looking at ordering a sachs vr6 clutch kit, with SMF

i also want to change the rear main seal while the car is down

question is
for those who have done this

do i order

oem rear main seal
or
vr6 rear main seal

i suspect i use the OEM tdi seal, but i was talking to a buddy who said if im converting the clutch and flywheel i may need to convert the rear main seal as well

for anyone who's done it, and im sure plenty of you have, please enlighten me

thanks guys

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
ALH

and to answer why id replace the rear man seal
the engine has about 199k miles
will have 200k by the time i do the job

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
TDI seal. Make sure you get the updated teflon style seal with the metal carrier. The plastic insert that comes on the seal is there to help you install it. Just push it on and the insert pushes out keeping the protecting the seal and keeping it from rolling.

Make sure the crank surface is clean and dry, no lube. And let the seal sit for 4 (or is it 6?) hours afterwards without disturbing it. As long as you follow this its a foolproof job.

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
awesome...
also where would you guys suggest ordering the vr6 clutch kit including SMF

idparts has it
mjmautohaus has it
others awsell

but the pricing varies significantly
im wondering if i get the same kit, from the least expensive seller, is it a different kit?
is it missing something or include different parts that im not seeing in the discription?

the difference is as great as $100
worth asking questions at that savings

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
First off there are two SMF VR6 clutch kits out there, Valeo and Sachs. The Valeo unit is typically cheaper if I remember correctly, but it also holds less power and uses a proprietary flywheel. Some kits include throwout bearing, alignment tool, bolts, etc...others don't. And some kits have different flywheels. Stay away from the Eurospec flywheels, and the standard 14.5 lb flywheel that comes with many Sachs kits. A stock weight flywheel is best.

In fact, your cheapest/best option would probably be to find a stock used G60/VR6 flywheel from a junkyard. I've seen them go for as cheap as $30. Spend $20 or so to get it resurfaced, and then just buy the clutch kit (sans flywheel obviously) and you are good to go.

Iflyasa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
so im gathering from that link that even a stock ~20lb smf from a vr6 is actually lighter than the dmf in my tranny?

would there actually be any benefit from getting this light flywheel aside from less likely failure of the dmf?

or is the less likely failure, and possible rattle the only difference?
aside from obviously more clamping force

Ben Dur

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW golf tdi
clearification...

there are obviously differences, but im refering differences in acceleration, idle, response, etc

ive read conflicting arguments on performance from lighter flywheels.
some say it is counter performance the lighter it goes, as the engine relies on the inertia of the flywheel.

others argue that the lighter flywheel is essentially like light wheels etc as there is less rotational mass and thus acceleration improves

at WOT is the inertia of the flywheel still an important factor in the performance of the engine? or is this mearly an issue at idle?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
also you will notice an improvement in acceleration with a lighter flywheel...I run a 13lb single mass...car is quicker and I noticed less smoke under wot....yes the rattle is bad :(...but I'm used to it...you may want to try a 17lb'er from bora parts