vw diesel into a mazda rx7

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Dont know how to link the pics. they're in a album on this site under lews930.

take it easy. Just got back from the local exhaust shop having the down pipe mated to the rx7 exhaust. not pretty but it'll work. after lunch work will commence on the fuel pump issues

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I'm waiting for a boot to connect the turbo to the intake manifold. The car is up and running but that boot is a must have! I should have the video on Youtube by end of the month.

I completed the project to say I did it. After buying my 96 Passat I lost interest big time. A/C, power windows and door locks, etc,...

The convertible is fun but a/c is king in Florida. I also think that VW installs tons of insulation in their cars to offset the diesel sound. the RX7 has zilch for sound reduction so it's quite LOUD!

I'll update the thread when I load the video to youtube

lewis

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
Lots of diesel noise comes from the air intake...if plumbing is not hooked up from turbo. Hopefully when you get that hooked up it will quiet down.

Injection timing affects the noise alot too. Early=loud.

Radiator hoses with their crazy bends often can be cut and fit with muffler pipe reducers to get you a temporary connection.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok, I finally drove it and boy is it slow! Loud as hell too. I need to get a video cable to upload the video to Youtube.

Thanks to everyone for their help and words of encouragment as well as to the nay sayers. Had it not been for those last few I probably wouldnt have finished it. After aquiring my Passat my interest faded quickly but I continued so as to not be another unfinished swap.

I'll have video uploaded in a day or two

thanks

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
nice, now everything is like this this it's very little effort to swap in a ALH ;)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Good Job. How slow is slow? I've driven some auto RX-8's rotarys that are way slower than a lot of stock TDI's. I look forward to some videos :) .

Jon

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
A stock RX-8 would stomp on a stock TDI.

Chip the TDI in the 7. :) Lets see the video!!!

I'm in the middle of a 20b swap in my FD. :)

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
jjordan11 said:
Good Job. How slow is slow? I've driven some auto RX-8's rotarys that are way slower than a lot of stock TDI's. I look forward to some videos :) .

Jon
rx-8 slower than a stock tdi? maybe if you shift at 3500rpm, if you keep the revs above 6000 it really isn't that slow ;)

Also have most of the parts for 20B swap.. gonna make it dry sump and put engine as low and far to the back as possible, with automatic ring&pinion and hks 5speed seq box, will by damn nice when it will be ready;)

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
rez311 said:
A stock RX-8 would stomp on a stock TDI.

Chip the TDI in the 7. :) Lets see the video!!!

I'm in the middle of a 20b swap in my FD. :)
No way, have you ever driven an automatic RX-8? If you have you wouldn't have said your statement... :D Maybe against a stock auto tdi, maybe yeah, the auto RX-8 would probably win. Maybe I'm bias towards the TDI due to the fact that I have to drive a lot of very sick (as in only running on one rotor) RX-8's, I've had to do 6 renisis motors over the last 5 months.

Don't get me wrong, the rotary has way more potential for power and conceptually is awesome, but the automatic 212 hp rated renisis motor is dog slow!!!! Once they get up into their power band they aren't too bad, but still nothing compaired to a good running stock TDI.
Ruben are you going to have the oil injection separate from the motor oil and running 2-stroke oil? I've heard that this is a good way to do the oil system.
Sorry to take it off topic.

jon

Last edited:

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I'm just going to run premix..

I was talking about manual rx8, never driven auto one, manual hi power version definatly eats any stock 1.9/2.0tdi, it might not feel like that as it has no torque at all but if you do 0-200 you'll see..

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
Rub87 said:
I'm just going to run premix..

I was talking about manual rx8, never driven auto one, manual hi power version definatly eats any stock 1.9/2.0tdi, it might not feel like that as it has no torque at all but if you do 0-200 you'll see..
Agreed 100% Manual high power would tear up even many chipped TDI's the gearing is so much better.

Jon

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
You have to be an idiot to buy an automatic rotary.

Seriously. A stock RX-8 is a touch slower than a S2000. The TDI is nowhere near a S2000 in acceleration. The RX-8 WILL ALWAYS stomp on a TDI.

My little brother has a RX-8 and my 17/22 chipped isn't fast enough. My FD however crushes both of them. :p

You're building a 20b Rub? Sweet! What turbo are you going with?

Here's mine.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Not yet sure on the turbo, was thinking to built the engine first and use stock twin turbos to break it in.. I don't need 1000hp, rather have something that's still nice to dirve down low, so something equivalnt to a gt40r or so..

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
Wow that is a nice engine , what kind of $$$ does it take to get one of those going ??? that turbo looks like a few $$$$ .........

Who builds those three rotor blocks , Mazda or an aftermarket builder ??? Are they off the shelf units or all special builds ???
Are they 3 off the shelf 12a , 13b or ?? individual rotors tied together ?? What is the 20R displacement , 105 ( 1.8L )or 120 ( 1.95L~2.0L ) or ??? cubic inch??
I've seen diagrams of this engine but never actually laid hands on one .

Is it hard to get a three rotor unit to fit in a Rx 7 or 8 body ??

I've been out of the rotary engine game for years now but they still look like a lot of fun to play with .
I really miss my Rx 2s , 3s & 4s sometimes ....
I even had one of the original R100s for a little while along with one of the rare Rx5s in the early 80s .
One of those Rx3sp bodies would be cool with a 20R under the hood .

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
rez311 do you have a build thread on a rotary forum? That's something I'd like to follow. And yes I agree that you'd have to be an idiot to buy an automatic rotary. Just for clarification I should have said a stock automatic RX-8 :). Rotary kid the 20b stands for the displacement. 13b=1.3L 20b=2.0L Rez311 could probably answer the block question better than me, but I think that you only need the eccentric shaft to have three rotor places. The 787b race car had a 4 rotor engine and was very fast (there are other 4 rotor cars out there too, but the 787b is a well known one).

Jon

Last edited:

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
You transformed a sport car in to a tractor to save fuel cost for your commute. So to get something, you have to sacrifice something. I read that it is noisy. See if you can put some padding, including belly pan. To decrease slowless, see if you can put another small turbo in sequence, just like in BMW 335d.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok, Ive made the video but I cant figure out the windows movie maker to get the freakin video to the computer. anyone know how? I know, what an idiot.

help

Gearhead51

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Rotarykid,

A 20b is a factory Mazda engine in Japan. It came in the Cosmo. I always wanted to toss one into my '88 convertible. I loved my Mazdas, but they just cost too much to run... and I already have too many cars, so I can't justify it. I still have a '85 SE with a 50hp N2O shot. It gave the car a little bit of giddy up. I have a friend with a Gotham Racing built '93 for sale. I think it's around 450hp @ the wheels with full suspension upgrades. If I was going to buy a car instead of a house, that would be MINE!

I do like this thread, as I love the way my RX7s handled, and I love my diesels.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
I'd make a build thread, but completion date is behind by a few years. :)
I should be done in February. I sold my FC, and now putting it into a FD I picked up for 4k running.

Lets see some diesel action in that FC.

rez311

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 TDI White
Wow dope. That must be fun to drive @ 50 +MPG. lol

Congrats on finishing it up. Where are you going to get the tach input from? lol.

For oil press and engine temp you can probably convert the mazda sensors to work. That's now a FUN daily driver with no overheating problems!

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I used the mazda sensors for the oil press and water temp. fuel gauge worked by itself. the tach is a different story.

thanks for the support

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Did you say in the video that you didn't have the alt belt on?
I hope I heard wrong since it runs the water pump...

Great projekt though, how much does a rx7 weigh?