vw diesel into a mazda rx7

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I think a convertible FC is close to 3000lbs. or so. It was quite heavy for a NA 13B. I have one with a 13B sans water jacket seals, so it needs an engine. I did like driving FCs, but I have to admit, I prefer my Jetta. I wonder what it would be like with some RWD power. A RX7 with a 225HP TDI should make the car relatively quick, but it's certainly no 13B turbo.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I made a new water pump pulley since I dint have the space under the motor to use the p/s pulley. The title says 3000 lbs but Ive had them wrong before. the first stock 13b turbos made 186hp if I recall. A 225hp tdi would be the ticket plus you'd get 40+ mpg.

Rez, I checked my pms. I will call you when time permits

lewis

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
You didn't by chance make a blue print of the adapter you made?

Looking to do the same thing, and this would be a great head start

Greenphantom

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
I am curious as to why you sold it right after you got it finished? Also why would you want to do a Kubota diesel car project vs maybe a smaller more efficient VW turbo diesel or maybe even a 800cc direct injection Smart CDI which can be had on EBAY for under $1400.00?

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I did the swap because some on this forum said it couldn't be done. The aaz motor was noisy. Tdi engine would have been the better route. Once I had it up and running I removed the aaz reinstalled the rotary and sold the car and the aaz

Greenphantom

Veteran Member
TDI
NA
Yes I agree the TDI would have been the way to go. I applaud you for getting the conversion complete. I am surprised nobody offered to purchase the car with the diesel engine installed and pure individuality. That was the only Turbo Diesel RX7 I have ever heard of :)

GP