VR6 axles What else?

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
the VR6 axles really aren't stronger.. Well, the axle itself is, but the inboard joint on the TDI is stronger than the VR6.. The guts are bigger, and look to be more heavy duty.. I had one of each apart to compare and after looking at both for a little while, I went with stock axles for the monster over the VR6 axles..

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ya I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to make them fit LOL..

I'll be running stock axles until they fail, if they do.. Honestly I think the inner joint of the TDI axle is more robust than the VR6, not sure about the shaft itself, but I haven't broken either at this point.. I'm sure a pair of slicks can change that..

Scufi

TDI
2.0TDi 170
What`s wrong with some experimentation ? Engine modifications are fairly common and almost easy to do nowadays.

A new geometry is not. Here you can prove your skill.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I really doubt tourag axles will fit without cutting and rewelding. What is the point, they will be weak after that.

If you need super strong, raxles are the way to go. Some big power has been put down with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scufi

TDI
2.0TDi 170
Cutting and rewelding is useless.

Build a new subframe, or modifiy the existing one, rework the towers, try to determine best kingpin alignment. Hardcore.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I really doubt tourag axles will fit without cutting and rewelding. What is the point, they will be weak after that.

If you need super strong, raxles are the way to go. Some big power has been put down with those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya after some reading Raxles seems to be the way to go if you want a set that won't break..

Scufi

TDI
2.0TDi 170
Such a high price for two axles. With that kind of money you replace the whole front-end suspension and driveshafts.

MoldovaDIZEL

Vendor
TDI
mk4 TDI, 98 Cabrio AAZ
Ya I'm not sure it would be worth the trouble to make them fit LOL..

I'll be running stock axles until they fail, if they do.. Honestly I think the inner joint of the TDI axle is more robust than the VR6, not sure about the shaft itself, but I haven't broken either at this point.. I'm sure a pair of slicks can change that..
iv snapped the inner joint in 1st gear, stock turbo stock tune....just fuel mods...

replaced with a mk3 1.9td, its exactly the same haha.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
huh... I have 240k on OE axles with 200hp and 9" wide tires and I haven't blown one up yet, but I'm not lowered or anything so that might have a lot to do with it..

loudspl

Veteran Member
TDI
02 ASV w/ 02J
Raxles or Driveshaftshop...there may be others also
IIRC the Rally TDI Golf (circa 2005) had "1000hp" rated axles and still managed to snap inner joints, etc. when running slicks at the strip :eek:
Best option is just to run some OEM axles and if you lunch 'em they don't cost too much to replace (get at junkyards, etc.)
Don't run slicks and you should be fine