VW 1303 1.4tdi conversion help

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
Hi,
I have been working on converting a 1975 vw 1303 to a 1.4 AMF TDI engine. I have advanced alone but would welcome any help. I would like some more information on how to deal with the engine harness and starting the engine for the first time. I am trying to keep the 1303 standard look.

regards,
Michael

for some pictures follow this link:https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=4a4f...N.Notifications&id=4A4F3C183ED46F3E!178&sff=1

Last edited:

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I just hope to see the engine fire up soon. Can you help with my electrical cobweb?

tscott1224

TDI
MK4 TDI
I wouldn't be of much help. I don't know anything about the 1.4 TDI motor, you are on the right forum for that. I would post here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=3 about the wiring. They should be able to give you the info you need. My honest opinion would be if you don't have wiring in the car yet, or if its really messed up buy a new wiring harness and use that as your base to work with. It should all be labeled when you get it. Something like this http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113971011L . You will have to get the correct one for your year though, even though that's probably the same. Hopefully someone else will chime in with some good info.

brandongill8

TDI
1998 Jetta
I'm working on the same thing right now!:D But my plan is a 1.9 TDI in a 62' T1 bug. Turning it into a Volksrod. I have the bug and a 98' jetta TDI. Getting the engine (and all the wiring) out now. I am on the hunt for a Vanagon diesel transaxle, no luck so far(cheaper the better= ratrod;))

Your Pics. look sweet!! Great job!!

brandongill8

TDI
1998 Jetta
I am not sure with that engine and ECU. I know that the 98' AHU you don't. You could always just get the ECU reprogrammed so it doesn't need the cluster or the key or the imobilizer(spelling). If yours is like the newer 1.9L. TDIs.

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
Hi,
I would like to ask if you have any idea if the engine would run without the instrument cluster.
If you can get the ELSA software you can find the wiring for that engine. In your case, I would delete the immo from the ECU so you can work without the instrument cluster and the original key.

João

PS: I will keep my 1302 beetle stock :D

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
Hi,
I thank you for your comments. I will try and start the engine with the instrument cluster. I will see how it goes. I can always hide it if I cannot disconnect it. I think that I would keep the standard 1303 speedometer and wires and deal with the wires as two indipendent systems. I will drive all the lights from the standard 1303 wires. And the engine from the polo wires. I will have only to fit external temperature gauges and glow plug lamp. Also I can fit a small RPM meter. I will try to find 1975 style instruments so that I keep as much as possible the original look.

regards,
Michael

JoaoT4

Veteran Member
TDI
Eurovan Conversion
I also have two systems and two fuse boxes. I think that with your ECU you will need the VSS signal for the engine work properly. It doesn't need to be accurate.
For the RPM meter you can get the signal from the alternator.
A tuner can delete the immo for you.

João

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
I think it would have been easier to fit the engine transversely but it would have involved a lot of changes in the engine mounting and structure. I was afraid that if I have cut and fitted extra steel plates and supports that I would have a problem later to pass the inspection test here in Malta. Now with the engine fitted as is it was before and is just a mater of registering an engine change without any structural changes.

regards,
Michael

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
Update

Hi,
I had a problem with the original 10 tooth geared starter motor as this was not cranking the engine. I have used the original starter flywheel ring froom the 1303 vw engine. As the AMF tdi flywheel does not fit inside the vw transmission. I have removed some material from the TDI flywheel and fitted the old 1303 flywheel ring on it. The original starter motor from the 1303 engine is not greared and has a 9 tooth gear wheel. I managed to find a popo diesel geared starter motor with a 9 tooth gear which fitted exactly on the flywhheel gear. I have just machined an adapter plate.

And now I can crank the engine, getting step by step closer to starting

Michael

Or Turbo Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
1995 Passat GLX Wagon, 2003 Jetta
Balanced flywheel?

Please make sure that the old flywheel wasn't balanced for the 1303's original engine, and that the tdi does not require a balanced flywheel. I have heard of engines having an early death due to unbalanced operation.

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
The engine has started

Hi everyone,
I am back with my project. It has taken a year almost to sort the immobilizer and engine ecu program. Last weekend I had my engine starting in my garage. Now I have to trim all the extra wires off the harness. I would like to ask if someone has any idea on how many pulses per km the electronic speedometer reads?

regards,
Michae

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
Yes everything should fit under the original deck lid. I am pressing for a standard exterior look with modern features.

regards,
Michael

miketrapani

TDI
1.4TDI
At last engine running without problems

I have posted some videos on my sky drive to share with the engine running without problems, This was a major task removing the unused wires without a good wire diagram. I managed as well to remove the instrument cluster. The only problem I had with the alternator charging. I would like to keep the original dashboard look of the 1303. I managed to trace the alternator problem. I installed an external exitation lamp like the one on the original 1303 and it worked.

Please download the videos from the following link and you will see my engine running on the floor pan.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=4a4f...#cid=4A4F3C183ED46F3E&id=4A4F3C183ED46F3E!196

Danielg42

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat BHW - 6 speed manual
Neat project!
For some reason, your skydrive isn't able to play the video.
Maybe try something like youtube?