VW Chatanooga Plant Green Building certification

verylongdrive

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf,2001
"Use of LED lighting on the exterior results in 68% less energy used, up to 262,500 kWh per year and a reduction in light pollution."

It seems that reduction in light polution would indicate that for the slightly lower energy use, they got dimmer lights, no? I wonder how much the no doubt offshore-produced (emissions-no-object, that is) LEDs cost.

Most of the many mentions of the LEED certification mostly talk about the water savings due to the innovative (read: not used anywhere, except perhaps by MB, who tried somethign similar and abandoned it after much trouble) paint process.

I'd rather see a certification by somebody like DuPont saying that the paint is being applied particularly well - particularly after seeing the awful paint on the black dealer demo here, which had such large-grain wobblyness that oranges would be offended if I called it orange peel.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
While I'm in favor of conservation in all forms, there is no doubt the ROI on most of their green implementations are beyond meaningful, and those cost premiums are reflected in the Passat.

Reminds me of state's megawatt wind turbine projects. "free energy" is a myth, as their initial and ongoing costs (primarily your tax dollars) far exceed revenue. Even did the math on a small 'off grid' cottage project (KW turbine & PV panel combo)... Will never be cheaper than local utility, must dismiss as hobby costs.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
While I'm in favor of conservation in all forms, there is no doubt the ROI on most of their green implementations are beyond meaningful, and those cost premiums are reflected in the Passat.

Reminds me of state's megawatt wind turbine projects. "free energy" is a myth, as their initial and ongoing costs (primarily your tax dollars) far exceed revenue. Even did the math on a small 'off grid' cottage project (KW turbine & PV panel combo)... Will never be cheaper than local utility, must dismiss as hobby costs.
Not everything is about ROI. Sometimes doing the right thing is the correct thing. They are saving in the long run or they would not have done it.

Not as long as the fuels for regular power generation are subsidized. Once the true price of those fuels including environmental protection (no mountain top mining and scrubbers for coal, emissions controls for natural gas) is realized the alternatives will be comparable.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
You know, I frankly could care less if their plant is flipping green, purple and the like. I mainly want them to make and engineer cars that : 1. Do not have defects that the company tries to weasel out of like the balance shaft fiasco of the 2004-2005 Passat TDI. 2. Have competent service departments that knows how to properly service their vehicles without surgically extracting your wallet. 3. Warranty that is clear cut. 4. Service departments that treat you like a customer instead of a convicted felon.