vw diesel into a mazda rx7

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
lews930 said:
Which of these early 1.9 motors have the least amount of wiring? While I could transfer all the stuff mentioned toget more zoom, that will lead to more work and time down for my commuter car. If I could get close to 100 hp with minimal wiring that is my goal along with better fuel economy.

Did I hear 97-99 tdi was the weapon of choice or earlier?

thanks

lewis
The AHU is the 1st gen TDI you are refering too. The electronics are very simple on this one. You can also go with the newer US PD's including the B5 2.0PD as mentioned, but you would want an EDC15P ECU and harness from Europe. That is a fairly simple ECU as well. (That is the one I am using on a B5 2.0PD). I mild tune is worth 160HP/300ft-lbs..but there is a bit of an issue with the oil pump drive shaft and chain on some of these. A good bet would be to import a PD130 or PD150 complete with ECU and harness. There are a few guys on here offering those services. As Pat mentioned, the m-TDI is a good route with a well built pump.

Anyways, I like your project concept...It's got me thinking about my next one! :D I think I would use a 1.4PD. The RX has low coef x small frontal area so good mileage gains for a small displacment, sporty car.:cool:

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
If I were doing an ultimate mileage TDI, (remember, this is a bench racing session, so nobody has to cut a cheque) I would get a Miata NB coupe shell out of Japan, stick it onto an NA and put a 1.4 into that. Even cleaner and lighter than a 924 (and THAT is saying a bunch).

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
So what you gonna do about the fact the 1.9 tdi is miles taller than the rotary, and the rotary engine is mounted higher in the chassis than a typical piston engine would? Cut a hole in the hood?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
lews930 said:
now that's what I'm talking about.

How much electronics on this 2.0 Passat motor and what years for that motor?

thanks

lewis
More than your probably willing to deal with.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I asked earlier on this forum for dimenions on this motor but couldnt get the answers. I Dont think it is taller than a 350 chevy so it shouldnt be a problem. Besides there is enough room to lower it int the chassis as well.

thanks for your concern

lewis

Mk2tdi

TDI
mk2 tdi project
engine dimensions

lews930 said:
I asked earlier on this forum for dimenions on this motor but couldnt get the answers. I Dont think it is taller than a 350 chevy so it shouldnt be a problem. Besides there is enough room to lower it int the chassis as well.

thanks for your concern

lewis
From that cad drawing:

700mm tall x 520mm long 430mm wide

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
Are those dims on the 1.9 from pan to valve cover with regards to height? If so then a 1.9tdi is a bit taller than a 350 chevy.

To each his own, but installing a diesel in a car with an engine that can easily spin to 9,000 rpm is subtracting from the spirit of the car. The tdi has a 1/3 the useful rpm range as the rotary, and will never be able to produce the power a juiced rotary can make, I dunno it just sounds dumb to me, but you know what is said about opinions.....

Last edited:

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Once again for those that missed it the first time. i love the car but 19 mpg is terrible for a 1.3 liter motor. If I wanted to be a purist i would install a 13b turbo motor easily 250-300 hp. If I wanted more I could install a 350 chevy and get 350-500 hp. BUT they both get terrible fuel mileage. Do you get it? It's really quite simple. When the oil companies lower the price of that necessity called gasoline then I might consider one of the aforementioned swaps. Until then I'll stick with a diesel

thank you for your concern

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I must apologize to Mk2tdi. he sent me the specs on the motor earlier. I have been so busy with the leg work of this swap and finishing my new house.

The point that I emphasize is fuel economy. I cant get it with a rotary or sb chevy

thank you

lewis

Mk2tdi

TDI
mk2 tdi project
no problem... I know how it feels to be swamped. My BMW/VW hybrid has me sidetracked alot and i've been slipping on a few things as well.

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
In the context of simplicity and reality (figuring cost/availability of parts as well as minimum fabrication required) I would agree with you that the most logical combination of parts would be a Toyota W-58 transmission and bellhousing coupled to the engine using an ACME kit. Somebody on here named Josh has done a really nice buildup on a volvo wagon. I think this is his link

http://picasaweb.google.com/yoshifab/VolvoTDI

If your goal is fuel efficiency, I wouldn't consider importing something EURO spec. You're probably best off buying an entire running wrecked TDI donar car locally for the best price you find.

