VR6 axle swap 'How To'

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
I looked and looked with no success. The vibration isn't in the steering wheel and only happens at those rpm's regardless if I'm on the throttle or not. I'm going to take a peek to make sure there's nothing obviously wrong. Chances are I'm in the market for some hollow axles.

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
Have you broken OEM axles yet?:confused:

Wingnut said:
Yes, they are more stout. When you are pushing almost 170hp & almost 300 lbs/ft of torque, the OEM parts don't seem to do well. As you can see from the bolt sizes, these axles are more durable under the extra stress imposed on them by the increased power :D

Satiro

Veteran Member
TDI
IBIZA 1.9TDI 110hp AFN 1998
I want to upgrade my axles... is absolutely necessary to make a 5 lugs conversion for to mount it in a 1998 TDI? is there other kind of axles(stronger than stock old tdi axles) that fits in a old TDI?

Last edited:

drkblujetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Audi A4 ALH TDI
I did search and found a few.......Thanks

But I am wondering if this is the weakest link with "power enhancements" in the driveline.:)

Or have people consistantly broken these axles heavily modded:cool:

mkosem

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDi
I busted an inner CV with only Sprint 764s on. I'd think it might be a bit of a trip to pop the shafts themselves. They look pretty hefty. Do the VR6 CVs fit on the TDI shafts?

--Matt

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Just finished putting in a hollow axle from a 1.8t on the passenger side. The vibrations are gone!!

DbLog said:
Did the swap today!! Thanks for the write up Wingnut. Put in solid axles from diveshaft.com and have a small vibration at 1800 rpm and it's worse between 3400-3800. Another post

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=173650

mentions solid axles might not be the best idea. Has anyone else come across problems using solid axles? I'm pretty damn sure they were installed correctly.

CarlUman

Veteran Member
TDI
13 Touareg
I'm sure this is not going to be the most popular how to I have ever done as it is limited to those who may have monster power upgrades. But I hope it helps those of you whe were thinking of undertaking this project.
I thinking about it so thanks :D

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
DbLog said:
Just finished putting in a hollow axle from a 1.8t on the passenger side. The vibrations are gone!!
I have hollow 1.8T shafts waiting to go in on both sides.. Maybe I'll drop them in this weekend, but while I am down there, I should do both LCA bushings and maybe the tierods...

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I am trying to upgrade my axles to VR6 or 1.8T in my TDI, but when calling the wrecking yard, they ask me all kinds of questions like what year is the VR6 is it Manual or automatic? could someone plese tell me what year I should be asking for the VR6 or 1.8t so I could buy these axles,, thanks a million,

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
2000 to 2004 Vr6 and 1.8T manual tranny,, so now I have a choice if I can't find VR6 axles, then I could ask for the 1.8T axles,, Thanks a millon Wingnuts

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
The axle's on the auto trans VR6/18T are different?

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ah.....so close.

MHA, did you ever get your vibration problem fixed? Was it the CV's?

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
mannytranny said:
Ah.....so close.

MHA, did you ever get your vibration problem fixed? Was it the CV's?
I am not sure of the vibration you are referring to?? :confused:

I had a vibrating noise, but nothing that changed how the car felt. The noise was from my EGR flex pipe cracking.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ooops.....I think it was mydeathbynapalm who had the problem.

I get those long names confused from time to time....:D

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
Since I'm about to take the entire front of my car apart (the A4), I'm thinking of going ahead and doing a VR6 axle swap.

What are pro's/cons to VR6 vs 1.8T axles?

Have many who have done the VR6 swap had problems with resonance at certain RPM's?

Just wondering what the latest conventional wisdom on this swap is before I jump in.

I'm also interested in doing a Peloquin since I'll also have the tranny out doing a clutch and would like to know what all I should do to the tranny while it is out.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
everyone wants more power in the end. I have 1.8t's in my car they are the same thing i think.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Pkg 1, 5 Spd, Graphite Blue / 2002 Jetta GLS, Black w/tan leather
DbLog said:
Don't use a solid passenger side axle and you should be ok.
Are the VR6 or 1.8t axles solid??? They don't look like they are.

hutchman

Veteran Member
TDI
milehighassassin said:
I really don't see the point unless you are planning some decent power.
... got more than decent power now. Planning on more. Is there ever enough?

Now I want to use the power without being concerned about breaking something.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
hutchman said:
... got more than decent power now. Planning on more. Is there ever enough?

Now I want to use the power without being concerned about breaking something.
If you are that is great. For a chipped car on the stock turbo the OEM's will be fine.

If you are going Big Turbo, full exhaust, proper tuning and injectors, then it might be worth considering.

For me the TDI is the daily and as of right now I am still on stock programming. I do plan on eventually going Alligator, probably a full exhaust, but I doubt I will do much more. If the turbo goes for the 2nd time I will probably upgrade to a VNT17, but even then I think the stock axles will be fine.

TDIinTexas

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2010 JSW TDI
I'm showing remans for $70.00 for the left and $74.00 for the right. So I would shop around before going to the wrecking yard. ;) That's VR6 for the left and 1.8T for the right.

David