VSS issues after clutch change

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Ever since I changed my clutch I started having issues with a bouncing/beeping fuel gauge, no speedometer, and no doors locking automatically after driving away. Doing some reading online I've narrowed it down to the VSS which I also have a fault code for. I made sure it was plugged in correctly, and I know I didn't damage the plug on removal. Also checked the fuse #7(?) which was ok. Anyone know what else could be the issue? It was not a problem before the clutch job.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Just read it's possible to clip on the connector wrong so I checked and did it again-no dice. Is there a particular way it should be reconnected?

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Did you connect all the ground wires around the trans?

I think there was just one I disconnected if I recall, by the shift linkages. That one is hooked up.

Last edited:

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
There's a little disk that sits in the VSS before you put the connector on top of it. Check to see if that's still there. Doing my buddies clutch on his 1.8t we misplaced it and had the exact issues you're having.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Thanks a lot. This may be my issue. I think the last time I tried reseating the plug I saw no disc. I'm guessing it's metal to conduct current? Going to check this afternoon.

There's a little disk that sits in the VSS before you put the connector on top of it. Check to see if that's still there. Doing my buddies clutch on his 1.8t we misplaced it and had the exact issues you're having.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
So, no disc unfortunately. Maybe I'll try a junkyard this weekend.

intro

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta Wagon
Thank you! You were right.
I spent some time looking for the right sensor. More autos than manuals at the junkyard, and it looks like there is a difference in sensor styles among the mk4 manual gearboxes as well. Finally found a couple. I feel like I may have spotted this at one point cleaning up, but can't remember. Now I get how it works I guess, it spins and there must be some magnetic pulse that is read and translated by the revolutions of the disc. Weird how it fixes the gas gauge and door lock issues.

Matdman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS
Thank you! You were right.
I spent some time looking for the right sensor. More autos than manuals at the junkyard, and it looks like there is a difference in sensor styles among the mk4 manual gearboxes as well. Finally found a couple. I feel like I may have spotted this at one point cleaning up, but can't remember. Now I get how it works I guess, it spins and there must be some magnetic pulse that is read and translated by the revolutions of the disc. Weird how it fixes the gas gauge and door lock issues.
Awesome! Glad I was able to help. Yeah, the VSS surprisingly does a lot. You probably didn't notice it, but it also controls wiper speed compared to vehicle speed.

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
No? If you set your wipers on the first speed, you'll notice they wipe less often when you're stopped, and more often while you're moving down the road. VSS signal to the ECU does all that.
Can't say I ever noticed it.
Will have to watch.