vw diesel into a mazda rx7

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
The Vue has an electric motor driving the PS directly with no pump, I don't know of any GM's with electric pumps, fords and some others yes.

Frankendiesel said:
On the note of PS options...has anyone looked into adapting an electric PS pump from, say, a Saturn Vue? I believe GM even turns it off at highway speed = more efficiency. Haven't priced one yet though. You can remote mount the little turkey pert'near anywhere you want (trunk?) just need a custom hose set to adapt up to the Mazda rack.

Travis

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok VW guys. Were there any 1.9td's that didnt have power steering and if so, how is tension applied to the water pump belt? as explained earlier, the p/s pump/pulley is hitting the steering rack in the mazda. The simplest thing to do would be to remove the p/s pump. If I have to use the p/s pump for belt tension can I run regular power steering fluid in it ie tranny fluid? I am waiting for the answer to decide my next move. Are we allowed to post pics with these threads?

thanks
lewis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
yes :D

Don't know for idi's, but for tdi's the waterpump is driven by the flat belt with cars without airco, so maybe you can go this route<..

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok I give up. I did some more test fitting today with a friend and we both came to the conclusion that the only way the VW motor will fit into the chassis is remove the a/c compressor, cut and weld the oil pan to new shape and put idler pulley for the water pump. The a/c has special concern becuse it is part of the timing set up. Even with all these things taken care of the motor still sits to high in the car. I would have to put a cowl hood on the car to clear the intake horn. UNLESS. I hear mention of a low mount turbo. On this setup where is the intake opening at, top or side? If it is on the side I might be able to just cut some of the supports off the bottom of the hood.

Do the non a/c cars have a pulley in the same location as the compressor or is it some where else?

At this point it seems like I'm beating my head into a wall. I appreicate all the help I've gotten so far but unless a miracle happens soon I think my project is dead

lewis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Just use a tdi without airco, turbo is at the bottom, pulleys are fine, use a SDI manifold from a golf mk3 and cut the bend and weld it upside down, problems solved.. think out of the box, the TD engines are scrap anyway.. (unless heavily modded)

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Can get a low mount turbo/intake for the td? I would like to think that the bolt holes in the head havent changed but who knows?

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
what is pnp? I would need it to go 30* to the passenger side of the car to work. I would like to have a/c and it hits the steering box at current. if I remove it and modify or geta different intake it will be a close fit

lewis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Turbo is no problem, its close to the block, look for pics of a AHU engine..

When you tilt to passenger site there is nor problem for AC, oil pan need to be custom anyway..

Intake manifold will be challenge..

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
lews930 said:
.... I would like to have a/c and it hits the steering box at current. if I remove it and modify or geta different intake it will be a close fit

lewis
Seems canting the engine might be the right idea. The stock application (at least my B4) has it canted.

There probably would end up being room somewhere around the engine to relocate and drive an AC compressor. I'd put that on the backburner for now to get it running/driving on the bare necessities first and just consider the volume envelope of where the compressor could fit.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Lew:

The AC has nothing to do with timing, so don't sweat that at all. As you can see, there are MANY variations available with this engine, and you need to look at all of them. Most of all, the NA was installed at 50 over in the back of Vanagons (T3), so there are a lot more options than just the cars.

Sorry can't be of more help, travelling in middle of nowhere (again), not around my shop.

Pat

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
anyone know what the max amount of tilt I can put the motor at? If I tilt it toward the passenger side the a/c compressor will clear the steering box. There are also some bolt holes on the front passenger side of the motor that I can use to install an idler pulley for the water pump belt. Also, if I tilt the motor I wont need to use a different turbo/manifold setup. The motor needs about 3.5 inches to clear the hood and I think by tilting it I can make up that 3.5. Thanks for the infusion of ideas and the pep talk

lewis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Here you see some pics of belt and height comparison I just made..

Sorry for the bad quality, on the last pic, top of picture is top of the wood..

