VW Certified? Worth it

Docproteus

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 05 Jetta Sedan
I'm looking at buying a car froma dealership back east and it's VW certified. Are these certs worth it? Does VW really back things up and as such, can I pretty much assume that the car is in as decent shape as they say it is?

dave

carcap

I bought a 2002 Golf TDI vw certified. That gave me a warranty extension from 4 yrs/80,000 km to 6 yrs/120,000 km. So far I have had rear wiper motor replaced, heated mirror replaced and some engine flange replaced due to a coolant leak. All this covered under warranty (I'm at 93,000 km).

Essentially, the higher price you pay for a vw certified car is an additional type of insurance. The extra cash you dish out is prepayment of any future repairs. You have to ask yourself is the higher price worth it ?

If you pay 2000$ more for a vw certified, do you think you will have more than 2000$ of repairs (at dealer prices !) during the extended warrranty period ?

Good luck in your search...

carcap

I was told the warranty is extended to 2 years or 40,000 km. So I am assuming that translates to 6yrs or 120,000 km. I'll have to check. Hope I didn't misunderstand the saleman...

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I just bought a VW certified not too long ago. It's a 2 year 24,000 mile (~40km) warranty. I don't think they offer the warranty on cars over 80,000 miles, so if your looking into a cheaper car just buy it yourself. I test drove a few TDI's at Eich motors and one of them had a bad rod end, and another needed a ball joint. Both of these cars were beyond 80k. So from my experience the VW certfied car would have been gone through with a fine-tooth comb to check that everything is ok. I guess it only makes sense that they do this since they are going to warranty the car.

carcap

In Canada, a certified vw gets you 2 years or 40,000 km warranty extension after new vehicle warranty expires.

http://www.vw.ca/vwca/cpo/warranty/0,2277,40,00.html

Coverage

2-year/40,000 km basic warranty (whichever comes first)
Begins when the new vehicle limited warranty expires or upon the sales date of the pre-owned vehicle (whichever occurs later)
2-year Roadside Assistance**
No deductible on covered repairs, which are: Motor
Steering
Front and rear axles
Manual transmission
Electrical power supply
Heating and air conditioning
ABS brakes
Electrical systems
Torque converter
Differential
Material or manufacturing defects (except when due to normal wear-and-tear, the appearance of the vehicle, tires or exhaust system)

Includes the balance of the limited powertrain warranty, which is transferable along with any remaining limited warranty against perforation due to corrosion (balance of new vehicle warranty).
$150 warranty transfer (no charge in Quebec and Nova Scotia). Transfer fees are the buyer’s responsibility. The transfer comes into effect when Volkswagen Canada (Pre-Owned Vehicles Warranty Department) receives the name, address and telephone number of the new owner, along with the vehicle’s complete identification number.
Repairs covered by the warranty can be done at any licensed VW Canada dealer

Docproteus

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 05 Jetta Sedan
OK, next question, and don't flame me, cuz I'm new to all of this. Carfax says it was in an accident and looked at by the state collision center. If VW is bumper to bumper and it's passed their certification, can I rest assured that this car is OK frame wise and everything? Otherwise, they wouldn't have certified it no?

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
IMO that is a good enough reason to either walk away from it, or take it to an independant shop to examine the damage and it's associated repair.

dieselvet

TDI
MB GLK 250 4M BT
carcap said:
In Canada, a certified vw gets you 2 years or 40,000 km warranty extension after new vehicle warranty expires.

http://www.vw.ca/vwca/cpo/warranty/0,2277,40,00.html

Coverage

2-year/40,000 km basic warranty (whichever comes first)
Begins when the new vehicle limited warranty expires or upon the sales date of the pre-owned vehicle (whichever occurs later)
2-year Roadside Assistance**
No deductible on covered repairs, which are: Motor
Steering
Front and rear axles
Manual transmission
Electrical power supply
Heating and air conditioning
ABS brakes
Electrical systems
Torque converter
Differential
Material or manufacturing defects (except when due to normal wear-and-tear, the appearance of the vehicle, tires or exhaust system)

Includes the balance of the limited powertrain warranty, which is transferable along with any remaining limited warranty against perforation due to corrosion (balance of new vehicle warranty).
$150 warranty transfer (no charge in Quebec and Nova Scotia). Transfer fees are the buyer’s responsibility. The transfer comes into effect when Volkswagen Canada (Pre-Owned Vehicles Warranty Department) receives the name, address and telephone number of the new owner, along with the vehicle’s complete identification number.
Repairs covered by the warranty can be done at any licensed VW Canada dealer
Thanks for the info, I was told my 2003 CPO would expire in 2007 or 120,000km. I guess I'm ahead, because with 2 cars it'll take me a while to get to 120,000.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
It's still no substitute for doing your pre-purchase homework !!!

Please read the "how to buy a used TDI" thread...
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=708161

You will also be pressured into doing most (all???) of your regular maintenance at VW dealerships - which can turn out to be a very expensive proposition...

Lastly: if this is a 2004 or newer, insist on seeing complete oil change records to make sure that only an oil conforming to VW spec 505.01 has been used in the car!!! The VW part number is G052167A2. If you cannot ascertain that only this type of oil was used in a PD-engine TDI, avoid the car !!!

Good luck,

Yuri.

TDIRyan

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta TDI Black
ON my CPO VW 2002 Jetta, in the first year I had to do:
A/C Compressor
serpentine belt/tensioner
New Radio
Brake Booster (full brake job with it)
Timing belt (not covered)

The timing belt was the only "normal wear" item (not covered). The warranty is worth it in case you have some stuff like mine did (all together $1700 warrantied work). Even if they're little things, it helps.

They told me when I got mine that VW CPO cars are accident-free cars. The next day I saw the tow hook was bent and there was a little overspray on the bumper in back...

Last edited: