VW canada recalls

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
VW canada has anounced a recall,

The recall affects 2007 to 2009 model year Golf, Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen, Rabbit and 2006 to 2010 Beetle and Beetle convertibles

Company spokesman Thomas Tetzlaff said a plastic tab on the bottom of the windshield wiper fluid tank can chafe against a fuel line, potentially causing a hole which could led to a fire.
"The repair is quite simple, because that tab is not used for anything, it's just part of the moulding process of the plastic jug that holds the washer fluid," he said.

"We're going to remove that fluid jug, snip off that tab, check the fuel line and we'll be done with it."

He said there are no known incidents in which a fire has actually occurred.
The company will mail letters to car owners in January, but drivers can call their dealership if they have questions before receiving it.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
it's interesting, i'm not sure if this is a valid point or not, but considering that 60-80% of Vw's sold elsewhere in the world. ( not USA/CANADA) are tdi, I wonder if that doesn't have a bearing on how reliable a vehicle is. The recalls alot of times affect gas models, which perhaps because N/A is such a small market and loves their gasoline vehicles don't get the attention they should or make enough of a dent in vw's quality control. I've driven vw diesels and have found them remarkably reliable. that's not to say it's a perfect vehicle, they all seem to have a little weakness here or there, but I thought I'd throw this out there and see what you guys think.

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
so the recall affects both US and Canadian cars. good to know as mine is a US car in Canada.
would a fuel leak cause a fire in a diesel? I suppose fuel under pressure could ignite...

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
In fact, as I posted in the General VW section yesterday, this recall only applies to the 2.5-liter gas engine. All but one of the news stories I saw omitted this pertinent fact [sigh].

-dan

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
I'm bringing in the 09 GTI for scheduled maintenance on Tuesday...I'll bug them about this recall....just to be sure.;)

Btw....diesel is a pain to light on fire.

On the farm we would sometimes clear some land...and end up with huge piles of brush and trees. We'd burn them. Used diesel as a starter...as it's way safer than gas....but boy was it a PITA to get it to burn. Had to hold a match to it for a while. Propane torch worked much better.:)

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
About a year ago, this was brought up by someone here about the tab touching the fuel lines on the TDIs and there were photos. I went out and checked my car then, but the lines were ok. Others reported the lines touching the tab. It goes right between the two lines that go from the filter to the tank.

brads

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6sp W/Euro GTD-LED tails Neuspeed flash + VCDS Mods
It absolutely does apply to TDI's (the engine vibrates more causing more likely chafing) and it also applys to 2010's. My 2010 Golf TDI's tab was cut off by a VW mechanic friend in feb. I then showed my friend at work who has a 2009 JETTA TDI and his was already visibly chafing the fuel line. We cut it off and it was done.
Fire or no fire, high pressure fuel is going to spray all over the place in there if it does finally go.

Last edited:

FredIA

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 A5 Jetta, Shadow Blue, Pkg #1/XM, rear side curtain airbags
I'm bringing in the 09 GTI for scheduled
Btw....diesel is a pain to light on fire.

On the farm we would sometimes clear some land...and end up with huge piles of brush and trees. We'd burn them. Used diesel as a starter...as it's way safer than gas....but boy was it a PITA to get it to burn. Had to hold a match to it for a while. Propane torch worked much better.:)
I started to use diesel for my use (I live in the country) instead of gas and I found a little trick to still make it much safer than gas but much easier to light.

Either mix in or (probably better) throw on top of the Diesel a little Kerosene (D1) and then it's easy to light, sets the Diesel off just fine. If done right this is safer than a match or torch to get it going.

The Diesel is much better for starting fires in trash and wet wood than gas since it burns much hotter and longer. :D

Which means a Diesel fire, if started is probably much more hazardous than a gasoline fire.. but it's much less likely to start.

Fred

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
.. I then showed my friend at work who has a 2009 JETTA TDI and his was already visibly chafing the fuel line...
Your friends 2009 TDI must be different than mine because there is plenty of clearance below and above the tab on my TDI. I don't see how the hoses could be repositioned close enough to the tab to get them to rub even with engine vibration. I have the old style FF canister with the water extraction port on canister top. What top does your friend's TDI have?

When this was first reported many, many months ago, I checked mine then and have checked each time I inspect the FF canister for metal particles. My most recent inspection for chafing was at 40k miles when I changed the FF. There is absolutely no chafing on those two hoses.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
Your friends 2009 TDI must be different than mine because there is plenty of clearance below and above the tab on my TDI. I don't see how the hoses could be repositioned close enough to the tab to get them to rub even with engine vibration. I have the old style FF canister with the water extraction port on canister top. What top does your friend's TDI have?

When this was first reported many, many months ago, I checked mine then and have checked each time I inspect the FF canister for metal particles. My most recent inspection for chafing was at 40k miles when I changed the FF. There is absolutely no chafing on those two hoses.
Do you remember which thread it was, because there were pics.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I finally got around to checking my '10 JSW which I was sure would not need the tab removed. Oops. The tab was touching the lower fuel hose and it would not take much movement to cause trouble, so I did a tab-ectomy and filed down the edges nice and smooth. It no longer can contact the fuel hose at all.

-dan