VW dealers: why so much displeasure?

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
The reason we went to Crowley (despite some questionable things we'd heard) was convenience. They're 10 minutes from our apartment, and with the winter being what it was when we decided to get the cars, we went there. The only reason I'm trying to resolve this through Crowley is because the issue we're having is the result of their error/stupidity/negligence, and not a Volkswagen problem. Believe me, once this is fixed we will NEVER be going back there again; warranty or not.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
My ex vw service adviser accused me of being a liar when the turbo duct detached a week after the vw dealershit removed the turbo ducts to diagnose the vibrating fender bolt on the firewall.... I've been nickel and dimed by VW... treated like a piece of dog poop. and left hanging with alot of invoices.

bradbms

TDI
'02 Golf GLS
I can recommend two good dealers and one to avoid. First New Milford VW in New Milford, CT is pretty good. They are the oldest dealership in the nation I believe. They lay back on that a bit when selling new and used cars so you may not get the best price but they sell a whole lot of TDIs and seem to know a whole lot about them. I wouldn't hesitate to take my car there for service. I bought my Golf at Garvey VW in Queensbury, NY and wouldn't recommend them too highly. I tried to get my 5,000 mile service done there and the first appointment they had was over three weeks from the day I called...no thanks. You'd thing they'd want to keep you coming back but I guess not. I've taken it to Nemer VW in Latham, NY since then and have had no real negative experiences, although they did over tighten my lug nuts the last time I was in. But when my window got f'd up and wouldn't go down they took me the very next day and fixed it and checked the passenger side too just to be safe. When I hear strange rattles they go out in the car with me to troubleshoot. When I broke the plastic tray in the cowl area this past winter they replaced it no questions asked. Next week I go for the 15,000 service and I plan on having them fix some more rattles. They don't seem to mind. I had always heard bad things about Nemer VW but I guess you never really know until you go there yourself.

Mike

Sinner

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Mmmmm.

VW is a German car. And most of us expect nothing short of perfect German cars. After all, VWs are all nice and shiny

Actualy, what I've found out, after talking with my VW-owner friends, is that VW-TDIs are a little better than VW-gas.

All car brands have problems. Of course, a problem in a German-built car is always an issue. Then, a problem with a slightly cheaper Japanesse is not really a problem because of a ... something that I'd call "the Japanesse car aura" that acts as a cover up. I've seen old Japanesse cars and old VWs... they all suffer the same problems: they are OLD.

My experience with dealership: as a former mechanic AND a TDI-Club member I feel that I know more than the guy that takes my car for an oil change or a revision. So I demand more, and I let them know that I know what I'm talking about. So far, my experience is very good. with both the dealer at the place where I bought it and from the dealer where I go for oil change. I had the window problem on one window. I went there, they changed BOTH regulators, they asked for $0.00
and they did it in very short notice (morning "surprise", straight to dealer, I got the car at lunch time and I got a shuttle to get to work/go to pick up the Jetta).

So:

- get your TDI Wagon 5sp ASAP (I wanted a wagon, none left in the US by July. Bummer!)
- get the extended warranty. Click & Clack (from "Car Talk") recommend the same thing

- be a TDI-Club member and know about your car
- take care of your car
- ... and get 1000 milles in a tank

Peace,
Sinner

spifflifkin

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
I’ve been very disappointed with the dealer I’ve been going to. But, I’m more disappointed at my ‘03 Sedan. My problems started about 650 miles. Now at 9000 miles, in 8 months, it’s been in 6 times (a cumulative of over 30 days). So far it’s all been warranty work, so that’s nice. I keep going to the same dealer because it is so close to my house, but the next problem that I have I will be going somewhere else. Several problems with the car were created while it was in for service. 6 times is not counting the times I turned right around and brought it back after picking it up from service.

I found TDIClub when I was researching my car’s various problems. The service department claimed, every time, that they have never heard of that problem! Never heard of them. The most ridiculous one was the dragging brakes. The never heard of that? While my car was in to get that fixed another one mysteriously showed up with the same problem. WOW! I was the first on in Seattle to have brake problems! I was the first one to have a broken sway-bar link, leaky cooling hoses, a loose sunroof, and a plethora of rattles!

One of the best things that the service manager told me was that “there are just some people that have rattle problems that will not go away until they sell the car.” Funny, 3 of the 4 times I brought the car in to have a rattle fixed a tech rode with me and agreed that it wasn’t a “normal” rattle, and once he rode with me! On the ride with him, he said, “yeah, that rattle would drive me crazy.” When I picked up the car, the rattle was still there, so me, him and the “resident rattle expert” took the car for a test drive. The service manager claimed that he couldn’t hear a thing. The tech heard it, diagnosed it and fixed it. Later telling me that he couldn’t believe that his boss didn’t hear it. Funny thing is that if I was a person that had “rattle problems” he should have remembered me from the previous 3 years that I had a Jetta GT which I purchased from them. That was the most trouble free car I have ever owned. He wouldn't remember me because that car had no pproblems and all I ever brough it in for was scheduled maintenance.

But, yeah, it must be me! O.k. I’m done venting.

Spiff

doc_m

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I think alot of it comes down to how informed you are about things, sure there is the chrysler 5 star thing but i think that's a crock of @#* cause my wife has a 2002 neon, which admitedlly is no jetta, but it will do for now, but their service dept is sooooo bad i wouldn't trust them with anything. As for the vw dealers, it depends on where you are the one here in Langley is pathetic and people aren't nice there, but my experiences with Abbotsford VW are nothing short of great experiences, amazing parts guy, very helpful, and the service manager is also nice and pleasent to deal with. As long as there is a memeber of this club with vag com around so you come equipped with what the problem is you will be fine, I have found a great parts source here in Langley autofolks if anyone wants to check it out, also a good place for non warranty work. I have found another thing tat goes along ways treat others as you would like to be treated, may not fix the mess ups some dealers have done, but I find they treat ya different when your not some sort of mr know it all, just my 2 cents

TDI_Don

Regarding Crowley, if I were you, Jimbo - I would contact the State Dept. of Consumer Protection. The lemon law probably doesn't apply in this matter, but I would at least want to have a complaint on file with them. Good luck.

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
At this point, I want the car replaced. Now before you say I'm crazy, think about it this way. I think the reason Crowley is trying to avoid this issue is that if they had discovered this problem BEFORE they sold the car, whether they replaced the windows or not they couldn't legally sell the car as new. It would be the same if cars in their lot were damaged by a hail storm or flood, except in this case since it was their mistake, they can't file an insurance claim. They want to avoid eating the cost of a car.