I haven't done the swap myself yet, but am planning it in the near future on a friend's toyota pickup

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I measured my rotary today and it measures 25 3/4" tall. If the tdi is 700 mm or 27+ inches it will work. There is enough room to lower the motor into the chassis or lean the motor over as is done in the vanagon swaps. At the rate I'm going my 2 yearold will have to finish the swap. At least I know it will fit.

lewis

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
If you swapped in a gas engine the 1UZ Lexus 4 litre would be the best.

Ive seen em in Miatas, it should fit in a RX7.

the rotarty is like the Honda S-2000 engine, unless its wound up to 10,000+ if makes zero torque.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
right you are. Throw in the fact that my car turned 153k on the way to work this morning and the little engine is getting tired. Never really had any torque now I'm sure even less

anybody got a complete motor for sale? I check ed my local insurance auction last night but didnt find any diesels close enough to bid on. Guess I'll keep looking

lewis

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Did I hear correctly someone saying that these vw motors didnt have pilot bearings in the crank shaft? Will it be ok to only have the bearing pressed into the fly wheel?

I think my cummins 5.9 had only a fly wheel centered pilot bearing but dont remember.

thank you

lewis

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok. I think I've found a aaz motor but some questions have come up.

First of course, can I put an intercooler on this motor? How much power approximately will that add?

I've noticed some threads about crank sprockets coming loose. Is the update sprocket a good fix?

Lastly, cam i massage the pump to get 90 hp?

Shouldnt be long until my swap starts. Will update with pictures then

thank you

lewis

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
lews930 said:
I think my cummins 5.9 had only a fly wheel centered pilot bearing but dont remember.

thank you

lewis
On my first F150/Cummins 5.9 conversion is used a pressed in oilyte bushing into the flywheel. This was with the Ford ZF5spd tranny which was desinged to be used with a needle bearing in the flywheel, IIRC. I put 180K on it without any problems. It was ready for replacement when I pulled it out at 180k.
My point is that a flywheel centered bearing or bushing is used in a lot of autos without problem.

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
lews930 said:
Ok. I think I've found a aaz motor but some questions have come up.

First of course, can I put an intercooler on this motor? How much power approximately will that add?

I've noticed some threads about crank sprockets coming loose. Is the update sprocket a good fix?

Lastly, cam i massage the pump to get 90 hp?

Shouldnt be long until my swap starts. Will update with pictures then

thank you

lewis
If you are going with an aaz, you should do some searching here:

http://vwdiesel.net/

The aaz is an indirect injection engine, not a TDI. The factory power output is a lot less. Yes you can re-adjust your pump for more power with the power screw, boost pin change etc. An intercooler would go well with pump mods & injectors, it's primary function is to lower your EGT's so you don't melt your engine down at WOT with lots of extra fuel. It will also help with a denser air charge (being cooler) for more cylinder charge.
PS - buy a TDI - 1z, AHU or ALH :D You will be much happier with the performance & fuel economy for a little bit more money.

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Cant, I already bought it. I didnt want to get into a lot of wiring. With the aaz motor and ACME adapter and Toyota tranny all the mazda gauges will work except the tach. I have a plan for that too. Should be a good little gas, er, diesel sipper. I hope to get 40 mpg with it and anything over that will be a bonus.

lewis

TDIsyncro

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi/TDI x 2
lews930 said:
Cant, I already bought it. I didnt want to get into a lot of wiring. With the aaz motor and ACME adapter and Toyota tranny all the mazda gauges will work except the tach. I have a plan for that too. Should be a good little gas, er, diesel sipper. I hope to get 40 mpg with it and anything over that will be a bonus.

lewis
Well, if you don't go to crazy with the power screw, you should do ok for mileage. You should install a boost pin from a 1.6TD or Cummins 5.9BT The taper will benefit your highway cruizing mileage and your high boost power. Make sure you note the taper is off center for adjustments. You might want to read up on the balancer pulley issue and decide on some stradegy there. For the turbo, you can build your own hobbs switch boost controller or play around with the actuator rod adjustment to run it up a bit higher.
Look forward to following your build and seeing the results.:)

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I will update the thread when the parts start to roll in. I hope to order my Acme adapter next week. I'll get my bare chassis set up to start the fabrication so that my car isnt down any longer than need be

lewis

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Lewis: Keep us posted and don't hesitate for any free advice along the way. We are always willing to help you spend your money (wisely). I think you are going to have a very nice car (AAZ has a few issues, but fixable and can be brought to decent power easily).

