VW CrossBlue Diesel Hybrid concept introduced at NAIAS

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
You'd think the electric motor would work like a frostheater, heck even the Prius has a heater for the ICE coolant to be up to temp pretty much immediately and its been like that for at least 10 years.
The Prius had a dewar flask that would store coolant when the engine was off and would keep it warm for up to four days, depending on many variables. It no longer has that... I think starting in 2009.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I'd love it, but if they throw a 4 cylinder TDI engine on it, I don't think that's adequate power for a vehicle of that size, twin turbo or not. Maybe a small V6 TDI engine would be perfect...like a detuned version of what's in the A6 and toureg?
Solution is easy: 5-cylinder TDI.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
That red Cross Coupe is beautiful :)

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
It would be neither very difficult nor costly for VW to do it in the scheme of an engine development program. :)

Nextwhat

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Highline
Nice, I hope they keep the classy interior when it goes to production. No more "all black, all the time"!

01greenjetta

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta automatic
If this thing makes it to production you'll all be believers in the instant torque of electric motors. I hope they make it able to run on either electric or diesel independently. Redundant drive system...redundant sentences. :eek:

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
It's based on the Passat, so weight should be less than 25% more. If torque is increased by 25%, from 236-295 lb-ft, who cares how they get it? Performance will be more than acceptable.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
That would mean going to different transmission(s), because the MQ350 (manual) and DQ350 (DSG) would be past their nominal engineered design torque limits (350 Nm = 258 lb. ft.).

A 4-cylinder TDI -- especially in 170 HP or bi-turbo 180 HP trim available in the Amarok -- would certainly be "adequate;" it is an outdated perception that it isn't just because it has 4 cylinders and small displacement, exemplified in the above posts, which must be hurdled over. Hence a good compromise would be a thoroughly modern 2.5L R5 TDI (which would also require the aforementioned upgraded transmissions).

A Passat wagon is as large a car as I'd ever want to buy, but I don't have any kids at the moment to ferry to soccer practice. :)

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Mind you, there is a DQ500 (7-speed, wet clutch DSG) and a MQ500 (6-speed manual).

But, they're designed to go in Transporters. Who knows if they'd fit in a Golf-based chassis.

TDIMeister

TDI
TDI
^ Perfect with a 5-cylinder TDI. :D (but I don't know if it'll fit either, but I'm pretty sure a 90° V6 will not in the current MQB).

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
It would be neither very difficult nor costly for VW to do it in the scheme of an engine development program. :)
Development should not be an issue but getting the emmissions package approved for sales by the EPA might be a larger hurdle. If they would approve the bi-turbo diesel and tranny currently used in the Amarok, then that would also eliminate at least one hurdle towards building and selling the Amarok here.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
The thing is, it's model+powertrain combinations that are certified, not powertrains. (Which is why the CKRA isn't in the Golf and Jetta - the Golf and Jetta were certified with the CJAA.)

Also, I'd rather have urea than the fuel-burning trap the CJAA has.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I would have to believe that it is easier to get the same engine/powertrain certified across different models then it would be to get a different engine/powertrain certified in a new model. For instance, it might be easier to certify the CKRA in the cross coupe with the same DSG or manual tranny as in the Passat then to get the Crossblue certified with a new engine and the hybrid powertrain. Of course, since the Crossblue is a hybrid, it might get fasttracked even with a diesel engine.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
The thing is, it's model+powertrain combinations that are certified, not powertrains. (Which is why the CKRA isn't in the Golf and Jetta - the Golf and Jetta were certified with the CJAA.)

Also, I'd rather have urea than the fuel-burning trap the CJAA has.

They would have to make alot of changes to the body for a CKRA engine to fit.

(example)The water I/C and pump also the urea tank.

spryde

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI GLS 5sp, 2006 Jetta Pkg 2 DSG Blue Graphite (order cancelled by dealer :( )
Personal thoughts after seeing it in person:

-It's much more rounded than the Flex (that was my first reaction too).
-Interior is along the lines of the European interiors versus the new spartan US interiors.
-I still don't think they would produce a diesel electric hybrid version of this (I sincerely want to be wrong).

I'll stay tuned to see how it goes.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't think they'll do a diesel-electric either, but I'm hoping for at least a diesel and not just a bunch of gassers.

kgall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A-3
I'm not the demographic for this vehicle, but being someone in a family with a TDi and a hybrid--yeah, I'd think about a diesel hybrid.

BlueBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
NB, 2000, Bright Blue & Yellow, Things & Wings rolling advertisement
I unfortunately will believe it when I see it. VW has shown to many great SHOW vehicles that never show up in America. It seems that they like to give us hope and then sell them in other markets. You watch, if there is a version in the States, it will have a 1.4l and maybe one electric motor. I have just lost faith in VW's show cars and SUVs. They always come back and say that it is just to costly to hybridize the TDI in this market! Bah-humbug!!!:mad:

bhtooefr

TDI
None
They've only ever sold ONE TDI hybrid model EVER, mind you.

And that was the 1997 Audi Duo. Which was very limited production, and incredibly expensive.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
As has already been mentioned, VAG transverse platforms do not support V6 engines.

(VR6 is the closest you'll get, and they've never successfully made a diesel one of those.)

powerfool

Veteran Member
TDI
None anymore
As has already been mentioned, VAG transverse platforms do not support V6 engines.

(VR6 is the closest you'll get, and they've never successfully made a diesel one of those.)
http://www.autoblog.com/2012/11/19/audi-confirms-four-new-tdi-diesel-models-headed-for-us/

This article suggests the existence of V6 TDI engines... whether or not they are transverse, I don't know, but why would they have to be? And in something as large as a CrossBlue, I think they have the room to make either work.

The Audi Q5 TDI will have one...

bhtooefr

TDI
None
Those are not transverse, those are longitudinal platforms.

And, the CrossBlue is a tall Passat, and does not have room to both hold a V6 TDI and meet crash safety standards without lengthening the nose. (It would still require some nose lengthening even if you made it longitudinal.)

The Q5 is essentially a tall Audi A4, and is a longitudinal platform that does have room for a V6.