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
The VW motor is 1.5 inches taller than the Mazda engine but the peripherals are located lower on the VW motor. I see the wter pump on that motor has a serpentine pulley and no a/c. My water pump has a V belt running it and the p/s pump which I have since removed. I dont need p/s but a/c is essential in Florida. Moving the compressor should be easy but I think rotating the motor over 30* or so should allow the a/c compressor to saty in its factory location.

nice wankel:)

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
lews930 said:
The VW motor is 1.5 inches taller than the Mazda engine but the peripherals are located lower on the VW motor. I see the water pump on that motor has a serpentine pulley and no a/c. My water pump has a V belt running it and the p/s pump which I have since removed. I don't need p/s but a/c is essential in Florida. Moving the compressor should be easy but I think rotating the motor over 30* or so should allow the a/c compressor to stay in its factory location.

nice wankel:)
If you could find a Quantum or a 4000 from the 80s gas or diesel it would have the setup you need to do this , pulleys & brackets . And you block already is drilled for this stuff to work .

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Could you move the engine FWD, it may not be possible but what I'm thinking is with no PS pump the rest of the accessory belts could sit in front of the steering rack.

An easy solution to the water pump belt, is that V belts are available in practicly any length, measure between water pump and drive pully with a string and get a belt with the exact length (they can be ordered), it goes on by taking off a pulley, it sounds mickey mouse but this works especially for something like a water pump with very low drag. Its very common to do this with rx7's when removing the air pump, that is a belt between the E shaft pulley and water pump, which is non adjustable, works like a charm.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
lews930 said:
anyone know what the max amount of tilt I can put the motor at? If I tilt it toward the passenger side the a/c compressor will clear the steering box. There are also some bolt holes on the front passenger side of the motor that I can use to install an idler pulley for the water pump belt. Also, if I tilt the motor I wont need to use a different turbo/manifold setup. The motor needs about 3.5 inches to clear the hood and I think by tilting it I can make up that 3.5. Thanks for the infusion of ideas and the pep talk

lewis
Lew:

As I said about the T3 installations: there is an oil pan and pump/pickup hardware to bolt your engine in at 50 degrees from vertical. Check out the brickyard or the 80-90 club for bits and pieces.

Pat

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
!2mpg, I cant move it forward. the sway bar is in front of the steering rack and a little higher too.
the small belt around the water pump/crank is a good idea.

Pat, what is a T3? How is the motor tilted? In a VW for example, is it tilted backwards or forward? I need it to tilt toward my passenger side to work. Is this 80-90 club on this site?

lewis

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Lew:

A T3 is the rear-engined van (Vanagon over here) with a longitudinal installation of many different engines (air cooled and water cooled). It got the 1.6 diesel in this market during the '80s.

some reference links:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jfarrugi/dustbin/vwresources.html
http://forum.80-90.co.uk/index.php
http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/

The rear installation layed the engine over to the driver's side (passenger's side for a US model front installation RX7) enough to clear the decklid of an engine room meant for a horizontally opposed (flat) engine.

Almost anything you can dream up has already been done by VW in SOME application for this engine (please remember that the VW inine four diesel is the highest volume production diesel in history).

Hope this helps some.

Pat

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
It seems as though the vanagon oil pans and such are as rare as hens teeth. I have tried all the the aforementioned sites and no luck so far. do you think I could buy this from a VW dealer? Or would they look at me like I was crazy?
thanks again

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Easier to buy one. then I have a factory reference line to work with.

Rub, do you know if the 1.6 motors used the same bolt holes for the oil pan as the 1.9? I have had several people respond to my request for a pan but I dont know if it will fit

thanks

lewis

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Don't know.. If I were you, I'd just see wich angle you can still get away with the intake manifold, then make an adapter for the tranny with the correct angle and as last obstacle fix the oil pan..

Tought about going dry sump?

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Do they use an Oil pan gasket?

Try cross checking the part numbers for the pan gasket.

lews930 said:
Easier to buy one. then I have a factory reference line to work with.

Rub, do you know if the 1.6 motors used the same bolt holes for the oil pan as the 1.9? I have had several people respond to my request for a pan but I dont know if it will fit

thanks

lewis

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I dont know the answer to that. I'm guessing that they could use silicone as they are a cast aluminum pan. I'm not a big fan of silicone unless you have to use it..

Pat has informed me that they use the same bolt pattern. will check on gaskets

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Use either hondabond, or "therightstuff" these will never leak.

Hondabond takes a long time to dry.

lews930 said:
I dont know the answer to that. I'm guessing that they could use silicone as they are a cast aluminum pan. I'm not a big fan of silicone unless you have to use it..

Pat has informed me that they use the same bolt pattern. will check on gaskets