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
This is a bad idea, or rather this will be hard to execute properly IMO.

I own a 1990 rx7 with a 13b-rew and a run of the mil gt35r

Gets about 18MPG on avg (got 12MPG at a avg speed above 150 MPH for abou 45 minutes).

Made 440 HP and 350 lbs ft tq on 91 octane gas.

This car will beat a stock Z06 from the dig. Will beat a hayabusa from anything above 85-90

I also own a 98 TDI, gets 50 MPG on the hwy.

These 2 cars would not make a good mix.

Your rx7 convertable with basic exhaust mods will make more than power than the TDI powered 7 is likley to ever make with any level of mods.

When my car was an NA (the rx7) it mad 154 WHP with just an exhaust.

Second major issue, the rear end gear ratio of the vert is 3.909 -1.

I don't know what the Final Drive ratio is in any TDI, but I would be very supprised if it wasn't much higher than that.

Running at 4K rpm at 80 MPH would significantly **** up your diesel milage in the TDI seven.

A better engin choise IMO would be a mercedes OM603, it would easily fit in the seven.

A kit is available to mount it to a T5/T56

With the T56 in 6th gear it would have the right ratio to run in pretty efficiently.

It can make more power than the TDI with basic mods/adjustments and would still get great fuel economy in such a light car.

Good luck, in whatever you do.

Last edited:

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
Ok. let me explain this scenario 1 more time. I am installing the VW Td engine for one thing FUEL MILEAGE!!!!!! I drive 55 miles one way to work and since I'm going to work I dont care to get there any faster. If I could get my Kubota 23 hp diesel to move my Mazda at a respectable clip I would install it. In addition to the fuel savings I am currently working on WVO in my Cummins deisel so a switch to the free stuff could be inthe works for the Mazda as well

Lewis

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Thats all fine and good, I handled that same issue by just buying a MK3 jetta TDI. I'll have about 5.5k into it once I have done the timing belt, new tires wheels all other maintinence items, chip, exhaust emissions removal and clutch. And I even have real backs seats, not the rx7 sudo back seats.

Have you considered the gear ratio's?

If you end up with stock Rx7 like ratios after your conversion is finished, well if your at 4K rpm at 80 or close to it that won't be fun with TDI power. It will probably hurt that mileage your after.

lews930 said:
Ok. let me explain this scenario 1 more time. I am installing the VW Td engine for one thing FUEL MILEAGE!!!!!! I drive 55 miles one way to work and since I'm going to work I dont care to get there any faster. If I could get my Kubota 23 hp diesel to move my Mazda at a respectable clip I would install it. In addition to the fuel savings I am currently working on WVO in my Cummins deisel so a switch to the free stuff could be inthe works for the Mazda as well

Lewis

lews930

Veteran Member
TDI
96 passat
I drive at 60 mph to work. I like the way the rx7 feels.I cant describe it but it just feels good. It aint pretty but I like it. I dont know if going 80 in a Jetta will give good mpg numbers either. When I drive my 5.9 cummins powered dodge I get 20 mpg if I set the cruise at 58 mph. As I stated I'm in no rush when going to work. Besides I want to be the first to convert a Rx7 to diesel. Where would the fun be in buying a jetta?
BTW, my 1.9 TD arrives today:)

lewis

bigblue

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta ALH, 2004 golf pd150
I've understood what you're trying to do and support it all the way. You want your fun RWD convertible that feels good to drive without too much concern about performance and would like better fuel economy and the potential to burn bio. Wish I was closeby and could give a hand with the swap. Did you decide on the acme adapter/ toyota W5x transmission?

alphaseinor

TDI Innovator, Gone but Not Forgotten
TDI
'03 Jetta TDI 780,000 miles (totaled out), 01 Audi TT 225 Quattro 230,000 Miles (runs great!), 00 Cabreetle Beetle dash, ALH & MK4 harness Swap
Keep us informed... kinda wish you went TDI instead of IDI, but hey... it's the same either way for me... pure car pr0n...