VW 6speed gearbox

Kennyc

I have read in a magazine article that the VW 6 speed box is only rated to 20 Ib/ft higher than a standard 115pd engine puts out and chipping it would exceed the gear box touque rating. Is this true?

S

SkyPup

The new Euro 150HP P-D TDIs are running 6-speed boxes, however the clutch and tranny have been the limiting factors for TDI engine development program.

S

SkyPup

The new Euro 150HP P-D TDIs are running 6-speed boxes, however the clutch and tranny have been the limiting factors for TDI engine development program.

Kennyc

A friend suggested that the 5 speed box would be a better choice if tuning was the idea as the 5 speed is alot stronger ! Also it only takes one gear change to get to 60mph. Is this true ?

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Does anyone know why the 5-speed manual should have a stronger clutch/return spring than a 6 speed manual? It doesn't make sense to me that adding another gear would lower a transmission's power handling capacity. Could someone please enlighten me on this?

TDi RAY

Veteran Member
TDI
Jolf '00 Nogaro Blue.
I would think since you have less material for the housing of the tranny that it would be weaker. The more material you have the stronger that thing is going to be.
Ray

------------------
2000 silver Golf GLS TDi,
Upsolute Chip, Tuning Box
ABD intake, Supersprint muffler, H&R lowering springs, Blue tint, Abd strut bar and lower front sway bar, Kamei grill door sills and eyelids, Euro head lamps,
Blue Hella Tails, sony M-600 headunit, console mounted boost gauge, Painted front and rear lower bumpers, Euro switch, and modified and painted engine cover.

BG

Veteran Member
Been there done that!
When my trans blew I ck out every possible angle. Results, Euro 316 5 spd with G60/Vr6
clutch. My trans is sweet, top speed same as 6spd. I have enought power to push the 316 final drive. top speed is 126mph with Absolute chip and TB. With more poop it will
go 132-135 for sure. BG

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Hey BG, how was that speed verified?

I've been to 120 in my 4-speed, according to the speedo.

Btw, I'm still considering swapping out my tranny and getting the one you have... think tonino is up to it?

BG

Veteran Member
Hi Steve, Yes Tony would do it. He can order the trans and clutch. The speedo in my car
was were the 126mph happened. I would assume there might be a little correction who knows!

wyseguy

Veteran Member
TDI
wyseguy100
Hey BG, what happened to your stock gearbox? blew chunks? Was it the spider gear shaft that snapped in half? I am EXTREMELY interested, thanks.

TDI Steve

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
How much would he charge? (parts and labor)

are you sure it could be done (auto to manual)?

BG

Veteran Member
Well if you guys remember had Bob King replace the stock trans, When I got it home, My curiosity got the best of me. So I upgraded to the 316 Euro trans/Quaife diff
G60 flywheel-Vr6 clutch.
I have the Stock 5spd available for sale
but it will fit any A3 we had to switch the Bell housing from the 316 trans
Steve give Tony a call. My set up cost
Trans $2000-
Clutch /flywheel $320
Quaife diff $1000
Labor who knows, Tony hooked me up!

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
BG said:
Well if you guys remember had Bob King replace the stock trans, When I got it home, My curiosity got the best of me. So I upgraded to the 316 Euro trans/Quaife diff
G60 flywheel-Vr6 clutch.
I have the Stock 5spd available for sale
but it will fit any A3 we had to switch the Bell housing from the 316 trans
Steve give Tony a call. My set up cost
Trans $2000-
Clutch /flywheel $320
Quaife diff $1000
Labor who knows, Tony hooked me up!
Did again !!! 8 YRS later

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
I have put down over 400ft lbs in both the 5 speed and 6 speeds. The o2m 6 speeds are much stronger than the 5 speeds. Ever had one apart? Very apparent.

Axles usually have issues before the transmission. The roll pin in the diff is the high failure point. It just falls out.

F1 tuning

Vendor
TDI
Varios TDI
Wee knew 8 years ago were the faliure was, but the car was under the warranty but after all this tha car mayde more power and few years later the Bolt ripped apart from the diff,
What was capable of ?
07-23-01, 03:34 AM #1 BG vbmenu_register("postmenu_136958", true);
Veteran Member

Waterfest Dyno results
3 TDI's were dynoed at the waterfest show.
1 Blue golf 2000 with .205's, exhaust,chip,TB( Both Upsolute).Filters = 120 hp at the wheels
2nd was a 99 Golf >205's,chip(Upsolute),filters, = 115hp
3rd was my car .216's KO3 turbo 30psi,propane,intercooler,upsolute chip,filter,exhaust= 152hp
The dynoed they used is exactly 15% lower than a Dynojet.Using my trusty calculator that give us
1. 132.3
2. 138
3. 174.8
Using Gary's Torque figures from his last Dyno of his NB with .216mm,Chip,TB,Exhaust,and other assorted goodies = 145.1 hp/ 280lbs torque
1. 132.3 hp/ 255 lbs torque
2. 138 hp/ 268 lbs torque
3. 174.8 hp/ 337.3 lbs of torque
Also using Garys calculation of 15% drive train loss
1. 152.1 hp/ 293.2 lbs TQ
2. 158.7 hp/ 308 lbs TQ
3. 174.8 hp/ 387.9 lbs TQ
When I went I almost cleared the place out with all the smoke,It was a hoot ,the crowd went wild.
Overall the TDI's opened a lot of spectators eyes to the power TDI's can produce.
Overall it waqs a great show over 500 cars in the show , Auto X had over 100 cars compete, and the drags had about 60 cars compete. The Fastest car on the drags was a corrodo with a 1.8T convet ran 11.6 at 126 mph not bad for a VW BG

were you were back then ?

Last edited:

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
TdiRacing said:
I have put down over 400ft lbs in both the 5 speed and 6 speeds. The o2m 6 speeds are much stronger than the 5 speeds. Ever had one apart? Very apparent.

Axles usually have issues before the transmission. The roll pin in the diff is the high failure point. It just falls out.
not torque, but we are chucking 600bhp through standard 6-speed 4wd 2m's in very aggressive 1/4 mile runs.

Find the selector forks need keeping an eye on, but that's it!

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
If you drive it normally it doesn't fail, but usually those people who think they're drving a sequential gearbox just want to shoft to fast from 1st to 2nd gear..

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
.....although if you do want to convert your 6 speed 02m box into one with a true sequential shift mechanism, I got the shifter sitting on the shelf right here!

20vK

Veteran Member
TDI
150PD Mk4 Golf
Will post up tonight! Very slow internet connection @ the moment, & I'm just about to transport my slammed '67 bug, (1" off the ground, matt blue with polished dishes - cool as fcuk) from London to the countryside for some work............well, engine rebuild and possibly a turbo!!

devonutopia

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD300 Skoda Fabia
20vK said:
.....although if you do want to convert your 6 speed 02m box into one with a true sequential shift mechanism, I got the shifter sitting on the shelf right here!
LOL! I'm curious! :D