking about getting the vw tips - can someone post a pic of them on a golf (no bumper cutout)? Thanks.
I also have a beige golf. I'll get the pic as soon as I can, hopefully tomorrow. I purchased them and put them on.....two downsides:

1. Be prepared to clean then constantly. At least twice a week, if not more;

2. Be prepared to be cleaning a little more soot off of the back of the car.

Brian

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
Just a suggestion but if you're looking for an exhaust tip that looks nice and doesn't hang too low, why not save the cash you'd spend on the Driver's Gear muffler, buy a rear valance with an exhaust cutout (from a 1.8t) that fits your car and do a mufflerectomy (straightpipe/no muffler/nice exhaust tips) for a lot less. Just a thought.

Older pics of my mufflerectomy:

Tim Birney

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 TDI
Ed's TDI said:
Just a suggestion but if you're looking for an exhaust tip that looks nice and doesn't hang too low, why not save the cash you'd spend on the Driver's Gear muffler, buy a rear valance with an exhaust cutout (from a 1.8t) that fits your car and do a mufflerectomy (straightpipe/no muffler/nice exhaust tips) for a lot less. Just a thought.

Older pics of my mufflerectomy:

Excellent!