VR6 Axles in Mk3

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
How do I put VR6 axles or CV joints in my Mk3 without changing to the plus suspension.

I just broke an axle, and I think I need stronger ones to go with the 2056V

Last edited:

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
12MPGHWY said:
How do I put VR6 axles or U joints in my Mk3 without changing to the plus suspension.

I just broke an axle, and I think I need stronger ones to go with the 2056V
That's kind of surprising. I don't really think the mk3 VR6 axles are going to help you though as I think they're both 100mm. The VR6 axles have different outer splines.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Where did yours break?
I doubt it was the axle shaft itself, that it was more likely between the final drive output and the inner C/V, or between the outer C/V and the hub splines.

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
I'm also interested in an upgrade for my mk3 as well.I would like to upgrade to vr6 axles or somthing but don't realy want to swap brakes and everything.Can the vr6 hub and/or wheel bearing be modded to fit the smaller system?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
andy2 said:
I'm also interested in an upgrade for my mk3 as well.I would like to upgrade to vr6 axles or somthing but don't realy want to swap brakes and everything.Can the vr6 hub and/or wheel bearing be modded to fit the smaller system?
I'm using mk3 VR6 hubs pressed into the 4 cylinder knuckles (the bearings are the same) with mk4 6 speed 108mm axles. The brakes consist of G60 rotors with the 5 lug pattern drilled into the hats, and Girling 60 dual piston calipers.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Same here, I used golf mk4 PD130 bearing and hubs in a mk3 vearing carrier, I had to use IIRC 2mm spacer between the hub abd the bearing to have the same distance for the ABS sensor

Lug_Nut

TDI
andy2 said:
I'm also interested in an upgrade for my mk3 as well.I would like to upgrade to vr6 axles or somthing but don't realy want to swap brakes and everything. Can the vr6 hub and/or wheel bearing be modded to fit the smaller system?
Which is why I asked if the axle shaft broke, or if the C/V and flange or hub drive broke.
I believe the axle shafts are the same between the VR6 and the four cylinder cars, that the differences are in the C/V and flanges.
If that is indeed the case, then the installation of the 4 cylinder C/V and hub splined drive on a "VR6" axle will be no different than a four cylinder axle assembly.
If the o.p.'s axle shaft broke with the 4 cylinder assembly, the shaft would have broken had it been the identical VR6 shaft.
If his C/V or axle assembly end had been the point of failure, then retaining of the 4 cylinder C/V and end (to permit retaining the four bolt hub and brakes) would still be using the same item that had failed.

It is my understanding that the VR6 axle swap is to obtain the bigger diameter brakes, and that axle durability was not a consideration, because most of the axle components are the same.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
MK3 upgrade:

-MK4 VR6 axles
-108mm flanges
-MK3 bearing carrier
-MK4 PD130 bearing and hub(redrilled)

is necessary other parts?

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
I had to use a 2mm spacer between the hub and the bearing to get correct distance to the ABS sensor.. you can also use PD130/150 golf/leon eaxles and shorten them a little ;)

12MPGHWY

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I haven't taken anything off the car, but it looks like the inner CV cup broke, so I will probably just get another set of 4cyl axles and try and be easier on them.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Mk3 5 speeds will not fit the 100mm axle flanges... Ask me how I know..

But if you buy a new transmission you can put them in!

Best bet.. Buy a new axle

Lug_Nut

TDI
So, I'm asking: How do you know?
I understood that the manual A3 TDI and VR6 use the 100 mm flange C/V. How do they differ?
The <edit>automatic<end edit> A3 2.0 uses the tri-pode inner C/V.

Last edited:

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
is the mk4 outer CV bigger than a mk3 5 stud??

what mods can be done to my standard 5 stud shafts/cv's to make them last longer as i have serious worries. I was going to strip them down and regrease the CV's.

Ideally when i get a 6 speed i'll get 108mm inner cv's, shortened shafts, mk4 outer cv's and hub flanges.

Ry

Lug_Nut

TDI
Lug_Nut said:
The manual A3 2.0 uses the tri-pode C/V.
vwmikel said:
I think the automatic does, but not the manual.
:eek: What what I thinking when I typed that? I should know better. I have 2.0 manual axles bolted up to the 100 mm flange outputs on the TDI transmission in my Cabrio.

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
Rub87 said:
I had to use a 2mm spacer between the hub and the bearing to get correct distance to the ABS sensor.. you can also use PD130/150 golf/leon eaxles and shorten them a little ;)
My car hasn't ABS,then, are the parts in the list above correct?:)

andy2

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Jetta,94 Golf drag car 585bhp,Samurai buggy BHW 300bhp,97 Ram cummins
Anyone know if the 108mm flange will work in the 02A trans or will they just work in the 02J ?

I'll likely just stick with the 100mm vr6 axles unless the 108mm system is that much stronger?

The 108mm axles have bigger flange bolts which I like but has anyone ever broken the smaller 100mm axle flange bolts instead of breaking the cv joint?

Thanks for the input guys.

Rub87

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ibiza '99 90HP
Still think you best need to use a spacer when you go for the mk4 flanges to make sure the brake disc is in the center of the caliper..

D_Bat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Why don't you just want to swap over to bigger better VR6 brakes? Can't ever have enough braking. :) Just do the swap and then swap over to the MK3 axles. What part of your axle broke? Was it the shaft or was it at the CV joint? If you want uprated axles, go to the Drive Shaft Shop. They'll probably make you any strength and combination of axle ends that you'd ever want.

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
sorry to bring back this topic to the top, are all 5 lug hubs M14 and all 4 lug hubs M12? I'm doing the conversion from 5x100 to 4x100 and found this surprise when trying to keep a common hole for 4 and 5x100 :(

CrAzYDr1veR

Veteran Member
TDI
MK1 Rabbit
i bought some m14 this morning to avoid changing the m14 to m12 and make a weak point, the disc will have to be drilled too because it's m13 :(

TDI
none
sorry to bump this old thread but i am doing the same mkiv vr6 axle swap on my vw (getting rid of 01m trans and going 02j) but i have a aba instead (should be the same knuckles n all as a tdi).anyways will there be any issues with running my aba rotors n calipers without them having a weird offset or anything?i dont have abs so i dont need to space the hub.thanks