VV Diesel Glow Plug Harness Quick Disconnect Connector?

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
VW Diesel Glow Plug Harness Quick Disconnect Connector?

Glow plug harness (AKA the Bridge) on the 96 Passat TDI comes with a male quick disconnect connector. Does anybody know the VW part Number for the Female portion of that quick disconnect connector/plug. My local VW dealer parts dept. could not find it in the IPC and the car didn't come with that Factory modification. Want to do the mod to make maintenance easier.
The glow plug harness must have a female side somewhere online, no? Has anyone found it or retro fit one? How much amps do the two wires carry and what are the proper connectors to carry that amperage?
My new one looks like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-MK3-MK4-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20d44426e6

Last edited:

rjsummer

TDI
Gray 2003 TDi GLS 5spd Sunroof
If you can hang on till tomorrow, I did that exact thing, installed a quick connect deal with original VW connectors. Ive since sold the car to my daughter and will get the part numbers off the connectors when she comes over tonight, post em tomorrow. incidentally, that was over 5 years ago and I've never had to reaplace it since the modification. LOL

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
@rjsummer Thanks so much for looking on the family members car. I will check back for the numbers when you post them. Once you had the numbers did you just buy them directly from your local VW dealership? Or buy online somewhere?

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
there should be the two matching female connectors in the big round connector near the head.. but you're saying your passat does not have that??

btw, you can get most of the standard vw connectors from digikey.com - they are made by te connectivity. just look for the "timer contacts" in rectangular connectors. there are micro timer contacts, junior timer, and standard timer, part of the "AMP" line. i was going to post up a cross-reference at some point. then all you need is a good crimp tool

Last edited:

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Where is the female connector located on the big round connector? Can I open the round piece somehow?

Images below to view:

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
the cylinder glow plugs are two thick black wires, positions #8 and #16 (there should be matching large orange sealed plugs on the female side). there are three other thick black wires are for the coolant glow plugs. if you can't see which just trace which ones are the coolant glow plugs, and the other two will be the cylinder plugs.

surfbus

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 03 Jetta
Are you saying that behind the small orange circular plugs are female connectors? (pictured in my 4th photo)

I'm just worried to pull out those wires to ruin something. If there is nothing behind them I will solder the black wires again that I cut. I'm hoping to finish this after I return from work today.

Last edited:

Juan911

TDI
Jetta Tdi
help

2003 Jetta 1.9 Having hard problems when starting the engine, its fire on the 3 try, but when you disconnect the cold star sensor at the first try is on. All ready install new glow plugs, even the relay for the glow plugs, even all ready install a new green cold star sensor. After the first star there’s no problem after that to fire up the engine. Help me please

rjsummer

TDI
Sorry for the delay, couldn't remember for the life of me what forum I posted this topic response on. 2 pin Glow plug bus connectors. Female end 1J0 973 852. Male end 1J0 973 752. Order from the VW dealer.

rjsummer

TDI

First pic, back of connector soldered to to car's glow plug wires that were cut just short of the old bus.
Second pic, harness unplugged.
Third pic, connector plugged in.

Last edited: